Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

How many add-on aircraft do you have?

This morning I went  to Sim Outhouse to find a repaint for my Cessna 310B (a favorite).  I have the U3A Blue Canoe and I am not fond of the yellow Songbird.  I found a nice repaint in dark and light blue.

I am amazed at all the available aircraft and repaints stored at SOH.  Must range in the thousands including the repaints and skins.  I got to wondering how many addon aircraft do you have for your simulators?

I run P3Dv4 for scenery and P3Dv3 for collecting aircraft.  I feel that among the collectors I might be at the low end with 65.  But it continues to grow as new FSX and P3D aircraft of interest to me become available.

How many do you have?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

65!!!!!! Oh my!!!! For  p3d Maybe 6.But only flying T Duke since Fsx. But a couple of weeks ago started flying MU-2 from Flysimware. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Hundreds of base aircraft multiplied by all their respective liveries and various wing configs = untold hundreds  more!  All for FSX-Steam.  Yes, I'm a download junkie - both freeware and payware -  but where can I go for rehab?  (Did I mention many, many gigs of scenery as well?)

About a dozen payware for P3DV4. Some times it's difficult to decide which one to roll out for a session. Some are quite expensive but not used much. My PMDG 777 comes to mind. Beautiful simulation but the long haul mission coupled with the automation doesn't draw me much. Gets boring. Since most of my flying is short haul with the NGX and Maddog  my A2A birds don't get much use either though they bring a big smile when I do take them for a joy flight. I have been using the PMDG QOTSII a lot lately though time compress usually comes into play there. So much to choose from these days.

Vic green

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

This morning I went  to Sim Outhouse to find a repaint for my Cessna 310B (a favorite).  I have the U3A Blue Canoe and I am not fond of the yellow Songbird.  I found a nice repaint in dark and light blue.

I am amazed at all the available aircraft and repaints stored at SOH.  Must range in the thousands including the repaints and skins.  I got to wondering how many addon aircraft do you have for your simulators?

I run P3Dv4 for scenery and P3Dv3 for collecting aircraft.  I feel that among the collectors I might be at the low end with 65.  But it continues to grow as new FSX and P3D aircraft of interest to me become available.

How many do you have?

Noel

I have quite a suite of aircraft, between P3DV4 and Xplane11.  Easily I have spent more than a thousand dollars on add-on aircraft and I do not regret it.  I look at it this way, if you go to a concert once a month at $100 a pop, that's $1200 a year, and that is usually just for yourself.  The add on aircraft are an entertainment and learning investment of a far greater value and if these two sims did not support them, I would be spending more money on real flight and no money on simming.  Who could imagine sitting in the virtual cockpit of a bizjet, or an airliner, or having one's feet dangling from an ultralight gyro like the VSkylabs gyro in Xplane11.  Xplane11 is mostly my Microlight and GA platform, and rotorcraft platform, though I do have a Pilatus, a Bizjet, and some add on airliners like the Boeing BBJ and Dash 100/300 and ATR 72 and Fokker F50.

P3DV4 is mostly my platform for twin engine aircraft, larger bizjets, and larger business tprops.

I must have about 100 aircraft between the two sims, starting with zero 18 months ago because my old system crashed and I lost all my add-on aircraft.  Luckily some vendors let me install my licensed aircraft in P3DV4, including Lionheart, Carenado, Alabeo, and RealAir.  I did repurchase a few Carenado titles before learning that they had retained my license info, God bless them and the other vendors who accepted me as an honest simmer, especially RealAir.  That is one reason I like the screenshots forum, it establishes having purchased such aircraft in FS9 or FSX.

Add on scenery is new to me, I purchased MSE's photo scenery for P3DV4 at HLJames suggestion and never looked back, even though it is lower res than the Ortho Photo scenery I generated covering the same area in Xplane11.  I have Simheaven scenery, their forests and VFR Landmarks for Xplane11, just awesome depth they add for free, plus OpensceneryX and a handful of freeware airport upgrades for my fav western airports, from Portland, down the California Coast, and into Arizona and New Mexico.

I do not know how to thank the payware and freeware developers enough for what they have given me from MSFS to P3D to Xplane11.  I pray the payware developers are well compensated for what they do.  Their talents include: Computer Aided Design (which one has to study at a college level to be proficient, a friend of mine is a pilot too and a draftsman), Art (creating GA and airline liveries), and programming, programming, programming (creating amazing gauges, Aerobask for instance in Xplane11 has great gauges for their Eclipse).

I humbly added a few things to the hobby over the years, Landclass Assistant for creating landclass from FS2002 to P3DV4, not used much anymore with all the good photoreal scenery out there, an ultralight trike that worked in P3DV4 until the 4.4 update, which made parts of it transparent and no good for flying anymore, and I made Colorado Photo scenery which works in FSX and P3DV4.  I also made "Soft Horizons" for FS9 and FSX, my fav contribution

My contributions pale in comparison though, they were quickly and rougly done, compared to the long dev time it takes to churn out outstanding payware like we have today.  Hopefully Aerofly FS2 will get increasing support with aircraft add-ons, another sim improves competition.

John

I reckon I can beat all of you ... for the fewest addon aircraft. 😁

For P3D v3 and v4 I have the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 and the Carenado PC-12.

For P3D v3 only I have FSL Concorde. And for v4 only the PMDG737 NGX.

That’s four and I have no immediate plans to buy any more.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

For P3D V4, I have the PMDG Boeing 747-400 and 747-8 along with the QualityWings Boeing 787. I count three, which is less than four.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Ray. Maybe it's best to specialize as you do. Some time I feel like a flying jack off all trades, master of none ,with too many study level planes but limited time and patience. Well plenty of time being retired but even so my old bum can stand only so much setting at the computer.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I agree with those who have a limited number of aircraft to fly exclusively.  I also agree with those with several hangars full of aircraft who choose to fly a fighter one day, and ultra light the next and then an airliner.

I happen to ascribe to both.

My P3Dv4 installation covers the entire globe.  I have all the Orbx scenery plus some other scenery so I can fly in Alaska or Australia or from Lhasa to Lukla or explore Tahiti.  But I only have two aircraft I fly in P3Dv4; The Lionheart Quest Kodiak on wheels and on floats.  That's it.

On the other hand my P3Dv3 installation is where my airplane collection hangs out.  I only have North American scenery installed and my 65 aircraft in a collection that is still growing.

More than my flight interests my fight simulators are imaginary worlds  I can escape to in these days of global and political turmoil.  A world where there are no wars and I need no passports.  When my wife comes in and says, "Noel, guess what I just heard on the news, " I reply, "Not now dear, I'm in one of my other worlds."

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I agree with those who have a limited number of aircraft to fly exclusively.  I also agree with those with several hangars full of aircraft who choose to fly a fighter one day, and ultra light the next and then an airliner.

I happen to ascribe to both.

My P3Dv4 installation covers the entire globe.  I have all the Orbx scenery plus some other scenery so I can fly in Alaska or Australia or from Lhasa to Lukla or explore Tahiti.  But I only have two aircraft I fly in P3Dv4; The Lionheart Quest Kodiak on wheels and on floats.  That's it.

On the other hand my P3Dv3 installation is where my airplane collection hangs out.  I only have North American scenery installed and my 65 aircraft in a collection that is still growing.

More than my flight interests my fight simulators are imaginary worlds  I can escape to in these days of global and political turmoil.  A world where there are no wars and I need no passports.  When my wife comes in and says, "Noel, guess what I just heard on the news, " I reply, "Not now dear, I'm in one of my other worlds."

Noel

We seem to fly for the same reason.  Whether I sim or fly in real life, when I am above the world I feel above all the strife, and the world below seems so delicate, and in my hands, as if my countenance can somehow offer it a small measure of peace.  I have always felt that way flying, for I was taught early on in my touring church choir which toured by bus and airline in the late 60's to mid 70's, that I was an ambassador for our location of Napa wherever I traveled, in whatever country I traveled, in whatever state, Canadian state, and Mexican state. 

I still travel with that in mind with a "When in Rome" attitude unless the locals are cannibals, lol, then I run screaming back to the airport I landed in.  I met my spouse that way, a foreign national when I met her, she is now a US Citizen as of last year, her 23rd year in the US.  I have made so many friends abroad, when I think about it I have more friends abroad than in the US because most of my work colleagues were either European, Asian, Persian, Arab or from India. 

When I was in college in the late 70's-early 80's, a number of our students were from the middle east on a foreign exchange program, tough for them because it was when the Iranian hostage crisis was happening.  But they were a fun and hospitable bunch, and they helped me when I had to write a term paper on Islam for my cultural anthropology class, and I knew nothing of the religion or culture.  They were truly men of peace, some from Pakistan, Saudi and the UAE. 

When I became a business systems instructor many of my employees were also from the Middle East, mostly Pakistan or Egypt, and they worshiped the ground I walked on because I helped them in many ways, including navigating thru US airports which were big and overwhelming to them in those days, nowadays many Middle Eastern airports are bigger than any in the Western World.  So my simming is about learning, it helps me if I take flight lessons, teaches me navigation and dead reckoning, and how to handle crosswinds, especially in Xplane11 which I feel handles them better than P3DV4.

When I took my first Light Sport flight lesson in 2006, my CFI was pleased I knew MSFS, he knew MSFS, and thus he knew that I could identify the use and purpose of every single gauge in my steam gauge driven Light Sport Allegro trainer, as well as handle its GPS which was a simple LCD grayscale GPS at that time.

My add on collection is large mainly because I can fly the same route 100 different ways, or fly 100 routes times 100 aircraft, in other words never running out of a new challenge.  I challenge myself in the sims, I think, I work my mind, and I hand fly most of my flights with the exception of aircraft in the flight levels, then I will use the autopilot to handle the one to two hour stretch between takeoff and landing.  I never use an ILS, just once I have recently, but I used to use them more when I had a add on I made called Autoland Assistant way back when for MSFS that used FSUIPC before it became payware.

John

5 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Hi Ray. Maybe it's best to specialize as you do. Some time I feel like a flying jack off all trades, master of none ,with too many study level planes but limited time and patience. Well plenty of time being retired but even so my old bum can stand only so much setting at the computer.

Hi Vic, I decided not to use the jack of all trades as it could be construed negatively by those who like variety. They're free to spend their money as they see fit but I prefer to become an expert (or as close as I can) to each aircraft I fly.

It helps keep the grey cells active which is just as important as physical exercise. Walking up and down the stairs achieves that! 😁 Only joking, I do go out walking with friends.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
spelling

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Over the years (been simming since about 18 year now) I've progressively got pickier and my free time progressively less, so since I went P3D I have only two aircraft installed: JustFlight Socata TB-10 & TB-20 and Majestic Q400. I have quite a bit of scenery though.

Widebodies no longer interest me, been there, done that (with likes of PSS A330 and LVD 767); these days I like to keep my flights under 2 hours. I use to rave about Airbuses too but I got bored of the heavy automation so that limits me even more. And as the scenery has improved my interest in GA has grown. I may purchase the CS 757 or upcoming E-Jets, these days my sweet spot is regional aircraft as the legs are short and cockpit busy. Whenever PMDG get around to putting the J41 in to P3D like they've been saying for years that'll be a day 1 purchase.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

11 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

For P3D V4, I have the PMDG Boeing 747-400 and 747-8 along with the QualityWings Boeing 787. I count three, which is less than four.

For P3D V4, I have the PMDG 737NG and the FSX default C172. I count two, which is less than three 😃

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Count me on the more minimalist side as well.  My grand total of payware planes in my simming history is 15.  Currently in P3D I have 5 of those installed, but in the last year-plus I've only flown 3 of them.  I typically fly 1 plane for weeks and then move to another and stay with it for weeks and then move to the third.  Rinse, repeat.

For me, the fun is in learning to fly each as well and in as realistic a manner as possible.  Not knocking those who take a more playful approach - to each their own - but that's what puts smiles on my face.

Scott

For FSX I have 135 addon aircraft.  Some in Simojects/Airplanes folder, some in a civilian aircraft hangar folder and most in a military aircraft hangar folder.

Just downloaded Milton's new Howard model this morning.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: