BMW969

P3D v4.5 FPS down

There is a good theory about polyline autogen buildings causing this.

Please test with loger autogen settings to see if sttuters go away.

Important to report all this data to LM as they will read their own forums.

Regards 

Simbol 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

OK, So I ran a couple more test flights, with my second monitor unplugged, and then plugged it back in with P3D running on both my laptop screen, and then the second monitor screen.  My FPS were the same in all tests.

Did a new test specifically for Orbx only in v4.5 since I don't have 4.4 right now.

LOD Radius (Ultra), AG Build Density (Normal), 8x MSAA, Shadows Ultra - CLEAR weather

Min: 44 Max: 72 Avg: 56.250 - Orbx Global Base, Libraries, Trees, NA LC

Min: 27 Max: 68 Avg: 55.758 - Orbx Global Base, Libraries, Trees, NA LC + VECTOR

Min: 27 Max: 69 Avg: 56.404 - Orbx Central Rockies Region (Covers KAPA/Denver), Trees

Vector and NA LC were not uninstalled when I did the region test, but Orbx clearly states that all regions include their own Vector data so none of the NA LC or Base Vector data was loaded I am sure.

This is the same as what I saw in base v4.4 and other testing, that  Vector does not hurt performance although in v4.4 I did not see the Minimum drop like it did in v4.5 but the average was actually better in v4.5 by about 4 frames. 

I slowly increased the AG Building density slider with the same settings and got the following:

Min: 36 Max: 66 Avg: 52.850 - AG Build Density DENSE

Min: 32 Max: 65 Avg: 49.867 - AG Build Density VERY DENSE

Min: 28 Max: 58 Avg: 46.508 - AG Build Density EXTREMELY DENSE

In v4.4 I didn't do the same test but going from Extremely Dense to Normal gave me back an average of 2.825 frames in v4.5 I am getting back almost 10 FPS.

So, in conclusion, something is probably going on with the new building objects so as you scale up in building AG density you lose more FPS than you did before but overall v4.5 seems to about the same.  I could imagine in certain areas these added buildings are doing something weird and causing greater loss but it's probably still related to the change.

If I now load TE NL + FT Amsterdam + PSXseeconTraffic Live Traffic, after the scenery is onscreen it takes up to 1 min before all aircraft have their airline te turned instead of being black .. 

With V4.4 no issues 

23 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Did a new test specifically for Orbx only in v4.5 since I don't have 4.4 right now.

LOD Radius (Ultra), AG Build Density (Normal), 8x MSAA, Shadows Ultra - CLEAR weather

Min: 44 Max: 72 Avg: 56.250 - Orbx Global Base, Libraries, Trees, NA LC

Min: 27 Max: 68 Avg: 55.758 - Orbx Global Base, Libraries, Trees, NA LC + VECTOR

Min: 27 Max: 69 Avg: 56.404 - Orbx Central Rockies Region (Covers KAPA/Denver), Trees

Vector and NA LC were not uninstalled when I did the region test, but Orbx clearly states that all regions include their own Vector data so none of the NA LC or Base Vector data was loaded I am sure.

This is the same as what I saw in base v4.4 and other testing, that  Vector does not hurt performance although in v4.4 I did not see the Minimum drop like it did in v4.5 but the average was actually better in v4.5 by about 4 frames. 

I slowly increased the AG Building density slider with the same settings and got the following:

Min: 36 Max: 66 Avg: 52.850 - AG Build Density DENSE

Min: 32 Max: 65 Avg: 49.867 - AG Build Density VERY DENSE

Min: 28 Max: 58 Avg: 46.508 - AG Build Density EXTREMELY DENSE

In v4.4 I didn't do the same test but going from Extremely Dense to Normal gave me back an average of 2.825 frames in v4.5 I am getting back almost 10 FPS.

So, in conclusion, something is probably going on with the new building objects so as you scale up in building AG density you lose more FPS than you did before but overall v4.5 seems to about the same.  I could imagine in certain areas these added buildings are doing something weird and causing greater loss but it's probably still related to the change.

That is very interesting. It probably plays into the theory simbol was suggesting about autogen setting.

I also observed in BB's stream with p3d 4.5 using FSL A320 making an evening approach into Brussels airport and towards the final approach there were noticeable pauses occurring.

All in all I think its liveable but still hoping for improvement. What do you think ?

Installed, I dont see any FPS drop.

b4fZKX5l.jpg

Out of interest I am seeing drop in frames I have RTX 2080 8gig vram and 16 gig ddr4 2666 . I am wondering if I am  running out of memory especially using Orbx TE stats look close to the mark . Those with no issuses can you confirm if you have 32 gig or 16 gig . I cannot improve vram but could spend another £50 on another 16 gig of memory if improvememnts can be seen 

Posted (edited)

Not that this helps with 4.5, but I can confirm using my own benchmark scenario, that I saw a drop from the mid 40’s to the mid 30’s after the update to 4.5.

I uninstalled the 4.5 client and reinstalled the 4.4 client and immediately saw the frame-rates return to normal, with all settings and add-ons the same. (Note that I had updated the 4.5 client and content only. When returning to 4.4 client, I left the 4.5 content installed).

My benchmark scenario is using a saved flight at KSEA, then running the latest version of the FSL A320X (2.0.2.347).

Add-ons that I use in the Seattle area are T2G KSEA, FTX Global, openLC North America, UTX2 USA, UTL, GSX, EZCA 3, and TomatoShade.

I am running P3D on an i7 8700K (HT off) @ 5.0, 16G RAM and an RTX 2080 connected to a single ultrawide monitor @ 3440 x 1440.

Dave

Edited by Barnes
Update add-ons

Posted (edited)

Did you see more heat  with your i7 8700 k ?

4.5 is using more the AVX-512  that need more power and give more heat...

may be if too hot, the processor is slowing down...

Edited by supersym

2 minutes ago, supersym said:

may be if too hot, the processor is going down...

Didn't notice. I'll reinstall the 4.5 client and report back.

I need to investigate it also on my side, massive fps drop, from around 30 fps to 13.7- 16 fps...

41 minutes ago, supersym said:

may be if too hot, the processor is slowing down...

v4.4 running with an average of 43.2 FPS and temps fluctuating in around the 40-50 degree C mark.

v4.5 running with an average of 35.6 FPS and no signifiacant difference in temps. Sitting on runway, CPU is loaded to about 45% and showing no signs of throttling down. RAM using 7.6 of 16GB. GPU loaded to about 40% and using 4 of 8 GB of VRAM.

Sounds like a good news...

Posted (edited)

So 4.5,  at EDDH, A319 FSLabs, in cockpit 16fps. Deactivated all 4 checks in Scenery for FTX Germany North, frames in cockpit, 30 fps, all smooth.

What can be from ORBX side?

Edited by Vali

10 minutes ago, Vali said:

So 4.5,  at EDDH, A319 FSLabs, in cockpit 16fps. Deactivated all 4 checks in Scenery for FTX Germany North, frames in cockpit, 30 fps, all smooth.

What can be from ORBX side?

Nothing, as a custom scenery like GES and GEN consumes more fps than default / FTX Global...

Posted (edited)

On 4.4 it was fine, clearly a drop but manageable, of course, but not 50% drop.

I had no issue at MUC like I had today with 4.5  and I fly quite a lot from MUC, so I can compare.

Edited by Vali

13 minutes ago, Vali said:

On 4.4 it was fine, clearly a drop but manageable, of course, but not 50% drop.

I had no issue at MUC like I had today with 4.5  and I fly quite a lot from MUC, so I can compare.

Absolutely in line with my obsevations, cleary an issue of FTX Germany compared to 4.4. At least on my system an P3D installation, thinking about returning to 4.4.

8 minutes ago, Chandler said:

thinking about returning to 4.4.

Why not instead go to ORBX and ask why this scenery is doing this under P3D 4.5?

If any aircraft was not behaving correctly under a new version of P3D everyone would be nagging the 3rd party the developer to get it fixed ASAP.

S.

Well, add me to the list. I'm also down an average of 6-10 FPS and getting stutters everywhere. I've been playing with settings, but nothing seems to have made a difference.

Of note, vram usage seems to be up from around 5.5G to about 6.5G, but GPU usage seems to have dropped from 50-56% to around 37%. 

i5-8600K @ 5.0Ghz / RTX2080Ti

4.4 was much smoother. 4.5 looks much better. Lets hope LM can get the 2 together...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

FPS loss may be also true for other FTX regions. I have now only 20-22 fps at KFHR/PNW (a2a172). With 4.4 I had approx. 28-30 if my memory is correct.

Edited by Nemo

I took the bait and upgraded to 4.5. Performance wise I didn't experience any stutters. I was able to do a quick flight from cyyz to cyyz using p3d provided aircraft. It wPent very smoothly. 

I then loaded a new scenario and loaded up flytampa omdb scenery using updated FSL A320 aircraft. I didn't bother to configure the plane much. Just setup in mcdu that rte will be omdb/omdb arrival will be rwy 12L. As I was making final approach my p3d crashed 11nm away from runway. 

I will test this again but so far pretty good.

26 minutes ago, Nemo said:

FPS loss may be also true for other FTX regions. I have now only 20-22 fps at KFHR/PNW (a2a172). With 4.4 I had approx. 28-30 if my memory is correct.

Same FPS ranges here except that I've been testing at KBOS, KBWI, KDEN, and KMSP. Only Global Base, LC NA, and Vector are in effect there for me. I have NCA, SCA, and PNW installed, though...

Now that people mention OrbX and Germany specifically, I think I can join the choir. I've done majority of my flights around Germany since I upgraded to 4.5 and the performance has been all over the place. The other day, I was sitting at Aerosoft's Helgoland, which sits off the coast but still some way out, plus it's surrounded by water. Don't ever recall having performance issues with this thing but under 4.5, on that day, I was struggling to break 20FPS for some reason, just sitting on the ground.

Now that I'm aware, I'll try and disable Germany if it happens again, see if that is indeed the culprit.