Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or Not

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or NOT  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is i too early to upgrade to P3Dv4.5?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, padrot said:

Yes, but it's an open beta, not the final version that I like to install.

Regards to both of you guys

Most software for sale is essentially beta anymore. Some software companies are even selling alpha copies these days.

Technology is so dynamic and the system specs are so wide ranging...I guess there is no choice.🤷‍♂️

45 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

As has been reported on the Prepar3D forum, some people cannot even start up P3D v4.5 which may be a blessing in disguise since significant drops in fps have also been reported by a few who can use it.

I would be very careful in regard of those reports  / statements.

First off all just to be clear:

YES! There are a lot who have tons of Add-On's who fear every single update because:

A) The time needed to eventualy do a FULL install

B) Fear of incompatibility

Because of A and B, many (or most) users do Client or Content upgrades only. Some of them have no idea how exactly to perform those operations (the correct order) which leads to many "false" bugs. It's because A) that LM implemented the XML method but not ALL DEV's use it at this time

In my case I ALWAYS "WIPE" everything which installs within P3D Directory and take those 3-4 days time to install all of it back "bit" by "bit". How do I do that?

I UNINSTALL EVERYTHING (which does not use XML method) in the opposite order I installed them, even restoring the changes if the Add-On's GUI has that option. After uninstalling that stuff, I wipe all remaining files out of /AppData: Local/L Low/ Roaming / etc, Programs (x86), ProgramData etc...(you got the point).

After all is gone I move all the XML Addons in another .OFF Directory and restart my PC.

Then I start again with the installations ALWAY checking in between how the SIM performs.

Doing this, I NEVER encountered ANY issues with the new version (but it takes a lot of time).

It takes more time to debug a failed installation however....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

For me it was flawless, but heck... I'm not the typical simmer who uses P3D 🙂

ORBX FTX Global installed flawlessly over it, so did PMDG 777  and Aerosoft Madeira ( LPMA ). I didn't yet install the FSLabs A319, and will wait for their update for both the 320 and 319.

P3D is always used in my rig with all graphics bells & whistles turned off, no shadows, no traffic although in Madeira I do see cars on roads, all very simple because I just want to simulate FLIGHT, not really sight seeing, and IFR mostly is my goal, so everything a bit better than the very basic ELITE XTS or Aerowinx PSX visuals is just great !

From version to version I notice improvements in performance, less to no stutters at all. I use VSync on and triple buffering.

My rig is a 2011 i5 2500 @ 3,2 GHz, and a GTX 960 4GB GPU. 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I have two SSDs ( 240GB ) one for the sims the other for the rest.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

8 hours ago, planechaser said:

Depends if the upcoming FSLABS A320 update needs 4.5

It is supposed to work on 4.2-4.5.
Source: Blackbox711 in his latest twitch stream (yesterday).

However using 4.5 may be a good idea, as e.g. LM is said to have fixed a bug which made VC rain effects stop working sometimes.

Edited by Rafal

2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

EZCA v2- which is to be updated in max 1 week from now (since I also own ChasePlane, which is already compatible, i run that instead)

Are you sure of that? I thought EZCA V2 is discontinued and V3 is current. It appears that P3D v4.5 compatibility is only with V3: https://www.simforums.com/forums/ezca-for-p3d-4-5-here_topic61448.html

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

26 minutes ago, Rafal said:

It is supposed to work on 4.2-4.5.
Source: Blackbox711 in his latest twitch stream (yesterday).

However using 4.5 may be a good idea, as e.g. LM is said to have fixed a bug which made VC rain effects stop working sometimes.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the rain not working.

Am thinking of staying with 4.4 Also never had any black PBR. So at the moment am in the camp of “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”

• Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

11 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the rain not working.

Am thinking of staying with 4.4 Also never had any black PBR. So at the moment am in the camp of “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”

I pulled the trigger and upgraded David, along with AS4, ASCA, Tomatoshade, Flight1 GTN and EZDOK v3, and I had no problems. My work order was:

1. Restore original shaders from Tomatoshade

2. Delete P3D V4.4 shaders

3. Uninstalled Client

4. Deleted P3D cfg

5. Installed P3D V4.5 Client

6. Deleted P3D V4.4 Content

7. Installed P3d V4.5 Content.

8. Ran P3D.

9. Exited P3D and opened FTX Central and allowed it to do its thing.

10. Shut down and rebooted.

11. Ran Tomatoshade and installed shaders.

12. Ran P3D.

13. Happy days.

• Like 3

Murray Dreyer

51 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

Are you sure of that? I thought EZCA V2 is discontinued and V3 is current. It appears that P3D v4.5 compatibility is only with V3: https://www.simforums.com/forums/ezca-for-p3d-4-5-here_topic61448.html

Yes! The developer has stated this on he's forum and also Nick reported it here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/552824-p3d-v45-add-on-compatibility-list/

EZCA v2 was announced to be discontinued but since v4.5 is JUST a point update AND EZCA v3 seems to have some issues, the DEV's aprooved to an update (which is the only thing that makes sense given the point update)

• Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

8 hours ago, joby33y said:

Well, they managed to totally break Oculus VR in this release.  Wonder what else is broken.  

Sorry but I'm rather stunned at their lack of software testing...

rgds, 

JB

companies dont beta test with other software anymore.  Orbx orlando is not compatible with the PMDG 747  or FSL 320 for example.  Bring it up on their forum and they will just shill you with "youre pc isnt powerfull enough"  and all that jazz.  Its the standard get out clause.  blame it on the users pc.

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

So at the moment am in the camp of “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”

after the drama I had with 4.4 and stutters for weeks, im not going anywhere near it 

14ppkc-6.png

Personally I am tired of these upgrades. the feature list is gigantic but really when going through it there is nothing there I really care about. I will stay on 4.4 for now. We need to see some improvements in other areas. The ATC airspace and nav data is from 2006! 

Mike

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

Personally I am tired of these upgrades. the feature list is gigantic but really when going through it there is nothing there I really care about. I will stay on 4.4 for now. We need to see some improvements in other areas. The ATC airspace and nav data is from 2006! 

Mike

There are add-ons available to correct this. If you wait for LM this may need a very long time.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

25 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

Mike

I'm with you on that, I some what dread when an update comes out, having to wait weeks in cases for addons to be updated so they work with the new version. Then to have to reinstall 10 addons. The lack of backward compatibility in P3D is real frustration to me

7 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

I'm with you on that, I some what dread when an update comes out, having to wait weeks in cases for addons to be updated so they work with the new version. Then to have to reinstall 10 addons. The lack of backward compatibility in P3D is real frustration to me

You see it wrong mate (in my opinion).

The updates are not only patches in the means of fixing broken things, but also new features or core optimisations. In this case it truly can be possible that complex addon's loose part of theyr compatibility. You are the only one to choose if you wish to update / upgrade or want to stick with what you have now.

Don't forget: v4.5 brings you the Donkey and Cart! It was a must on my side. How can you live without that mate?

Edited by GEKtheReaper
  • Like 2

Gerald K. - Germany

7 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

The lack of backward compatibility in P3D is real frustration to me

I thank the flying spaghetti monster that they leave old shiatzu behind and go forward instead.

Complaining about updates and fixes is ...  uhm ... subintelligent.

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png