Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or Not

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or NOT  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is i too early to upgrade to P3Dv4.5?

• Yes
    • No

57 minutes ago, tooting said:

after the drama I had with 4.4 and stutters for weeks, im not going anywhere near it 

Yes, I also did the client content scenery updates all following the guild and doing it to the letter. The first load I thought all was fine, like you i found it was not fine and ended up doing a full re-install. That was OK for photoreal and PBR, but there is very little in this one and Blackbox711 in his stream last night said the same.....very little in this one and could not see any diffrence, no fps loss or gain....and the FSL new version works back to 4.2 and even when they do PBR 4.4 covers that also.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just shows you that PCs are all individual.

I did what I did for 4.3 to 4.4: followed the LM approved method.

Uninstall Client, install new client, reboot.

Uninstall Content, install new Content, reboot.

Uninstall Scenery, install new scenery, reboot.

Ran P3D 3 or 4 times to check,( funny thing but it seems to need 3 or 4 runs to get it to settle down!).

All add-ons, Orbx, REX SF3d, PMDG, FSUIPC, FlyTampa, GSX etc. working with no re-installs needed. Just AS came up with recommendation to reload AS connect. I downloaded the Beta as well.

Seems to be a bit crisper on textures, no major change in FPS noticeable.

Doesn't stop at 6% loading anymore, but seems to take longer to get the screen to "come live".

All completed in comfortably under one hour.

Ian Harrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I don’t know why people stress so much over updating.  Update and be done with it.  It’s really not that hard.  I did the client, content, and scenery.  Updated Active Sky, ASCA, F1 GTN, Envtex, and reinstalled FTX global.  Uninstalled FSL A320 and spotlights.  Took 45 minutes

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

Is it just me or do the VC shadows look much better?

Matt Wilson

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

I don’t know why people stress so much over updating.  Update and be done with it.  It’s really not that hard.  I did the client, content, and scenery.  Updated Active Sky, ASCA, F1 GTN, Envtex, and reinstalled FTX global.  Uninstalled FSL A320 and spotlights.  Took 45 minutes

Good for you. Maybe others have more addons than you. Maybe others aren't as confident with computers. Maybe others HAVE had problems, hence why they are hesitant about the updates.

I don't know why that is so hard to understand. But hey, I'm glad it took you only 45 minutes.

1 minute ago, Bigt said:

Good for you. Maybe others have more addons than you. Maybe others aren't as confident with computers. Maybe others HAVE had problems, hence why they are hesitant about the updates.

I don't know why that is so hard to understand. But hey, I'm glad it took you only 45 minutes.

No need to get defensive and hostile.  I am not trying to “show off” as you are trying to imply.  I have PMDG, FSUIPC, Envtex, Envshade, A2A, Maddog X, AS CRJ, TFDI 717, Majestic Q400, most everything ORBX for the USA, Active Sky, ASCA, REX, Flightbeam, photo scenery, F1 GTN, GSX, and more I can’t remember.  If you can do a full install you are perfectly capable of doing the update.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

To be fair, I did the Client and Content updates only last time (4.4) and had a whole host of issues.  Decided on a clean install.   The upshot is that a clean install is not nearly as painful as it once was.  If you save the right configs, plug them in where they need to be and are organised about your serial numbers and addons you're up and running in a much quicker space of time than you would have been 5 years ago - especially since Orbx changed their client installer.

Edited by ErichB
  • Upvote 1

I'm running 4.1 content with 4.4 client, no issues. Initial loading has improved, cloud shadows and night lighting tweaked, not much else to report really. Generally I wait a while until third party developers bring all their stuff up to speed but on this occasion I just dived straight in and everything is working fine. FPS no better or worse on initial inspection.

Most issues seem to be people trying to force out-of-date incompatible addons into the latest P3D. Especially shader tweaks.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

What an interesting development from the voting  pole. Roughly tied, half our pilots don't feel the need to upgrade while the other half do. I'm curious though, if those who do not, either experienced a bad situation during upgrade or is it their preference never to upgrade when something is not broken, hence, (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) type of thing?

As it stands right now, I am not in the position to troubleshoot a problem until the end of April. And I guess what this means also, with a 49/50 vote coming from the crew, I should not touch P3d at all unless I have time to fix an issue. 

I appreciate everyones input, honesty, feedback and participation in the poll. 

Cheers and happy flying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I still don’t have everything installed and working from a fresh install I did in November. Some addons have run out of activations, some didn’t work. I tried to do an install log this time to document the changes and they happen so fast and frequently that it’s impossible to keep up with.

Vr is the only way I fly, with flyinside.....but until I hear that’s not fubar, I won’t even consider it. Everything’s stable and reliable right now. A2a windshield dll is disabled because it causes crashes in fly inside.

While I love to be cutting edge, I also like to fly and not fix. 

I should have said I’m in the I’ll wait camp😏🤣😂

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

LM said there is a hotfix coming.  I'm waiting for that before I install.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Don't forget: v4.5 brings you the Donkey and Cart! It was a must on my side. How can you live without that mate?

DOH!  I was hoping to put the cart before the donkey...  😂

Edited by netshadoe

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Works great, runs fast and looks good in 55 inch 4K with nearly 500g of addons.

What more is there to worry and fret about? 👨‍✈️

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Like the Captain Action Figure!

Updated Client and Content... no problems at all.  The sim ran great for me in 4.4, and does the same in 4.5.  I notice the ORBX "pause" when approaching one of their airports is nicely diminished... hardly notice them now.  I don't have a ton of addons... most of the time when updating the sim I'm concerned about ASP4 and the F1 GTNs... they are already working fine in 4.5.

HTH,

Greg