Sign in to follow this  
Lokoko

How to brighten up my X-Plane scenery

Olderndirt,

Thank you. In the control panel I moved both contrast and brightness from 50% to 75% and it makes a difference.

Many thanks,

Lokoko

As a long time P3D user I have installed the latest version of X-Plane 11 as a trial. I, too, have found the scenery views from inside an aircraft to be too dark/dull. The internal cockpit shows extremely well.

I have tried using the <Adjust Desktop Colour Settings> suggestion from above. However it controls the whole screen and so any slight improvement on the scenery view has been offset by a degradation in the internal cockpit view.

I note that this thread has been quiet for over two years now and wonder if there are any new solutions to this problem?

Edited by roadrabbit149
spelling

Intel i9900K @ 3.60 GHz, nVidia RTX 2080i (11 GB RAM onboard),
32 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, ASUSTek Z390-Plus Mobo
(LGA1151); Running P3Dv5.4, MSFS2020 and XPlane11;

4 hours ago, roadrabbit149 said:

As a long time P3D user I have installed the latest version of X-Plane 11 as a trial. I, too, have found the scenery views from inside an aircraft to be too dark/dull. The internal cockpit shows extremely well.

I have tried using the <Adjust Desktop Colour Settings> suggestion from above. However it controls the whole screen and so any slight improvement on the scenery view has been offset by a degradation in the internal cockpit view.

I note that this thread has been quiet for over two years now and wonder if there are any new solutions to this problem?

Xvision is your best bet to make the changes you want. Reshade also, though I think you might have crashes more likely with Reshade than with Xvision.  I’m sure plenty of people would disagree.  Xvision can adjust cockpit lighting separate from scenery as another advantage. 

xVision +  small free plugin for individual night lighting adjustment: ITX-D Lights Controls = 🙂

Edited by Bulva

The only trouble with X-Vision is that while it is fine with default scenery it over does it with OrbX orthos and ruins them.

3 hours ago, jarmstro said:

The only trouble with X-Vision is that while it is fine with default scenery it over does it with OrbX orthos and ruins them.

What do you mean xV ruins orthos?
I only use ortho (also OrbX) and I have not noticed any problems.

2 hours ago, Bulva said:

What do you mean xV ruins orthos?
I only use ortho (also OrbX) and I have not noticed any problems.

Well ruins not the right word perhaps. To me it makes OrbX too vivid.

53 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Well ruins not the right word perhaps. To me it makes OrbX too vivid.

I understand. But in xV it allows you to make individual adjustments, according to your own needs.
Honestly, I use a ready-made "nordic" preset which I also had to tweak a bit when using in VR (it was too vivid 😉 ). 

Edited by Bulva

I use the Nordic preset as well. They tweaked it in a recent update to make it a little less dark looking. X-Vision is a must have addon in my opinion.

For me the answer turned out to be far simpler. I am using an nVidia card, so I was looking at nVidia Control Panel. The relevant page is the default opening page: Adjust Desktop Colour Settings.

Item 1: Select relevant display (I use three displays)

Item 2: Choose how colour is set - I have "Other applications control colour settings" i.e. X-Plane

Item 3: Apply the following enhancements: - here I found the problem/solution.

For some reason the Digital vibrance had set itself to zero. Setting this slider to 50% cured everything.

Intel i9900K @ 3.60 GHz, nVidia RTX 2080i (11 GB RAM onboard),
32 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, ASUSTek Z390-Plus Mobo
(LGA1151); Running P3Dv5.4, MSFS2020 and XPlane11;