Sign in to follow this  
CpnBill

PCIe vs SSD- Worth upgrading?

Hey guys/gals,

I made the switch to Prepar3d a couple months ago, and with 4.5 out, I thought now would be as good of a time as any to upgrade my drive.  I got a deal on a 512 M2 PCIe drive and wondering if it would benefit me to go ahead and install P3d to that drive.  If so...would you guys recommend running it on the same drive as the OS, or install just P3d on the M2 and keep the OS on my SSD?

Thanks!

• Intel i5-8600k
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
  • GTX 1080Ti
  • 16 GB DDR4 3000 G. Skill
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  • 3 TB Barracuda 7200RPM for backup
Edited by CpnBill

M2 is just a physical format. You must be referring to SATA vs PCIe as there are M.2 SATA devices as well as M.2 PCIe devices.

The speed difference is hardly noticeable in day to day use, and heavily depends on what application is being used. There is a huge difference in benchmarks (something like up to 6x more speed), but in P3D the difference is not the same.

If you can afford it, go for it, it WILL be faster just not something to write home about.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Yes, I mean PCIe, I'm just half asleep, thanks for the clarification, I edited my title and comments, appreciate your thoughts!

Edited by CpnBill