Ekim

P3d 4.5 is out!

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

You should be OK. You are correct as usual. The way I described is developer friendly but also is quick, simple and has no problems after the install - none.

i will be adopting this goong forward!

• Like 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

i will be adopting this goong forward!

If you copy the P3D program folder first you also keep the planes because during the uninstall, as Symbol said, the original files are removed leaving only changed and added files. A developer might also rename the pictures folder for referring to the shots on a per version basis.

Most xml addons can be dropped into the new P3D addons folder and away they go, no need for reinstalling. Do one at a time and start P3D each time as some set-up functions might only complete after the next P3D run. Some addons require an update to go with any new P3D build, others do not; check with developer.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve been reading this thread and it seems like every user has some “secret sauce” way to update their installation, with some going to what seem like unnecessary lengths.

I installed my first P3D install with v4.4, so this is my first version upgrade. At this point, I used ActiveSky, Ultimate Traffic Live, various A2A aircraft, and some scenery add ons.

Is there a reason the basic upgrade process on LM’s P3D forums won’t work?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I’ve been reading this thread and it seems like every user has some “secret sauce” way to update their installation, with some going to what seem like unnecessary lengths.

I installed my first P3D install with v4.4, so this is my first version upgrade. At this point, I used ActiveSky, Ultimate Traffic Live, various A2A aircraft, and some scenery add ons.

Is there a reason the basic upgrade process on LM’s P3D forums won’t work?

I went from 4.4. to 4.5. (Client only) by following Poppets instructions..

1. Uninstall 4.4. Client - do NOT deactivate the P3D install

2. Delete Shaders folder (or its contents)

3. Install the 4.5. Client, and be patient when starting up P3D.. it needs to rebuild the shaders.

That is it!  :wink:

Posted (edited)

The differences of system are from the variation in the preferred type of flight sim and the set of software built up according to that taste. rather than to get around some kind of issue inherent with the upgrade.

Cruachan mentioned; why do it any other way when the functions are in place and also by the way addons are described to cooperate with the sim. That's exactly what allows me to adopt so effectively the method I described, in that the simulator, or addons, can be switched in and out with no fuss.

Edited by SteveW

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I went from 4.4. to 4.5. (Client only) by following Poppets instructions..

1. Uninstall 4.4. Client - do NOT deactivate the P3D install

2. Delete Shaders folder (or its contents)

3. Install the 4.5. Client, and be patient when starting up P3D.. it needs to rebuild the shaders.

That is it!  :wink:

That's one indication of trying to avoid something that can go wrong if you've installed something that messes with the sim. In your case: Shaders.

When you get an upgrade from LM the shaders requiring a rebuild are already flagged (for rebuild), so no need to delete the shaders. Which, if you sim all over the world, can take months to replace in reality. Generally most are built in the first two minutes giving rise to poor performance during then.

Edited by SteveW

...also, don't forget to consider that the Prepar3D.CFG file might need renaming to start a new one. Going back over the thread I think this and other ideas were mentioned.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

That's one indication of trying to avoid something that can go wrong if you've installed something that messes with the sim. In your case: Shaders.

When you get an upgrade from LM the shaders requiring a rebuild are already flagged (for rebuild), so no need to delete the shaders. Which, if you sim all over the world, can take months to replace in reality. Generally most are built in the first two minutes giving rise to poor performance during then.

Think he means deleting the actual Shaders themselves not the cache, as in ShadersHLSL, sometimes when uninstalling client if you've modified the shaders they won't all be deleted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, itsjase said:

sometimes when uninstalling client if you've modified the shaders they won't all be deleted.

...which is why it’s necessary to restore the original shaders (ShadersHLSL) before updating Client. If you don’t, I’m guessing you could run into problems next time you run PTA or TomatoShade. Always best to aim for a fresh start when updating.

Mike

8 hours ago, itsjase said:

Think he means deleting the actual Shaders themselves not the cache, as in ShadersHLSL, sometimes when uninstalling client if you've modified the shaders they won't all be deleted.

I think folk don't understand the shaders.

These are the instructions that describe the shaders.

They build the cache - that's the code of the shaders when the sim runs.

Once they've been built they might be updated when LM decides to change them.

There is no need to delete them because the ones required for change are flagged for changes in the update from LM and are rebuilt when you run the sim.

If you used an addon that changed them then it's possible these addons don't respect that, and so a plan has evolved to remove the cache and shader instructions completely first.

44 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I think folk don't understand the shaders.

These are the instructions that describe the shaders.

They build the cache - that's the code of the shaders when the sim runs.

Once they've been built they might be updated when LM decides to change them.

There is no need to delete them because the ones required for change are flagged for changes in the update from LM and are rebuilt when you run the sim.

If you used an addon that changed them then it's possible these addons don't respect that, and so a plan has evolved to remove the cache and shader instructions completely first.

I know how shaders work haha.

I'm just trying to say shader addons modify the shader source files (ShadersHLSL) and sometimes uninstalling client doesn't remove the modified ones, which can cause issues after an update.

7 minutes ago, itsjase said:

I know how shaders work haha.

I'm just trying to say shader addons modify the shader source files (ShadersHLSL) and sometimes uninstalling client doesn't remove the modified ones, which can cause issues after an update.

Sorry, perhaps you got the wrong end of the stick.

Poppet is a problem solver that works a lot on this stuff and is very helpful. The solution evolved is to simply remove the lot as Bert said.

I'm not saying you guys don't understand shaders, What I'm saying is that overall even the expert shader god isn't sure what's happened to them after messing with shader mods. So remove them. That is also the gist of what I was saying. I remove the entire thing in effect by renaming the proper set of folders.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

...guys. I (and Poppet) look at these problems as a user base, it is not the same idea as a personal user might see it. The nature of my posts are directed at solving the issues overall, not aimed at the individual. That's what I mean by evolving a plan. A plan that captures problems across all users, without having to know the exact situation underneath. My point was that as a developer I can't rely on just removing the shaders, so I posted the detail on how to do the complete thing. Bert's post is well meaning but it can still lead to many systems with problems. Sometimes systems get a bit tangled and it's best to start fresh. I have no option to start fresh. What Bert is saying is there's generally little to do wink-smiley.

Edited by SteveW

...yep, re-reading my post I said 'folk'. So let's keep it nice, when you look there's some degree of confusion surrounding the subjects in discussion. I'm not usually having the time to compose an entire post so make a trawl of posts when I'm dealing with something. I don't generally have much time to make my posts seem loveable, but I am here to help, honest! 🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Sorry, perhaps you got the wrong end of the stick.

Poppet is a problem solver that works a lot on this stuff and is very helpful. The solution evolved is to simply remove the lot as Bert said.

I'm not saying you guys don't understand shaders, What I'm saying is that overall even the expert shader god isn't sure what's happened to them after messing with shader mods. So remove them. That is also the gist of what I was saying. I remove the entire thing in effect by renaming the proper set of folders.

Sorry if my response sounded like I was annoyed, bad choice of words.

In the end we are all just trying to help each other.

Edited by itsjase
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This is what drives me nuts. It took me literally 3 days of "horsing" around to go from 4.3 to 4.4. I was very happy with it in the end. And I really only have a few addons: A2A, REX4, FlyTampa scenery (and a few other islands), and UTX Caribbean. And it takes days for a relatively computer-literate person like myself to do. And then you go on here and read these threads, there's 36 ways to do everything, everyone has a different suggestion. And in the end I think, why bother? Only to do it again in 4-6 months.

• Like 2

prepar3D V4.5 land night illumination very bad,not realistic

Posted (edited)

It is a bit of a worry to embark on an upgrade, even as an experienced PC user.

We need the sim to be 'open', with that comes variation in the way things can work. On a console it only works one way. So instead we get a variance in the possibilities, we have to live with it. We want any kind of new exciting development, we want devs getting on with those things. It can all come out with a few differences here and there and we evolve ways to deal with it (such as shader mods situation).

We have a kind of responsibility when advising users on these forums. We can see the problems come with the type of addons we may have installed rather than being inherent in the simulator itself.

So whittling it down; if we are reasonably experienced we can copy the old sim and rename it, and so on, so that we can install the update as if it was the first time on there. With the P3D system we should be able to just shift over any previously installed addon with ease back into the active folder. Actually not that much expertise is required.

Otherwise we just go ahead with client upgrade and make sure to deal with the possibility of problems like deleting the shaders, renaming the Prepar3D.cfg.

In any case we may be waiting for updates to addon's that require rebuilding each time as they refer programmatically to moved locations within the running program. Refer back to Cruachan's 14 point posts before starting out.

Hopefully that's made upgrading seem a little less vast. 🙂

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, unal narcin said:

prepar3D V4.5 land night illumination very bad,not realistic

maybe for you bud

15 hours ago, SteveW said:

So whittling it down; if we are reasonably experienced we can copy the old sim and rename it, and so on, so that we can install the update as if it was the first time on there. With the P3D system we should be able to just shift over any previously installed addon with ease back into the active folder. Actually not that much expertise is required.

Otherwise we just go ahead with client upgrade and make sure to deal with the possibility of problems like deleting the shaders, renaming the Prepar3D.cfg.

In any case we may be waiting for updates to addon's that require rebuilding each time as they refer programmatically to moved locations within the running program. Refer back to Cruachan's 14 point posts before starting out.

Thanks for this. So if I follow the 14 steps I'm reasonably assured to come out okay? Or just have a go with the pinned method for updating with the component installers?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2019 at 7:37 AM, Cruachan said:

Hi Steve,

I agree, by following your sequence of steps that hallowed ‘clean install’ will be achieved whilst ensuring the preservation of original data. However, this does beg the question: ‘Why?’ After all, LM have gone to great lengths to provide us with an alternative method which is sufficiently flexible as to satisfy most user needs. Do we not trust their installers/uninstallers? Do we have so little faith in our computers to accomplish tasks like this accurately and with a high degree of reliability? If so, then why should we be trusting our computers to handle anything at all for us? If we stand by this logic then there is no reason to believe that the main setup executable will prove to be any more successful in achieving an installation that is free from corruption.

Not trying to be provocative, and I can certainly understand why a clean installation would be a mandatory requirement for any Developer. Also, it can be a necessary step towards helping to resolve issues that have hitherto seemed intractable. 

My method is somewhat similar to yours, but relies more on confidence that LM’s uninstallers/installers will fulfil their intended tasks without errors:

1. All Add-ons are disabled via the Prepar3D UI (also see 5.)

2. Default shaders are restored (PTA or Tomato Shade users).

3. Prepar3D.cfg, Scenery.cfg, terrain.cfg, add-ons.cfg, (AppData\Local) Calibration.xml are backed up and then original files deleted.

5. (AppData) DLL.XML, dll.xml, (ProgramData) EXE.XML and exe.xml are backed up.

6. Each of the above files is opened in Notepad++ and all Addons are rendered inactive by changing the ‘False’ entries to ‘True’.

7. Backup any preferred legacy aircraft that have been restored in v4.4 and found to be working (Probably unnecessary as they are likely to be ignored by the v4.4 Client uninstaller). I’ve yet to test this step as I’m still on v4.4.

8. Check accuracy of the Prepar3D v4.5 zip download by verifying the MD5 values match. Unpack the zip archive.

Now, I’m ready to:

9. Uninstall P3D Client, System Restart, Install Client update and TEST.

10.  Uninstall P3D Content, System Restart, Install Content update and TEST.

11. Uninstall P3D Scenery, System Restart, Install Scenery update and TEST.

10. Then I run FTX Central 3 and allow it to do its stuff, which includes the addition of ORBX specific terrain.cfg entries. 

11. Reinstall FTX Global BASE pack and Global Trees HD.

12. Run a compare on the new Prepar3D.cfg with the backup from v4.4 and update the new file as appropriate.

13. Reinstate Scenery.cfg from v4.4 (keep a backup of the new default if you like).

14. Start the process of re-enabling the Add-ons (see steps 1. and 6.) and I would begin with FSUIPC. This can take a while as it is dependent on when each product is confirmed as being v4.5 compatible, either from the word go or via an update (which may or may not require a reinstallation of a product) from each Developer.

This method seems to have served me well throughout the 4.x point release updates.

Best regards,

Mike

Giving this a go... wish me luck.

Edited by charliearon
edited out word(s) not allowed otherwise post would be deleted.

Should be OK!

While the subject is upgrade, the wise will take a note of the set of folders I posted earlier.

These are the set that can be used at any time to install a stock copy of P3D for perhaps testing an item in isolation. And then simply switched back-in by renaming to original. Very quick, simple, and flawless.

Those with a little time available can make a .BAT or shell script to switch in stock or custom copies of P3D.

Simbol has some news for upgraders:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveW said:

Should be OK!

While the subject is upgrade, the wise will take a note of the set of folders I posted earlier.

These are the set that can be used at any time to install a stock copy of P3D for perhaps testing an item in isolation. And then simply switched back-in by renaming to original. Very quick, simple, and flawless.

Those with a little time available can make a .BAT or shell script to switch in stock or custom copies of P3D.

Saw that folder post. So basically just add two numbers for the version number to each folder (i.e. "44"). So far this update has worked just fine, about to install the scenery!

57 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Saw that folder post. So basically just add two numbers for the version number to each folder (i.e. "44"). So far this update has worked just fine, about to install the scenery!

So long as the original folder is renamed, I used 44 it's a v4.4 install, but it's up to you what you call them. The main thing is to adhere to the folders that count, the complete set,  or something will be picked up from the old installation.