Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

FSX or P3D?

Hi All.

I have been sick and tired of FSX recently... It is just so ugly and old. Now, I am considering buying P3D. My rig is as follows:

i5 7300HQ. My System Info says it has a base frequency of 2.5GHz, but realistically it's about 3.5GHz.

Nvidia GeForce 1050

8GB of RAM

A lot of hard drive space

1920x1080 monitor.

I can run FSX with PMDG 737 at about 40 FPS.

I would just like to know your experiences with P3D, and whether or not you think it would be worth buying, and crucially would I be able to run it? Another important point for me is that I fly on VATSIM, so which sim is more widely used among that community. Thanks!

You might find that P3Dv4 will struggle to run well on an i5 processor, but you should be able to get more information on this over on the P3D forum.

Bill

Thanks. I have already posted there. Do you know anything about V3?

No I don’t apart from the fact that I understand that v3 is a 32-bit simulation so I assume it may have the same issues as FSX in terms of the risk of OOM errors due to the 4GB VAS limit. V4 however is a 64-bit simulation so can run more resource intensive aircraft/scenery combinations without this problem.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scianoir said:

No I don’t apart from the fact that I understand that v3 is a 32-bit simulation so I assume it may have the same issues as FSX in terms of the risk of OOM errors due to the 4GB VAS limit. V4 however is a 64-bit simulation so can run more resource intensive aircraft/scenery combinations without this problem.

Bill

I have read a bit about these "out of memory" errors with P3D and FSX, but have never experienced one in FSX. Does the fact that I run FSX:SE make a difference? Thanks, Will.

3 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

I have read a bit about these "out of memory" errors with P3D and FSX, but have never experienced one in FSX. Does the fact that I run FSX:SE make a difference? Thanks, Will.

FSX:SE is also a 32-bit application so it too will have the same 4GB VAS limitation but if you don’t have a lot of resource intensive addon scenery you would be able to use your PMDG 737 without hitting the VAS limit that causes the OOM. I don’t have their 737 but I use the PMDG 777 in FSX and I have to be cautious flying it into certain addon airports if an OOM error is to be avoided. 

Bill

13 minutes ago, scianoir said:

FSX:SE is also a 32-bit application so it too will have the same 4GB VAS limitation but if you don’t have a lot of resource intensive addon scenery you would be able to use your PMDG 737 without hitting the VAS limit that causes the OOM. I don’t have their 737 but I use the PMDG 777 in FSX and I have to be cautious flying it into certain addon airports if an OOM error is to be avoided. 

Bill

Ok. Many thanks for all the help Bill, hope you have a good weekend! Will.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WilliamS said:

I have been sick and tired of FSX recently... It is just so ugly and old. Now, I am considering buying P3D. My rig is as follows:

I would request that a moderator lock this topic as, per the sticky at the top of the forum it belongs elsewhere.

Thanks..

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

1 hour ago, airernie said:

I would request that a moderator lock this topic as, per the sticky at the top of the forum it belongs elsewhere.

Thanks..

I moved this post from the FSX forum to here.  Please do not do identical posts in multiple forums.  That is against the AVSIM TOS.  I am also locking this discussion BEFORE it becomes a flame war!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: