Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

Samsung Odyssey plus bargain

Not surprisingly, Samsung has discounted the Odyssey plus. $299 US\$399 CDN

I have to admit I'm tempted by that price. But it seems you need VR covers and some other straps to make it comfortable. But I'm not sure how much I would miss my 4K resolution, and be able to access charts and menus without having to remove the headset. Tough decision.

There are several different opinions on VR. The best you can do is try it out for yourself and see how you like it. Of course it isn't so easy to just try it out since those things are expensive.

My two cents: I tried VR with both the Oculus Rift as well as the Samsung Odyssey. I can't say much about the difference between the two because there was quite a time span in between when I tried them. The Odyssey has a higher resolution than the Rift. After trying out VR, I went back to flying with my 4k TV exclusively. I was amazed by the feeling of being inside that cockpit. Feeling yourself being present in the simulation like that plus the whole cockpit in 3D was a really nice experience and one I do miss. You get a feeling for the actual dimensions of a cockpit. Turning your head upward to see the overhead actually over your head... What I don't like is the resolution. You can literally see every pixel and depending on the instrument's size and quality there are times you have to lean forward to be able to read indications. I also found it hard to fly a true visual without instrument guidance because the runway is there in the distance, but I couldn't really make it out as a runway. The low resolution is killing the immersion for me.

VR is still in early stages. The first generations of this technology are promising and make you dream about what will be in the future. Speaking of the future, for me it's clear that VR is the future of flight simming. But at this point, it's too early for me to really embrace flying in VR because of the resolution. I'm waiting until the tech has advanced enough so that we have VR in at least HD along with the hardware that can handle it.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

The oddessey + is definitely not the most comfortable and the windows VR is not as good as the rift interface but the oddessey + has the best display on the market along with the much more expensive vive pro.  The AMOLEDS have a great color range and decent resolution. (makes for really good night flying).  I ditched my rift because of the horrible black levels, but I do miss the comfort and rift interface.

• Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero