Sign in to follow this  
lewblok

Add-on Scenery files on seperate drive

My add-on scenery files are taking all of my space on the c:/ drive.  I want to move them to my E:/ drive and delete from the C: drive.  FSX is on the C: drive and how do I get FSX to retrieve the files from the E: drive?  I have 700 GB of Megascenery Earth files and this will free up my C: drive.  I appreciate any responses and thanks in advance for your help!

Lewis Block

The scenery.cfg file tells FSX where to find the sceneries.

You can move the scenery files to your new drive and either edit the scenery.cfg file by hand or use the FSX scenery library manager to do the same thing.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thanks Bert, will the FSX scenery library do it automatically?  If I have to do it manually, what do I change-- the C: drive to E:?

I deleted the Megascenery files on my c: drive and fsx did not find the files on my e: drive.  Now what do I do?

lewis

What does your Scenery Library Manager display?

You will have to tell it where to look for the (moved) scenery files..

Bert

Everything is as was in the Manager in scenery library.  But tried a flight and my megascenery earth scenery was not there.  Somehow

fsx is not picking up on my E: megascenery earth file.

Lewis

I moved all by addon scenery to another drive, some 50gigs, then used the Lorby Addon manager to point to that installation. It would be nice if ORBX and some other scenery developers stopped installing to the Prepar3d root directory so that they could easily be moved to another drive.

steve southey

56 minutes ago, lewblok said:

Everything is as was in the Manager in scenery library.  But tried a flight and my megascenery earth scenery was not there.  Somehow

fsx is not picking up on my E: megascenery earth file.

Lewis

"is as was" tells FSX to look in the old location..

You need to tell it where the scenery is now!  :wink:

With complete drive information:  E:\my scenery files\MegaEarthXXX or something similar.

Bert

Bert, I understand what you are saying, but my question is where do I tell it to look in the E; drive?  Just can't determine where to do that step or make that entry.  Thanks.  I am going through the scenery library now and trying to do each one manually.  When these files were on the same drive as the FSX, they were in a separate directory MegaScenery Earth on the C: drive and Fsx went to them.  Like I said, I need to point FSX to the new drive.

Edited by lewblok
More info

Go to Scenery Library, choose one of your Megascenery entries, choose Edit Area, point it to the new directory (on your E: drive), click OK etc and FSX should now find that scenery in the new location...

Do this for every scenery area that you moved.

Bert

That is what I am in the process of doing.  Appreciate the help.  What I don't understand, is when I download the MegaScenery files to the separate Megascenery earth folder (directory) on C: drive, the FSX program accesses this new folder and automatically downloads these new sceneries into my scenery manager without any visible link.  That was what I was looking for.  Your expertise is well taken.  Thanks again

Lewis