Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

IFR : What is the correct way to let P2A know change of plan?

I am using Pilot2ATC to create my IFR flight plan and I am uncertain about order of operation or how much detail it needs to have. 

Both active departure runway and arrival runway could theoretically change after I file my IFR flight plan. 

So in general what is the best way to choose SID, STAR and arrival procedure?

For departure: I am thinking of listening to ATIS for active runway to determine SID?

For arrival: When P2A says "expect ILS Runway XX" is when proc should be activated? Is there any harm choosing it before even departure?

If I don't choose a PROC during filing the flight, then what is the correct method of choosing it in flight?  Do I choose it in my G1000, then also choose it in P2A, then disconnect/reconnect and re file the flight plan?

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

Both active departure runway and arrival runway could theoretically change after I file my IFR flight plan. 

So in general what is the best way to choose SID, STAR and arrival procedure?

I don't pre-select them -- P2A does a pretty good job when using the AutoPlan. You only need the main route -- i.e DEP APT-WAYPOINTS-ARR APT.

You can easily check that it has chosen wisely (if not drop Dave a line -- I did for a bad EGLL approach taking me way over the other side of the airport, and it was duly fixed).

Of course, the departure and arrival may change. You need to heed the departure details given in your Clearance.

I don't usually fill in the Arrival in my CDU until it is assigned, though I do sometimes make a guess.

I think you can force P2A to assign SIDs and STARS of your choice, but this seems to detract from one of the main advantages of the program compared to, say, Radar Contact or PF3.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Runway dependent SIDS and STARS have long been a problem in real-world ops as well. Large airline dispatch offices commonly have multiple route operations per city-pair with automation selecting the most cost effective. More recent designs have focused on uncoupling runway dependency where possible.