Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Saitek Throttle Quadrant problem with FS2004

Hello to you all,

I have broached this topic previously but have not been able to sort it out.

My problem is that I have disconnected an unserviceable Saitek dinplug connector throttle quadrant which leaves me with just a USB plug Saitek throttle quadrant. This combination (yoke, USB throttle quadrant, trim wheel and rudder pedals work well in all respects, with Xplane 11. It does NOT, however, work with FS2004. I have tried to calibrate it and it calibrates normally (ie the crosses travel normal distances across and up and down the square.)

However, when I get into FS2004 and try to use the quadrant for throttles 1 and 2 with the third lever being used for flaps, I am finding that throttle 1 works normally and throttle two is either full on or full off. In the aircraft the throttle lever moves normally and very smoothly, but the throttle response comes on only at the extreme ends of the lever travel. This is reflected with the engine 2 noise level and the rev counter. I have also played around with sensitivities etc with no joy.

I then got a heavy case of the smarts and unticked the enable joystick control, deleted all the axis and buttons in FS2004 controls assignments, and verified nothing was connected. I then set up FSUIPC (latest Version) with my settings and got very much the same responses.

Following that, I  deleted (after back up) my FS2004 config and re ran the programme.  No change whatsoever. For further information all my controls are plugged into a powered USB hub and have been for about ten years now.

XPlane11  gives all the normal responses and is working well with this combination.

As previously mentioned, I am off to Australia next week and I have already organised the purchase of two x Saitek USB throttle quadrants. I am now wondering if in fact the problem is a compatibility thing (not having the din connected quadrant plugged in to the yoke) and despite the fact that I can find no items regarding this anywhere, I am starting to have my doubts

I now figure that either FS2004 is telling me it is time to move on, or, that I have two options ..... 1 completely uninstall and then reinstall FS2004 to see if that works, and 2. abandon my plans to purchase two quadrants and buy the yoke with din quadrant in lieu ... my USB throttle quadrant is working well after cleaning the pots. so I would end up with what I used to have. That option, however, introduces a weight factor (excess baggage) with NoStar oops...Jetstar who tend to penalize people harshly for excess baggage. I was charged AUD25 for being 450 grams over my already paid for 40kg excess baggage on my last trip with them. and the cost difference is quite considerable between the two quads and the yoke and quad.

I would really love some help on this and if anyone is actually using two USB quadrants in lieu of one din plug and one USB quadrants successfully could they please let me know how it is done.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I would really love some help on this and if anyone is actually using two USB quadrants in lieu of one din plug and one USB quadrants successfully could they please let me know how it is done.

It seems very unlikely to me that this would work in FSX but not FS2004, since they are basically the same core product. If I can be bothered later today (ans assuming nobody has replied definitively in the meantime) I will try installing FS2004 and try my two scrap USB quads together with it.

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Mark,

Thanks mate. I notice that you mention FSX and I have not. I have only tried this in FS2004 and in XPlane11. As stated XPlane11 is fine with just the one USB quadrant but FS2004 does not play the game.

However, if you do install FS2004 and it works with the two USB quadrants that info will definitely solve my query.

Waiting with bated breath and gratitude

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

49 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Thanks mate. I notice that you mention FSX and I have not

That's because I know from personal experience it works fine in FSX.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

5 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

However, if you do install FS2004 and it works with the two USB quadrants that info will definitely solve my query.

Holy cow, that was more trouble than I expected. Finally got FS9 installed and had to figure out that Windows 7 x64 update KB3086255 stops it from running :(

But sorted now, and I can report that I mapped both quads independently in FS9. I am not using FSUIPC. I mapped the throttle1/2, prop1/2 and mixture1/2 axes to the quads. I had elevator, ailerons and rudder on a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick. It all worked as expected when I tested with the Beech Baron. (Okay, the Baron has auto-mixture so I only really tested throttles and props, but that's four axes split across the two quads.)

Hope that helps.

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Mark,

Thank you so very much for that information mate. I appreciate the extra mile you put in too.

Also, probably understanably, a great relief.  Looks like a reinstall of FS2004 for me as well.

Thanks again mate.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.