Sign in to follow this  
Philipljung

Flight simulation hardware is too expensive

So my plan is to build a homemade flight simulator cockpit. Like they do on YouTube and stuff. I’m 14 years old and I think that’s is the correct age to start a project like this. But it’s so insanely expensive. We are talking 700$ for a freaking radio panel. Is it because the quality is so good? Because I don’t care about that. It could be made out of cardboard as long as it worked. But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget? As I said I’m only 14 years old and I don’t have that much money so I need really cheap components. One thing I wanna say before you say anything. I do not in any way expect a full cockpit done this year. I expect it to be done in around 4 years or something. So that’s nothing to worry about. I know it’s gonna be pretty expensive no matter what. But I have a dream to make the cockpit at the price of around 2500$. Thanks in advance. Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, Philipljung said:

But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget?

I don't think this is realistic. But you can build the panels yourself and bring it in for far less. It's also a good way to learn about how things work. I would suggest starting by looking at Air Manager from SimInnovations. It handles inexpensive hardware inputs and outputs very simply. You can get an Arduino Mega clone for $10 and use it to interface all the buttons, switches, knobs and LED displays to make radio panels or whatever you need. You can make the actual panels look as rough or as polished as you like. See my YT channel for some of the things I've made.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

On 4/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, Philipljung said:

So my plan is to build a homemade flight simulator cockpit. Like they do on YouTube and stuff. I’m 14 years old and I think that’s is the correct age to start a project like this. But it’s so insanely expensive. We are talking 700$ for a freaking radio panel. Is it because the quality is so good? Because I don’t care about that. It could be made out of cardboard as long as it worked. But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget? As I said I’m only 14 years old and I don’t have that much money so I need really cheap components. One thing I wanna say before you say anything. I do not in any way expect a full cockpit done this year. I expect it to be done in around 4 years or something. So that’s nothing to worry about. I know it’s gonna be pretty expensive no matter what. But I have a dream to make the cockpit at the price of around 2500$. Thanks in advance. Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

I agree with you, it is far too expensive. But the reason we see such high costs is because many of these items are made one at a time by hand instead of being mass produced. If you do an Internet search for joysticks, you'll find excellent quality joysticks with a twist rudder on them for under $25 USD and thls can be fone because they are mass produced. Additilnally, much of the available flight deck hardware is made in locations where cost of ljving is much higher than other countries.

Ours is a wonderful, feature rich hobby, but as far as business concerns we are a very small communityand one that demands very high fidelity and realism. Higher costs are unfortunately part of our dynamic.

There is Nother issue with building a flightdeck, and that is that you're locked in to one aircraft type and you miss out on other incredible aircraft.

One way I thought of to combat both the high costs and being locked into kne aircraft is to build a touch screen flight deck. I started sourcing this about 10 years ago and was ready to move forward when I found two established companys working on the same thing, unfortunately neithet seems to have made it and they had a better chance than I may have had. Add Virtual Reality to the mix means investors might find this type of prohect too risky and I would have to agree.

Best wishes and enjoy your project!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Flight sim hardware is a boutique kind of business so that is why the high price. Ive built a reasonable flightsim cockpit one piece at a time over several years. I have gone thru three different designs to where i am today. Its designed for single and twin engine airplanes with a TPM and a TQ6 and you can also change between yoke and joystick depending on what I want to fly. I like to go to the next level but that's about 20 grand. Just go slow get what you can afford now and enjoy it and then just keep adding and eventfully you will get there. Next for me is a G1000 trainer.  Good Luck   Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

First of all, thank you for all amazing answers. Second, I do agree with you Dave that when you are building a homecockpit you are locked to only one aircraft. I have never really thought of that. So i actually think that so far, a MCP and a throttle quadrant is enough for my "homecockpit", maybe ill consider adding some more in the future. I also saw a video on youtube that you guys maybe would be interested in, because this is a guy who really managed to make an affordable homecockpit! Best regards, Philip 

I make high quality custom panels using a laser cutter. Look up/ google the warthog project.  That is not me but I make panels the same way. It has taken many many years of practice and tools. (Like a 2500 laser cutter). 

Once you have equipment like this you can make panels for real cheap. 

I am willing to make some high quality custom panels and send them to anyone who can help me with some advanced programming. 

In particular I am flying the MJC Q400. - If you have experience programming for this plane please contact me. If you can teach me or code for me I can make custom panels for you. 

Aside from the typical bolean values that get programmed via the joystick connector (i can do those) I am looking for someone that can link hardware to variables (in the variables list) via the XML and UDP connectors. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-09-at-12.20.18-PM.pn

Hi everyone. 

About 6 months back I wrote a lengthy post on this thread stating that I had the manufacturing ability and knowhow to build highly accurate and detailed custom aircraft panels but I lacked the coding ability to make them work with advanced payware (like the MJC Q400). 

A few of you answered the call and six months later I am happy to report that we have completed a phase 1 prototype of the MJC Q400 Overhead panel. 

Aside from the highly detailed and accurate panels, every light, button, switch, and gauge works exactly as it does in the sim. 

This work has been so successful, my partner Randy and I are ready to take it to the next level and we are looking for some other individuals to join our team. 

Our ultimate goal is to make full size cockpits of the Q400 (Dash 8). 

I am a mechanical engineer and Randy is a highly skilled coder. 

Our immediate needs are to find someone who can take our circuitry from breadboards and wires to PCBs. 

If you have such a skill and are interested in joining our project please get in touch. 

Here is a sample of what that would look like for one of the panels.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-09-at-12.41.17-PM.pn

Additionally, there may be other people out there that can help us. Naturally, all members of the team will be able to receive aircraft panels including an overhead panel, forward panel, glare shield, FMS, Center console, and throttle quadrant. 

If you have skills that you think will be valuable to us please get in touch. Needed skills include but are not limited to: 

Project Management – (experience taking projects from prototype to market ready)

Marketing (including web design and social media management)

Legal

The MJC Q400 payware aircraft is the ideal airplane for this project because the developers have put huge amounts of detail in the airplane. Every light, switch, and system have variables that can be accessed via coding hardware. 

Our goal is to eliminate the use of the mouse and keyboard during flight simulation while keeping all of the functionality of the airplane. That means that there are no switches, buttons or systems that don’t work in the sim. 

TLDR

We need someone with PCB skills to join our team. If that’s you and you would like to be part of this project get in touch.      

Fly Safe Everyone,

Eli  

There is some more information about our project at www.theq400project.com

Hi Philip, all. I was looking at building my own cockpit as well (for upcoming FS 2020), evaluating options from the cheapest setup to most expensive (motion control platform + real avionics $8,000). I ran into a solution that may fit your budget of $700.

I assume you have a decent computer and monitor already

- First get a yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant of your choice (~ $250)

- Next get a touch screen monitor ($270 on Amazon) - You will use this to have a virtual panel which you can control with your fingers

- Then look for the knobster control knob on Sim innovations ($100)

- Use Air Manager software ($30) to display different aircraft panels on the touch screen monitor. The panels can then be controlled with your fingers and the knobster. 

That former pilot's video on youtube changed my mind. A virtual cockpit can be satisfying. watch "Home Cockpit Game Changer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MEoUIagO9g

Hope this helps.

Lyteck

Edited by Lyteck
changed greeting to include everyone

Is there really a "traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights"?  Hope Philip is still around to respond back!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

"Where can I find hardware on a budget?"

Check Craislist, check Ebay, check "for sale" forums.  You'd be amazed if you put in some time and effort you can word not allowed up deal.  I've seen panels, yokes literally given away so long as the simmer paid for shipping.  I sold my old CH Yoke for around $35 and a joystick for $10.  A inexpensive way to get started.  Search around flightsim forums that have a cockpit type forums to get some great ideas.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit