Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.0 stabiliser angle "fix"?...

I'm trying to remember I think it was no more than 45 degrees, whatever the stock FSX ATC vectors you for intercept.:blush:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Well, upon further analysis....  i.e my landing just now, :) the view out of the windshield on approach might be a little too "flat" - it's quite easy to see the runway. I have now altered the htail incidence to 0.5 to see if that makes the view more "normal" at approach speeds around 160 kt at flaps 50. I don't want the external view nor the horiz stab ANU to be excessive at cruise so I am willing to compromise a bit on landing..

Also, on tonight's approach, ATC vectored me onto a "usual" 30 degree intercept course to the localiser. I was down to around 180 knots and whatever flap setting wasn't in yellow on the pfd :) Sorry that I just "wing" these approaches, but with a lite FMC there's little else to go by. :blush: Apart from the numbers painted on the quadrant near the flap lever!

Once the localiser began to move I then clicked the app/land button on the glareshield panel. Glideslope is intercepted from below quite normally, the plane just pitched down to about 1000 fpm  to intercept - again no scary nosedive... 

I wonder Kris if you were trying to intercept the glideslope without approach mode being set? Would that not cause a nosedive due to the autopilot disconnecting altitude hold without it seeing a glideslope?

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for your comments. I think i figured it out. The problem of diving in turns was the CG. In last two flights i moved „first class” payload weight back adding it to Aft cargo section (i use Topcat loadsheet to get the load for each section). The CG was shifted seriously back and i took off with around 29% TOCG. The plane was loosing some 200-300 feet in first phases of turns but recovering easily. So the problem was with too much front TOCG.

• Like 1

Excellent. Among other things, Sky Simulations didn't supply a freighter only aircraft.cfg, hence we have had to fudge payloads. I ignore the first class section when loading cargo.

Incidentally I've purchased both TSS pack (P&W and GE) for the MD11. Most definitely an improvement. I posted elsewhere on AVSIM.

Mark Robinson