Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

FSX Scenery Enhancement

Hi all,

As with a lot of people, I am sick and tired of FSX's rubbish textures. I have recently gotten into using ADE to enhance airports, and wondered if it would be possible to improve say, airport building textures. Currently, they are 1024x1024, but would I be able to open these image files in GIMP/Photoshop/Whatever and edit them to make them higher resolution, look better, etc.

Thanks,

Will.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums, Will! :happy:  You could probably give that a try or look through the File Library here and elsewhere on the Interweb for replacement buildings and/or totally updated airports, both freeware and payware.  Is there any one airport scenery that you would like?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

WELCOME!

Here's an add-on which affects FSX airports globally for those airports you may not want to specifically update.

https://www.fspilotshop.com/zinertek-airport-graphics-for-fsx-and-p3d-pr-5310.html

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Welcome to the AVSIM forums, Will! :happy:  You could probably give that a try or look through the File Library here and elsewhere on the Interweb for replacement buildings and/or totally updated airports, both freeware and payware.  Is there any one airport scenery that you would like?

Thanks Charlie. I wasn’t thinking of doing specific airports (might do in the future), but just updating the default buildings so that these enormous hangars don’t have 1024x1024 textures. Might have a hit on performance, but should matter to much as I run FSX on a gaming beast!

Also have a look at Orbx Global.

It will replace all your FSX textures for a new and improved look.

Bert

34 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Also have a look at Orbx Global.

It will replace all your FSX textures for a new and improved look.

Actually Bert, I already have some of the FTX scenery. Would anyone recommend REX5 Worldwide Airports?

Yes, I would recommend REX Worldwide Airports.  With one add-on you can give all your default airports a fresh coat of paint. 😄

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You likely won't get any higher quality by increasing texture size. You'll just get impact on performance. You can go down with texture size and not lose quality but not up.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

On 4/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, WilliamS said:

Might have a hit on performance, but should matter to much as I run FSX on a gaming beast!

Hi Will,

Although you have the benefit of a gaming beast, FSX will still be subject to its 4GB VAS limitation so you may need to be a little cautious about populating your FSX world with too many 4096 textures!

Also editing all the image files to improve them sounds like a lot of effort (unless you enjoy that sort of thing!), so I too would agree with using Rex Worldwide Airports as an easy way to improve the appearance of your default airports, providing a selection of airport textures that you can change from time to time if you get bored with them. This combined with Orbx Global, as suggested by Bert, can provide a very nice improvement indeed to the overall appearance of FSX.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1