Sign in to follow this  
joby33y

VR Flyers: avoid P3D v4.5...for now

Fellow VR Flyers,  I recommend not upgrading to the new Prepar3D ver 4.5.  There is a bug we are still trying to track down that absolutely crashes the Sim when enabling Oculus.  Something is broken...& will instantly cause a CTD.  

I can get PMDG737, Carenado, and the stock F-22, Commander 111 to work fine, but not Aerosoft Airbus.  Have yet to try other aircraft including FSL (awaiting their patch).  But some users are reporting they can't even get stock aircraft to work without CTD when enabling Oculus.  

Has anyone else done testing on this ?  

cheers, 

John

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Same here, although not quite as instant. It seems I can start Oculus VR 1X and it works (at least for a while).  But if I disable then re-enable it crashes P3D immediately.  At first I thought is was my weather program (FSXWX) but I've eliminated that as a contributor. I've only used two planes, Carenado C172N and Flight1 Britten-Norman. Hope this helps.

John

default f16 crashes p3d when the rift is started...  same for the as crj.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

No issues here using the Vive Pro.  My settings are default, except HMDDisplayMode is set to Single-Pass and OnScreenDisplayMode is Single.  Getting a good 10-20 more FPS after the update.

I've tested the default F-22, PMDG 747-800 and NGX.  Hoping to test the Majestic soon.

Edited by faiding
aircraft

I have had a similar experience with 4.5 and my Oculus Rift.  However, if I use the SteamVR selection to enter VR my Oculus Rift works with no issues.  Odd.  I updated/repaired my Oculus software and drivers, but, P3D still does a CTD if I use the Oculus selection to enter VR.

Danny

Danny

They were able to identify the issue and will provide a fix pretty soon.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

32 minutes ago, chass32 said:

They were able to identify the issue and will provide a fix pretty soon.

Cheers

Carlos

Yup, fixed, supposedly. Now we just need a guinea pig! 🐷

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Still doesn't work for me. I can't even launch 4.5 without the line to disable VirtualReality in the config. Eagerly awaiting a fix or reversion to 4.4 which was fine.

Glad to see the fix posted, will try it shortly. I had the same experience as John posted above. I upgraded to 4.5 and my Oculus worked just fine the first time it's enabled, but then crashed the sim if I disabled and re-enabled it during a flight.

I'm using the exact same settings I used with 4.4. "Virtual Reality -> Oculus", Single Pass, etc.

Frame rates are roughly the same as pre-upgrade, maybe a tad worse, but LM seems to be working on that so I'll sit tight.

Edited by dmaas
  • Like 1

It works fine after the fix. I experienced the opposite with regards to performance. Smoother with 4.5.

Edited by andreh

I've got 4.5 running with the rift on the hotfix. It is one notch smoother - better but still not totally smooth at Essendon ORBX AUS. Night time contrast range with HDR enabled has improved. Blacks are blacker - still not perfect but now it is limited by the headset screen not by the software. Definitely good enough for night flying though now with HDR.

Happy to report that the hotfix works for me too.

Love the new ability to hotkey a "reload shaders" button. It makes tweaking with PTA so much faster.