Sign in to follow this  
Guilleair

Compatibility with Active Sky

Hi,

I wanted to know if it's compatible or if it even makes any sense to use DX10 Cloud Shadow with Active Sky.

Best regards.

DX10 Fixer fixed anomalies with shadows in FSX. If you ever saw flickering in the taxiways, airport buildings, or runways, you saw anomalies with fsx shadowing techniques.  So, why wouldn't the DX10 Fixer want to fix the cloud shadows too? Active Sky is one of those addons that is fully compatible with fsx especially if DX10 Fixer is also installed.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Fixer only fixes those anomalies listed above when the DX10 option is ticked in FSX. The "Cloud Shadows" DX10 Fixer addon allows for cloud shadows to appear on the ground. That feature isn't included with just the DX10 Fixer. I can't vouch for Active Sky one way or another. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Jim Young said:

DX10 Fixer fixed anomalies with shadows in FSX

On 4/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Jim Young said:

Active Sky is one of those addons that is fully compatible with fsx especially if DX10 Fixer is also installed.

Gotcha, I'm asking because I don't know if it's necessary to buy the DX10 Cloud shadows for 4.99€ if I'm going to buy Active Sky. I know that DX10 fixer is compatible, but since both Active Sky and the cloud shadows seem similar that's why I ask.

Active Sky is a ( very good) weather engine.  It improves the accuracy of the weather representation by creating realistic cloudscapes.

Cloud shadows provides shadows on the ground underneath the clouds.

They do different things but are compatible.

• Upvote 1

TL;DR: You'll want all three (fixer, clouds, and active sky), and they work+look great together.

(or maybe four: +ASCA)