Sign in to follow this  
BMW969

P3D v4.5 FPS down

Been using Orbx base+vector+all the open lc scenery and tons of add on airport scenery's.My4.5 is as smooth as baby powder. I have all the orbx regions and netherlands,when i  install one of them my 4.5 looses all it's smoothness.SO FOR NOW, i have parked them all in the hanger,The money i have spent on all those regions are NOW USELESS. 

19 minutes ago, kurtb said:

The money i have spent on all those regions are NOW USELESS. 

Just go back to 4.4 client until L-M get it fixed.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

So SO glad I waited and stayed on 4.4.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

19 hours ago, netshadoe said:

On my rig, the toggle does not have any effect and speedtrees are always used regardless of the toggle.

edit

Edited by ErichB

Guys, did you port over your prepar3d.cfg tweaks from 4.4? I realized that I ported over the shadow tweak from Rob Ainscough regarding those two parameters:

OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=

Back in v4.4, I used a value of 4096 for both resulting in super crisp shadows around my plane (scenery, jetways etc.) as well as in the VC. With v4.5, this setting kills my FPS, when cloud shadows were ticked. I lost about 20FPS (!!). Going down to 1024 instead does not harm performance and I can maintain my locked FPS in situations I got only 10-12FPS with 4096. So far, I can not say how this affects the quality of the shadwos, not enough testing done.

BUT: it might be helpful for some with a huge FPS loss in v4.5: check again if you have any leftovers from v4.4 that might simply not work anymore in v4.5 or only with a huge performance impact. Tweaks you might have forgotten due to the fact that they had neglible impact in v4.4. Of course, if your FPS loss is also with a brand new v4.5 prepar3d.cfg, this is of no use to you. On the other hand, this example illustrates that something fundamental changed from v4.4 to v4.5. Otherwise a 20FPS loss using the same tweak is hardly explainable. My guess (until I can proof or neglect it): they improved the shadow drawing quality as such that using above tweak results in an overkill or, the VRAM need increased so drastically with v4.5, that my 11 gig 1080Ti can not sustain increased shadow resolution anymore.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

25 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Guys, did you port over your prepar3d.cfg tweaks from 4.4? I realized that I ported over the shadow tweak from Rob Ainscough regarding those two parameters:

Hi Chris,

Many users have deleted entirely the prepar3d.cfg file and the problem persist, so it is not this.

Also if you read Rob Ainscough findings on LM forums you will see that full clean installs are having this issue.

Regards,
S. 

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Just go back to 4.4 client until L-M get it fixed.

Pete

Exactly at 4.4 here and happy 🙂

André

OK, on the weekend I installed 4.5 client again and did some testing. So far it seems I only get the FPS drop with ORBX Germany.

I have ORBX FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC Europe and NA, Germany North & South, Norway; i7-8700K, 1080Ti.

I did a direct FPS comparison of v4.4 and v4.5 for two scenarios, at Aerosoft EDDF and FlyTampa KBOS, default aircraft, just sitting on ground. For each I tried once with my normal config, once with autogen disabled, and once with ORBX GEN/GES disabled in scenery library.
At KBOS I always got comparable FPS in v4.4 and v4.5.
At EDDF I got 30-40% less FPS with v4.5 and GEN/GES enabled (also with autogen off), but about same FPS with GEN/GES disabled.

I also found that it's sufficient to disable the SCENERY entries only for GEN/GES to get back FPS (removes buildings, windparks, etc., but keeps terrain). I then did several takeoffs and landings in v4.5 with that setting and PMDG 747-8, and found performance very smooth.
I also did a bad weather approach into KBOS with PMDG 747-400 where in v4.4 FPS went down to 22, got the same 22 FPS in v4.5.

Finally I did one approach to EDDK with GEN/GES enabled, FPS was much lower than in v4.4, but I noticed less long frames than in v4.4.

yesterday i flown from orbx LEBB and UK2000 EGCC with the last update A320X fslabs, with P3D 4.5

I use a strong laptop with core I9 but medium GC GTX1070, so my setting are not push to extreme

I use too unlimited fps because in my case P3D run better

So take off and cruise without problem, i use last AS16 revision with setting set to realism mode, frame are between 30/40 fps with some trafic

fly over france (orbx addon global, vector and LC) seems to be prety good but when i approach FTX england coast fps start to down, and approch EGCC Runway 05r fps down to 15/18

the worst thing was during flare, a 3or 4 second freeze and the plane landing near a crash -408 FT/min

Frédéric Giraud

that's why all my regions are safely packed away😁😁😁

3 hours ago, simbol said:

Many users have deleted entirely the prepar3d.cfg file and the problem persist, so it is not this.

I know, but I am not so sure and no so confident as you are that people consequently delete their prepar3d.cfg. In other forums but also here on avsim, you can read again and again from user that did NOT delete the config after an update. Furthermore, if the user is confident that this specific tweak has no effect, he might "forgot" about adding it to the config...

Besides this, something comes to my mind: what is it about those custom graphic profiles? If I check the file in "Documents/Prepar3d v4 Files", the custom graphic profiles basically contain the whole cfg. If one now updates the sim, deletes the prepar3d.cfg but then loads a custom graphic profile generated with the "old" version (e.g. v4.4 vs. 4.5), does this have any adverse effect by overwriting the prepar3d.cfg with stuff from the "old" version? I do not know. All I know is that I always also delete those custom graphics profiles and recreate new ones based on the entirely new prepar3d.cfg.

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well I can confirm that I deleted the config. Basically uninstalled everything and I mean everything including all lLM folders within all areas of the user profile AND registry. The only way you could have taken this any further would be a new windows build.

With this I still get 30-50% loss using the same settings over orbx england. However over the default start up airfield with every slider maxxed out and using orbx global and vector I am getting above 60fps. With vsync enabled it is locked solid at 60fps. btw I used to get 60fps solid over orbx england on 4.4. This is all at 4k.

Chris

58 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I know, but I am not so sure and no so confident as you are that people consequently delete their prepar3d.cfg. In other forums but also here on avsim, you can read again and again from user that did NOT delete the config after an update. Furthermore, if the user is confident that this specific tweak has no effect, he might "forgot" about adding it to the config...

I think Rob Ainscough knows what he is doing and he has posted figures and graphs showing a 30% degradation in performance. More than my 20% results, but then the only Orbx layer I'm using is the Base and FTX Europe.

This is in the Beta forum. i'm sure L-M is working on it.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

FYI

Looks like it is random....I haven't experienced issues, one 2.5 hrs flight with FSL, but few HRS adjustments and tests on heavy APTS and scenery.....As per config, I missed the class and I deleted after update, but that haven't affected anything. Will test more..... 

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic