Sign in to follow this  
BMW969

P3D v4.5 FPS down

Also lower FPS with 4.5 than 4.4. Consider reverting back to 4.4

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simbol said:

However can somebody test the following:

Under 4.4 go to an affected airport, set the autogen to ultra, record FPS, CPU load and GPU Vram load.

Then lower to medium, record same figures.

Move to a default area, the default scenary of P3D is the best, perform both tests above and record same figures.

Upgrade to 4.5.

Repeat the same tests, record the same figures

Hi Raul,

After spending nearly a week resolving other problems (related to altitudes and just narrowed down to a failed FTX Vector install attempt), I did manage to install and try 4.5 on my 3 projector / 3 window set up (Natvis curved screen), and like others find that performance in my more heavily demanding scenarios (UK2000 EGLL with AI traffic in my case) is about 20% worse with 4.5 Client compared with 4.4 (average frame rate of 27 down to 21/22).

More difficult to judge, the smoothness is probably a little bit better, but subjectively to me it seemed there were now more short pauses (not stutters -- didn't see what I call a "stutter", which is an improvement).

I'll try to do the tests you describe and post the results in the appropriate thread (assuming there is one identifiable "appropriate" thread?), but it won't be till Monday or Tuesday next week at the earliest.

Best
Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I agree with you, much less FPS in this version and a lot of short pauses with this 4.5! It look like stutters but it is short pauses i think too!

Jérôme Dietsch

I also notice the short pauses and lower fps.  

Darcy

11 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Hi Raul,

After spending nearly a week resolving other problems (related to altitudes and just narrowed down to a failed FTX Vector install attempt), I did manage to install and try 4.5 on my 3 projector / 3 window set up (Natvis curved screen), and like others find that performance in my more heavily demanding scenarios (UK2000 EGLL with AI traffic in my case) is about 20% worse with 4.5 Client compared with 4.4 (average frame rate of 27 down to 21/22).

More difficult to judge, the smoothness is probably a little bit better, but subjectively to me it seemed there were now more short pauses (not stutters -- didn't see what I call a "stutter", which is an improvement).

I'll try to do the tests you describe and post the results in the appropriate thread (assuming there is one identifiable "appropriate" thread?), but it won't be till Monday or Tuesday next week at the earliest.

Best
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the report, I suggest you report your findings inside the 4.5 beta forum using the topic I created there already as it might help to bring more attention from LM developers on this subject.

The rest, please use this topic as I pointed out before: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196484#p196484

Thanks to everyone for helping with these tests.

Kind regards,

Simbol 

Agree with the "short pauses" plus the 30% downgrade in performance. Not exactly stutters but annoying nonetheless. Am about to reinstall and start from scratch as I have tried everything I can think of. Will post on the p3d forum when done.

Had the same problem tonight, it was only when I got closer to EGKK from GCTS that the frames started dropping and then averaged at 10-15 fps, that was with fsl a320, strange thing is when I flew NZWN-NZQN yesterday with the same aircraft and settings frames were pretty good between 25-30.

3 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

It is definitely something with ORBX. I can see the change when I go San Francisco to LA. I have Northern California ORBX region but I only have Global and LC in Southern Cal. The FPS changes a lot and goes up on the same flight when you cross over from north to south.

Nope it has nothing to do with Orbix , i dont use any Orbix stuff just Payware airports and Aircraft and i still get the FPS drop ... had to go back to 4.4 to get the same FPS again

ugcx_banner.png

Seeing similar degradation myself - microstutters, and frames off about 20 percent compared to 4.4.  Using Orbx Global and Vector but no regions; no shader add-ons.  Got some improvement by reducing autogen settings - not a fix, but better.  Just posted with more detail and system specs on the Prepar3d forum thread linked above. Noting it here for the record.

• Like 1

Did gou guys post your experiences at the LM forum ?

The more info they have will help fixing this...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133165

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I updated the client and the content yesterday.  My fps are the same as 4.4.  I only use orbx global and uk2000 scenery at the moment.  It is fluid and loads faster.  I have a 8600K at 4.9 ghz and a 1080 standard unit, but fly in 4k.  I don't max my autogen, but do keep autogen speedtrees at dense.  All sliders are medium for the most part, keep traffic via ut live at 60% and am getting consistent high fps in the 787 and the 737, so not sure if you keep your sliders including LOD down, you may not have a performance drop in 4.5 as Rob mentions here....

EDIT: for those (like myself) who lock to 30Hz Vsync (and don't max all graphics settings) then you might not notice any issue
Rob Ainscough http://www.p3dWiki.com
Prepar3D Forum Global Moderator

Simon

i experience the same drop in performance.

There is one thing. i use AIG as ai traffic and usally have it inside  P3d at 50%. with that and my other setting i get 13 fps at aerosoft EDDF and ORBX Europe LC.

setting AI Traffic to 0 frames jump up to over 30 in the exact same scenario. Even setting AI back to 1% the frames go back to 13..

Maybe you want to check that wioth you setup ?

Carsten U

I did it now, I hope other will do it too.

It seems that the ORBX fps loss is constant as it was and the issue comes from the P3D itself. 

As I was with fps locked at 30 and I deactivated the ORBX Germany, the fps clearly went up from 16 fps to 30fps. So I could not see the default fps loss.

Anyway, the ORBX fps loss is still considerable too, perhaps they can also improve it. But in the end, the initial drop comes from LM it seems.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Just finished a clean install of 4.5 but performance is still noticeable lower near OrbX airports.

There is a theory about the LOD autogen setting being stuck at Ultra, I have my doubts about this and I suspect this is due to 3rd party add-on's not configured to follow LOD settings properly under 4.5.

Yeah, even disabling autogen doesn't change the FPS much for me. it seems to be related to third party scenery affecting the FPS at a much larger distance than before. For example, over OrbX WA45, performance is already negatively affected by 0S9 in the far distance. Disable OrbX Jefferson County, and performance is suddenly much better over 2WA1 and WA45. This change doesn't happen (at least to the same degree) in <=4.4. Previously, FPS didn't start to drop until you were much closer to an airfield and then improved as you went farther from it.
But it's hard to do any accurate A/B comparisons since you can't have 4.4 and 4.5 installed at the same time.

Edited by AdvancedFollower

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

FPS droped a bit in v4.5, but panning and flying is much smoother. Did some testing in ORBX Germany because I had the biggest fps hit there.
There is something hindering performance fps-wise in v4.5 when it comes to objekt loading. So I did a comparison with 4.4 and came up with one small and dirty fix.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.02
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160

I appologize in andvance for suggesting this. But it helped on my system (singel 4k monitor).

I use Track IR and got better panning quality in v4.5 even when frames occasional go down by about 4-6 frames under 33 in some cases. Until brighter minds than me can figure out what is amiss I will continue with this cfg entry and enjoy v4.5. Just finished a full flight from EDDT -> EDCG (with addons: AS, ASCA, SF, PF3, MCE, UTL 80%, A2A bonanza) flawles. Despite the frames I like the overall experience. Hope it stays that way.

Edited by Rasterfahnder

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg