Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or Not

P3dv4.5 - Upgrade or NOT  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is i too early to upgrade to P3Dv4.5?

• Yes
    • No

Had no problems after my upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5, with lots of scenery addons.

I went ahead and updated to v4.5 (I updated Client, Content, and Scenery). Everything went smoothly and everything (that I tried) is working after the update. I did not see the initial load time improvement that I have seen others talk about though. Maybe that is because I have a lot of AI traffic in my sim?

Looking forward to the FSL update and will proberly update to 4.5 then. From top of my head we need to delete a FTX Global txt file right before entering FTX Central?. Nothing else from ORBX right? 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I just uninstalled the complete P3D4.4 and installed 4.5. Everything works fine so far. Sure, some addons need to be updated. I think, most of them could run, but have a version number check to make sure no one runs it with the wrong version. The devs just want to check first, if it works. 

Apart from the donkey and cart I did not see any improvement. Still the same stutters when coming into a region the sim has to load an airport. I had wished, they develop a loading strategy that goes smoother.

I can't tell, if the sim loads faster now, since loading times are kind of erratic on my system. Sometimes, after a new install of scenery, my load time was suddenly much faster. 

FPS seems still the same. I have it limited to 30 FPS and still get that in my actual start situation. Will see the first longer flight next week only and wonder, if my blurry texture problem is solved now or not.

I use P3D since v.2 and the look has improved a great deal, but else, nothing has changed. I also installed FSX on my new system and it looks also great and has great FPS with nowadays computers. 

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Strange to read people being tired of updates to P3D.

I remember FSX which didn´t get updated for almost a dekade and people complainging about the sim being dead.

LM's option to simply update Client and Content is very easy and has yet to fail for me.

• Like 3

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

17 minutes ago, Wothan said:

Strange to read people being tired of updates to P3D.

I remember FSX which didn´t get updated for almost a dekade and people complainging about the sim being dead.

LM's option to simply update Client and Content is very easy and has yet to fail for me.

As the saying goes, you will never be able to please everyone!  There's obviously people that should stay with FSX if they don't like the evolution of a flight sim.  But then I'm sure they will find something else to complain about.

I'm wholeheartedly grateful that we have a consistently maintained and developed sim!  Never had any problems with any of the updates in the past and always waited for my add-ons to be updated, if required, before upgrading P3D.

Definitely looking forward to see what else LM will bring us!

Edited by ViperXBR
  • Like 3

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

23 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I don’t know why people stress so much over updating.  Update and be done with it.  It’s really not that hard.  I did the client, content, and scenery.  Updated Active Sky, ASCA, F1 GTN, Envtex, and reinstalled FTX global.  Uninstalled FSL A320 and spotlights.  Took 45 minutes

I really think the underlying issue is not with the update process of P3D modules, but the fact that some people have a chaotic installation discipline with regards their other scenery and addons.  

If you allow most addons to install where they want to (not using the P3Dv4 recommended installation routines) , they end up being scattered all over the place, and I suspect this is where many are getting stuck - me included, in the past.  By using Lorby's scenery .xml installer, and installing all scenery outside of the P3D folder, I have had fewer issues.  

It is also worth writing down your tricks, methods and tips when you get things to work.  These days, there are so many of them that I tend to forget what I did before.

• Upvote 1

Well I got weak and decided to just go ahead an do it and I'm glad I did. P3dv4.5 installed without hiccups and runs beautifully. Takes less than 25 secs to load everythin, including my gazillion sceneries and near maxed out settings. I feel its running smoother and with better frames to, though I can't be entiterly sure since I havent tested it yet. But so far, the intsallation went very well. Only thing I had to do was confugure some of my old settings in the .cfg because SimstarterNG is not compatible yet to do it for me. Neverthless, intallation was an easy experience.

Troy

• Like 1

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Addon Organizer has been really helpful and I agree it is totally necessary for keeping things tidy. Still, I think we, as a community, need to develop standards around what is acceptable from developers and their install procedures. I don't understand why there are so many inconsistencies in folder naming conventions, install locations and verbiage used in installers. People know the right way to do things. There are numerous threads here that explain the right way to do things and the wrong way. It seems like so many developers just want to be more cute or smarter than the last guy. As a community, we should demand more, but we never do.

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad