BMW969

P3D v4.5 FPS down

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, simbol said:

Many users have deleted entirely the prepar3d.cfg file and the problem persist, so it is not this.

I know, but I am not so sure and no so confident as you are that people consequently delete their prepar3d.cfg. In other forums but also here on avsim, you can read again and again from user that did NOT delete the config after an update. Furthermore, if the user is confident that this specific tweak has no effect, he might "forgot" about adding it to the config...

Besides this, something comes to my mind: what is it about those custom graphic profiles? If I check the file in "Documents/Prepar3d v4 Files", the custom graphic profiles basically contain the whole cfg. If one now updates the sim, deletes the prepar3d.cfg but then loads a custom graphic profile generated with the "old" version (e.g. v4.4 vs. 4.5), does this have any adverse effect by overwriting the prepar3d.cfg with stuff from the "old" version? I do not know. All I know is that I always also delete those custom graphics profiles and recreate new ones based on the entirely new prepar3d.cfg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well I can confirm that I deleted the config. Basically uninstalled everything and I mean everything including all lLM folders within all areas of the user profile AND registry. The only way you could have taken this any further would be a new windows build.

With this I still get 30-50% loss using the same settings over orbx england. However over the default start up airfield with every slider maxxed out and using orbx global and vector I am getting above 60fps. With vsync enabled it is locked solid at 60fps. btw I used to get 60fps solid over orbx england on 4.4. This is all at 4k.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I know, but I am not so sure and no so confident as you are that people consequently delete their prepar3d.cfg. In other forums but also here on avsim, you can read again and again from user that did NOT delete the config after an update. Furthermore, if the user is confident that this specific tweak has no effect, he might "forgot" about adding it to the config...

I think Rob Ainscough knows what he is doing and he has posted figures and graphs showing a 30% degradation in performance. More than my 20% results, but then the only Orbx layer I'm using is the Base and FTX Europe.

This is in the Beta forum. i'm sure L-M is working on it.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post

FYI

Looks like it is random....I haven't experienced issues, one 2.5 hrs flight with FSL, but few HRS adjustments and tests on heavy APTS and scenery.....As per config, I missed the class and I deleted after update, but that haven't affected anything. Will test more..... 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Guys,

Lockheed Martin is aware both via private Beta forum and public, but please keep posting data.. as Kayla said today the more information the better.

Regards,
Simbol

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I think Rob Ainscough knows what he is doing and he has posted figures and graphs showing a 30% degradation in performance.

Of course I am not talking about Rob Ainscough or any FS expert like you, Simbol and so on. But many people observe FPS loss with 4.5, and just one hour ago one of those users wrote in the ORBX forum that after he deleted the prepar3d.cfg, he regained the 10FPS he lost after switching to 4.5. So he is exactly one of those users I was talking about... And I am pretty sure in contrast to Simbol, that many of those reporting issues with v4.5 have issues at least partially related to something similar, either they did not rebuild the prepar3d.cfg or they carried over a tweak (as I did) where they thought that it would not hamper anyhing as it worked perfectly in v4.4.

And, I repeat again: my problem might just lead the devs. into the right direction. I am totally aware that it is impossible that Rob or others with a brand new prepar3d.cfg ran into the same issue I did, but if it is for example related to a memory leak hammering the VRAM, it could still give a hint into the correct direction, as it is certainly an obvious difference between 4.4 and 4.5.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Of course I am not talking about Rob Ainscough or any FS expert like you, Simbol and so on. But many people observe FPS loss with 4.5, and just one hour ago one of those users wrote in the ORBX forum that after he deleted the prepar3d.cfg, he regained the 10FPS he lost after switching to 4.5. So he is exactly one of those users I was talking about... And I am pretty sure in contrast to Simbol, that many of those reporting issues with v4.5 have issues at least partially related to something similar, either they did not rebuild the prepar3d.cfg or they carried over a tweak (as I did) where they thought that it would not hamper anyhing as it worked perfectly in v4.4.

And, I repeat again: my problem might just lead the devs. into the right direction. I am totally aware that it is impossible that Rob or others with a brand new prepar3d.cfg ran into the same issue I did, but if it is for example related to a memory leak hammering the VRAM, it could still give a hint into the correct direction, as it is certainly an obvious difference between 4.4 and 4.5.

Myself : a new p3d.cfg file in 4.5 < fps than 4.4

Three Fs friends new install 4.5 < fps than 4.4

Loadtime 4.5 > 4.4

Stability 4.5 < 4.4

As I use Vsync on at 25 Hertz on my both View pc’s it is smooth (  unlocked from 85 to 69 )

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

All, i too have noticed this drop however mine seems to be tied to Active Sky (beta build 7035). If i do not run active sky my frames are the same as they were in 4.4. Anyone else noticed this?

 

Thanks',

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, rfelger said:

All, i too have noticed this drop however mine seems to be tied to Active Sky (beta build 7035). If i do not run active sky my frames are the same as they were in 4.4. Anyone else noticed this?

 

Thanks',

Nope.....I installed new beta from AS, for some strange reason not with me.....as I said earlier spent few HRS on  the ground and 2,5 in the air all good.....Only thing I decided not to have any more is UTL (2 months back). But no FPS drop, maybe that's good, LOL.

ASP4

ORBX

VECTOR

PTA

So will test more and report if any issues. BTW, .CFG deleted after update, shadders, etc

Share this post


Link to post

Installed Client and Content v4.5.  Noticed shorter loading times and a  fairly good increase in frame rates and overall performance.

Share this post


Link to post

Same here no fps drop in 4.5 from 4.4, but only use orbx global, default weather, pmdg, quailywings, carendo etc, ultimate traffic live, pta, ezdock on medium settings with only autogen trees at dense, most other sliders at 50%. UK 2000 airports.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Bert Pieke said:

If you are experiencing fps drop..

1. Did you delete your Shaders folder?

2. Are you using speedtrees?

In my case fps are unchanged and smoothness is better.

(Shaders deleted, and no Speedtrees in use).

What are Speed Trees. How do you disable them?

Thanks

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

All, from what I'm reading over at LM forums, there may be an issue with the cloud shadows that they updated in 4.5. I'm going to try & disable those today. It would explain why when I'm using Active Sky that the FPS dropped with the shadows enabled...

Edited by rfelger

Share this post


Link to post

Did a full computer reinstall, and installed a vanilla 4.5. 

Im not that fixated on FPS, as long as the experience is fluid. With the latest nVidia drivers and a clean system, the experience is quite stuttery. Tried the default F22-flight that P3D defaults to, with default settings (speed trees off), and the FPS is all over the place. This is - as others have mentioned - not (just) an ORBX issue - it must be something else. 

 

Im running a 6700k @ 4.8 HT ON, a 3440x1440 display, on a Titan X Pascal. 32 GB 3600 RAM. Used to run 4.4 just fine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rfelger said:

All, from what I'm reading over at LM forums, there may be an issue with the cloud shadows that they updated in 4.5. I'm going to try & disable those today. It would explain why when I'm using Active Sky that the FPS dropped with the shadows enabled...

I don't use cloud shadows, and have had no drop in fps in 4.5, so perhaps they maybe getting close to finding out what the problem is...

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, simon747 said:

I don't use cloud shadows, and have had no drop in fps in 4.5, so perhaps they maybe getting close to finding out what the problem is...

Yes, I'm hoping they are.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rfelger said:

All, i too have noticed this drop however mine seems to be tied to Active Sky (beta build 7035). If i do not run active sky my frames are the same as they were in 4.4. Anyone else noticed this?

 

Thanks',

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post

nothing to do with cloud shadows mine were off turning them off will save fps if you have a low video card. Turned mine back on hate flying without them

Share this post


Link to post

Guys,

It is not shadows, I did lot's of tests with this and also @kevinfirth and the results were negative. 

My gut feeling tells me this is something to do with autogen or buildings..

Regards,
S.

Share this post


Link to post

In my case it is the Scenery Complexity Slider!

When higher then sparse, it has a dramatic impact (-30%) and is very dependent on the view direction. For sure, that was not the case with 4.4. where I could have this slider at max or one notch less in all situations.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, simbol said:

Guys,

It is not shadows, I did lot's of tests with this and also @kevinfirth and the results were negative. 

My gut feeling tells me this is something to do with autogen or buildings..

Regards,
S.

Hmm, well hopefully they get it figured out, I haven't tried messing with Autogen or scenery complexity, only thing i noticed was it was much smoother without clouds or weather loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rfelger said:

All, from what I'm reading over at LM forums, there may be an issue with the cloud shadows

But I see a 20%+ drop and i have all shadows off.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post

What I have found given I have all Orbx Global and Regional packages is that the issue seems to be object call related.

4.4 for me (30hz 4K monitor, i7-6700K, GTX1080ti, 32GB RAM, Windows 10) was smooth in the vast majority of situations, even Aerosoft EGLL with the FSLabs A320.

With 4.5 the best I can get in the same scenario is 19FPS which is unusable given it is so far below the 30hz monitor refresh rate.

What I have discovered is unticking the FTX Scenery folder for the region (leaving the 3 other folders for the region active), the issue disappears.

Thus that narrowed down the issue.

I then took all the .bgl’s out of the FTX Scenery folder, reactivated it and then added the files in bit by bit.

What I found is if I remove the individual airport object files (in FTX England there was 181 XXXX.object.bgl files where XXXX is the aerodrome i.e. EGBD) then the FPS are back to 4.4 levels. It is only the airport object file, not the other (two) files... your airport is still there, it just does not have the custom objects.

This issue seems only to exist using FTX England, the two Germany’s and Southern California and removing their XXXX.object.bgl files (to a safe place) eliminates the issue.

If you have UK2000 EGKK and FTX England, start up at stand 559 in the PMDG 737 or FSLabs A329/320 and you won’t get greater than 19FPS in the VC but if you scan right in the VC (away from the terminal, looking south, FPS return to normal).

Now remove the files to a safe place and repeat, there is no problem, so my  hint as a place to look is the object draw. Something changed from 4.4 to 4.5.

Regards,

Mark

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mwa05 said:

What I have found given I have all Orbx Global and Regional packages is that the issue seems to be object call related.

Do you guys read the entire topic AND understand it?

Please stop adding new information related to ANY AddOn stuff! LM does not test your AddOn's and some clear reports show a decrease in performance with a VANILLA P3D installation!

Stop cluttering this topic and help them WITH A VANILLA P3D to nail it down. Only with a standard P3D, using a standard ACFT and a standard scenery, they will try to reproduce it.

Adding ORBX or FSL or HIFI or whatsoever Addon won't help anybody so please stop it!

(Please forgive the underlines and the capitals but reading carefully through the 8 pages of the topic, 90% of the reports are related to AddOns when @simbol and Rob and any other developer has begged you to test without addons!)

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now