Sign in to follow this  

There is a lot of speculation bouncing around in this thread and information I presume pulled from various posts. The TrueEarth series are expensive and hard to produce, this much is true . I often read a lot of posts from armchair experts continually on how these sceneries are easy to make with free tools and data and I'd really love to hear from these "experts" how to make GB with such detail using free data and tools out there, as so far I've not found it. It's amazing how things and perceptions change from comments when you know the truth behind things and are personally involved and it's certainly opened my eyes to the amount of misinformation that gets spread around so easily and not to believe 90% of the information out there.

Another common misconception is that the regions are simply "converted" from X-Plane to P3D/AF2. This is not true, they are three very different sims scenery wise and require quite different workflows to support the relevant tech each sim has. This process is currently being streamlined so it's faster and shared as much as possible, but it's not just a case of clicking a button and the scenery magically works in P3D and AF2 as well (I really wish it was the case, but it isn't, not yet ;-)). Another thing very often completely ignored is that X-Plane and AF2 do cope much better with similar scenery in the same area, but nobody is willing to point fingers at the sim.

There is a certain resistance from people who feel the need to claim we don't need payware on X-Plane and freeware is good enough. Users have demanded quality addons for years on X-Plane and when several of the big players come along to make scenery and aircraft they are met with a barrage of criticism and resistance. e.g. Any mention of PMDG on X-Plane will automatically get attacked with 1000 "Zibo is the best posts", and it isn't doing the X-Plane community any favours convincing P3D/FSX users to give the sim a try. If you don't like payware then great, don't buy it, it's really that simple. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

I for one am VERY happy and excited to see OrbX in the X-Plane world.

Anything using Ortho will never be perfect, but the truly authentic real world look that can come from their approach is uncanny and really stands out if you're a real world pilot and know an area well in real life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irrics said:

I for one am VERY happy and excited to see OrbX in the X-Plane world.

Anything using Ortho will never be perfect, but the truly authentic real world look that can come from their approach is uncanny and really stands out if you're a real world pilot and know an area well in real life.

I agree,  and am also excited to see Orbx in X-Plane. I am hoping for some True Earth USA in the future.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I agree too, as far as I am using X-Plane as well. However, as a long-time Prepar3d user, which I intend to remain, I am less than excited to see they failed with the Prepar3d counterpart even of TE GB South and as a result shifted GB Central and North into a blurry future.

This way ORBX has done a good service to X-Plane and its users, but a bad one to Prepar3d and its users, sorry to state it that explicitly. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

15 minutes ago, pmb said:

I agree too, as far as I am using X-Plane as well. However, as a long-time Prepar3d user, which I intend to remain, I am less than excited to see they failed with the Prepar3d counterpart even of TE GB South and as a result shifted GB Central and North into a blurry future.

This way ORBX has done a good service to X-Plane and its users, but a bad one to Prepar3d and its users, sorry to state it that explicitly. 

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, I wouldn't say that Orbx failed at all.   There's a lot that's good in the package, even if around London is a dog...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

15 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Michael, I wouldn't say that Orbx failed at all.   There's a lot that's good in the package, even if around London is a dog...

While it's not bad outside of London indeed, it looks and performs much better in X-Plane and is just more fun to fly, at least on my system. And I say this as a pretty die-hard P3D user.

Aside this, the initial outcry seems to have doomed the approach among Prepar3d users, even if some of the performance issues could be alleviated by proper settings in the mean.

I would be more than happy if ORBX could turn the tide in the future.

Best, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

23 hours ago, pmb said:

While it's not bad outside of London indeed, it looks and performs much better in X-Plane and is just more fun to fly, at least on my system. And I say this as a pretty die-hard P3D user.

Aside this, the initial outcry seems to have doomed the approach among Prepar3d users, even if some of the performance issues could be alleviated by proper settings in the mean.

I would be more than happy if ORBX could turn the tide in the future.

Best, Michael

Oddly, I get the opposite. Most places I get 60fps in p3d with all sliders full right at 4K. 30fps,over London and some stuttering but I don’t fly over London so don’t mind. I’d be very happy if I could get that performance in X-Plane with everything maxed out, I’m lucky to get 30fps in X-Plane. The only scenery I have in both is true earth. Wish I could get better performance without turning X-Plane settings down.

When you have tasted a single flight with TrueEarth XP it is completely impossible to go back.

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

I bet! Looking forward to Washington and future areas of the US.

Edited by Pugilist2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

That video of the upcoming "Washington" sets this old heart going pitty pat.  Having looked at it from the air for several years, it looks just like the map and the details are stupendous (is that a real word?).

23 hours ago, filou said:

When you have tasted a single flight with TrueEarth XP it is completely impossible to go back.

Yes, they really do a good job. I have there US sceneries for P3D, however I deleted P3D since every time I added an aircraft, P3D ask me for registration.I finally ran out of registrations and could not be bothered mailing them since x-plane 11 is all I need now.

Edited by michelh