Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Thrustmaster Warthog Settings for P3D

Hey folks - Just wondering if the out of the box p3d settings are good for the Thrustmaster Warthog.  It feels a little sluggish in P3D to me for some reason, almost like it needs alot of input to manage the FSL A320 sometimes.  In XP on the FF320 - it feels a tad more responsive to where I would think the real thing would respond.  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

If you have the full version of FSUIPC, it is much more flexible for configuring a complex controller like the TM Warthog.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If you have the full version of FSUIPC, it is much more flexible for configuring a complex controller like the TM Warthog.

Can't fly without it!  Ill give a try configuring it via FSUIPC instead of in sim and see the difference.  For an example of what I notice is even with proper trim it seems I almost need a full deflection back on the stick to get away from the ground.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Make sure you go into P3D settings and max out all the Sensitivies, then reduce Deadzones to your liking.

Edited by itsjase

Yea - so far with FSUIPC it seems WAY more responsive.  Felt very natural taking off just now.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

The Warthog is probably the best HOTAS on the market IMO. You shouldn't install the Warthog drivers, neither should you configure via anything other than FSUIPC. I use FSUIPC for sliders and axis control and LINDA for switch assignments. Job done 😉

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

8 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

The Warthog is probably the best HOTAS on the market IMO. You shouldn't install the Warthog drivers, neither should you configure via anything other than FSUIPC. I use FSUIPC for sliders and axis control and LINDA for switch assignments. Job done 😉

I heard horror stories of the TM drivers so I never installed them.  After switching to FSUIPC (already used LINDA for switches), Im good to go!  The bus is much more enjoyable now!  Honestly I wish I upgraded to this stick a long time ago.  Instead, it took a flood from the 2nd floor which took out my existing (TM Top Gun? I think) to force the upgrade on me lol.

• Like 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

I'm very happy with my Warthog HOTAS and don't use FSUIPC for any axis assignment or calibration.  I keep it simple and set everything up in P3D.

As far as calibration goes, while FSUIPC does provide ability to customize the response curve I prefer that my calibration is linear.  It is up to the aircraft developer to build into their design how much roll rate you get for a certain control deflection, or how much pitch rotation.  This should not be dependent on the controller.  In my opinion we should only be setting the zero or midpoint and the span.  However, not all aircraft developers do a good job in this area so in this case I'd be using FSUIPC as well.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 4/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, downscc said:

I'm very happy with my Warthog HOTAS and don't use FSUIPC for any axis assignment or calibration.  I keep it simple and set everything up in P3D.

As far as calibration goes, while FSUIPC does provide ability to customize the response curve I prefer that my calibration is linear.  It is up to the aircraft developer to build into their design how much roll rate you get for a certain control deflection, or how much pitch rotation.  This should not be dependent on the controller.  In my opinion we should only be setting the zero or midpoint and the span.  However, not all aircraft developers do a good job in this area so in this case I'd be using FSUIPC as well.

Dan, correct me if I am wrong, but unlike FSUIPC, P3D doesn't allow you to create separate aircraft profiles for the controller.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

On 4/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, downscc said:

That's just how I roll also. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Dan, correct me if I am wrong, but unlike FSUIPC, P3D doesn't allow you to create separate aircraft profiles for the controller.

Not true.  One may save and load any configuration you have saved using the EXPORT/IMPORT buttons.  I have long suggest that they should be labeled SAVE/LOAD.  This is not automatic with different aircraft but it only takes 5 sec to do.  I have configurations for my DC6, twin and quad jets.

Dan Downs KCRP

The Thrustmaster Warthog will not work without its drivers.

Dave Taylor gb.png

4 hours ago, G7USL said:

The Thrustmaster Warthog will not work without its drivers.

Sure it will.  It is recognized in both Win 7 and Win 10 as a standard HID device without installing any software.  I have mine on a Win 10 box with nothing but standard Microsoft HID drivers and it works fine.

If you want to customize things using T.A.R.G.E.T. or to flash the firmware, then you'll probably need the TM software.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've not been very successful trying to use that T.A.R.G.E.T. middleware with P3D in Windows 10.  Used to use it with FSX in Windows 7 and looked for updates from them and gave up.

Agree with Bob... both the stick and throttle controllers work perfectly well simply plugged in and assigned in P3D.  If one wants to assign buttons and switches to specific events or commands not available in the existing P3D bindings then one simply uses FSUIPC.  Simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

To each his own - that is what flight simming seems to rely on to keep the props spinning. I agree with the general sentiment that the Warthog is a great controller and have used it for a number of years now, having bought it back in 2014. For my 2 cents the T.A.R.G.E.T. software is C.R.A.P. (apologies to moderators if that upsets their sensibilities) in W10.

I used the P3D controller setup UI for a while (about a year I guess) but switching back and forth when changing AC got to be a pain especially when I started adding aircraft that made full use of the Warthog (eg: weapons systems) buttons. FSUIPC stands so far out in front when setting up specific profiles there is no coming back imo.

Cheers

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server