Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Technical question: Page file vs RAM?

Why is my page file the same size as my RAM?  Does it need to be?  REason I ask is because I've got a small 120GB SSD (funny 120GB is small lol) and it's been filling up.  I use it for Windows 7 but you know how extra word not allowed gets installed there by default (I'm not the best with organizing and sym links etc).  Anyway would it be bad to cut it in half?  I have 16GB RAM.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is your pagefile set to automatic or is it a fixed size? If automatic, then it should be dynamically adjusted as required - if you start to run out of usable disk space, Windows should reduce the pagefile size appropriately.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Ryan, back when Page File size was all the craze, and the internet abounded with all kinds of advice on the matter, I followed Mark Russinovich's advice.  Basically Mark preached to leave the Page File alone.  However, in the link below (if you must play) he says to set it at twice the commit charge less the amount of Ram installed, if negative, pick a minimum size to allow a crash dump.  Good or bad?  I do not understand and just let Windows manage it.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2008/11/17/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory/

Wishing you good success.

Edited by Gary A

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

You can always move the swap file to another drive....

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

If I recall correctly -- in the old days it was advisable to have the page file large enough to hold a crash dump of the entire memory contents -- so yeah, it was best to have it at least as large as your physically installed mem.  When it was set to system-managed the OS changed it as it saw fit.

Of course all of that is probably not useful info anymore as Win10 or Win7 or whatever probably behave differently.  I know today I run Win10Ultimate-64 and have never messed with the page file settings.  I assume it has those settings somewhere, lol.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB