Sign in to follow this  
klamal

GSX - For the love of God, Please change your announcements!!!!

Just FYI -- the don't update procedure works for all GSX folders, not just the sounds. So if you make modifications, you won't lose them in Live Update.

Glad to help.

Go ManU :)

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

5 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Every thread requesting a change in how the program works is just meant with obstinance. It's a pointless exercise. He provides fast support, but there's no way to change his thinking about how GSX works. 

Each and every change in GSX, since 2012, has ALWAYS been the result of us listening to users suggestions.  Even when they are complex and possibly dangerous.

For example, the ability to pre-select a gate in flight was added after another user, just like you, keep saying that "we don't listen", just because that feature was particularly dear to HIM so, in order to stop him spreading this absolute nonsense about we supposedly not listening to suggestion (we always do, just we didn't want to rush to add THAT one, because I KNEW it came with possible issue), we had a look at it and, as usual, we added it.

The addition of this feature required GSX to continue to query the world outside, while flying (before, GSX was active only on ground), and because of this, we ran into what is likely a very old bug in the simulator, in an interface that probably nobody use, which caused the infamous crash over Canada, and possibly other remote areas. This is now likely fixed, because GSX again makes itself entirely inactive while cruising, but the problem might still happen again, at least of someone would insist crossing the N.Atlantic below 10K feet because, of course, the problem was never GSX to begin with, we just sidestepped it.

Had I stick to the original explanation that GSX was designed to be used on ground only, perhaps someone might have rightfully said "we don't listen to suggestion", but we might have saved a lots of user frustrations due to the crashes, and I think I saw you participating in the thread about it, and the one the discussed the fix as well.

Another example, the automatic servicing option AND the parallel operation. I KNEW they would cause issues, especially if used together.

But since we always listen to each and every suggestion that comes from users, we DID It. And now, of course, some users complained about more cases of vehicles running into each other, or the change in how they work, like the baggage loaders going back/forth now from boarding to deboarding, in order to prevent a conflict with the rear catering, which now can be used while loading cargo (before, it couldn't, since operations were only done in sequence).

Had I stick to my original explanation that GSX operations were designed to run in sequence, because vehicles are not really aware of each other (and if they did, the program would both be much slower, and a whole new class of problems would happen, namely "deadlocks" over the apron, when the space is limited), people would get the wrong idea "we don't listen", but we would see vehicles running into each other way less often.

Another issue is, sometime users make suggestions about really minor things that are so irrelevant that sometimes I believe they are not serious.

Complaining about "dreadful grammar (and annoying accent)" of real world recordings of real world people boarding a real airplane ? REALLY ?

We have been working for the past 3 months our collective *sses to bring an huge FREE update that will feature an almost completely remade set of new vehicles, not just with repainted PBR texture, but with lots of new models made from scratch, the new Fuel Hydrant that took 2 months of work just to do the animation right, a revolutionized system to create logos, that in addition to save a lot of startup time (we reduced the number of installed objects by about 7000), will make trivially easier to do custom repaints, we are also working to lay the foundation for a completely rewamped Pushback system with full user customization, and someone is complaining about the ACCENT of the passengers being "annoying" ? Really ?

And, of course, since it's very easy to replace the .WAV files and we explained on our forum, multiple times, even how to prevent them to be updated by the Live Update (by creating the DONTUPDATE  file ), that I could even start to begin to imagine someone would really SO worried about this, as if was the only thing missing from GSX, or the most important.

Do you think it would be smart to stop working on the PBR update, the new Fuel Hydrant, the new Pushback or (God forbids) KORD V2, just to look around for *another* set of voices, from *another* group of people with less annoying accents ?

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 12

2 hours ago, pgde said:

Just FYI -- the don't update procedure works for all GSX folders, not just the sounds. So if you make modifications, you won't lose them in Live Update.

Glad to help.

Go ManU 🙂

P.

Yes but, please, don't go overboard with it.

That's basically an hack which, again, as been made because users that like to tweak things asked for it, so we added it even if I'm personally against it.

It was made primarily to keep user-made modification to our own AFCAD safe from updates, but shouldn't be abused and placed everywhere, because the more you use it, the more you risk running into issues because you prevented the Live Update to do its job.

Sounds are reasonably safe to be prevented from updating, but please don't use it elsewhere.

7 hours ago, virtuali said:

Complaining about "dreadful grammar (and annoying accent)" of real world recordings of real world people boarding a real airplane ? REALLY ?

We have been working for the past 3 months our collective *sses to bring an huge FREE update ... and someone is complaining about the ACCENT of the passengers being "annoying" ? Really ?

As you highlighted my post let me reply. It's not all the voices and there many of them. It's just one and I'm sorry if me complaining annoys you but I just find that one grating. A bit like fingernails down a blackboard. Bob's suggestion about general background chatter is a good idea.

I know you are working on a major update but I'm not aware of what is being planned. If you recall I did point out a 'bug' with fuel loading that resets pax numbers back to default and you said that fix is outstanding because of the major update. Not a problem.

Please don't take these criticisms to heart. GSX is a wonderful program. It's just human nature to moan about things you don't like rather than praise it for what it gives. I continue to use GSX and consider it amongst the top purchases for FSX/P3D I have made. I'm sure I'm not alone.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 hours ago, simbol said:

It would be better if you guys formulate a positive feedback requiring new sounds and how you would like them to work, etc.

Umberto is very good at listening to customers requirements and new features requests.

And I am sure that writing this in a nice way on his forums would have positive results.

Regards,

Simbol 

Of course - but it's much easier to lash out and complaint, than actually give supportive, constructive and positive feedback.

Human nature at work... 🙂

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

9 hours ago, virtuali said:

And, of course, since it's very easy to replace the .WAV files and we explained on our forum, multiple times, even how to prevent them to be updated by the Live Update (by creating the DONTUPDATE  file ), that I could even start to begin to imagine someone would really SO worried about this, as if was the only thing missing from GSX, or the most important.

Do you think it would be smart to stop working on the PBR update, the new Fuel Hydrant, the new Pushback or (God forbids) KORD V2, just to look around for *another* set of voices, from *another* group of people with less annoying accents ? 

great to read what's in the queue, but it also sounds like underestimating user requests. If you look in the AVSIM library, the GSX replacement sounds have 8300 and 6500 downloads. So it's not just A FEW in a thread here apparently nerved by the boarding and pushback sounds. To be honest, during a 15 minute boarding, it's hard to stand the repetitive default sounds. Why not region specific soundsets, maybe US-UK-Europe ? You would probably find a lot of users happy to contribute to this with their voices.

There are also other threads in your forum of users requesting a networkable version (or maybe IOS/Android App) to operate the menus. Not only the homecockpit users want their immersion to be spoiled by menus. Unfortunately this is also getting ignored since years.

It's all about immersion ...

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

I have a friend of mines who works for American Airline , he can provide such as cabin announcement and real in flight environment  .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

16 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Every thread requesting a change in how the program works is just meant with obstinance. It's a pointless exercise. He provides fast support, but there's no way to change his thinking about how GSX works. 

I think he just gets fed up with solving the same old user errors caused by people not following instructions or reading manuals.

Ian S

38.jpg

Ridiculous thread. GSX is amazing. Wouldn’t change a thing. So many other things in flightsim that suck, need overhauls and completely make me lose immersion. GSX is not one of them

20 minutes ago, Redwood said:

Ridiculous thread. GSX is amazing. Wouldn’t change a thing. So many other things in flightsim that suck, need overhauls and completely make me lose immersion. GSX is not one of them

Name the things that “suck”. Separate topic obviously.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Name the things that “suck”. Separate topic obviously.

It’s really not necessary to go into it specially and bash any developers. At the end of the day someone putting effort into this hobby for us is always a positive. 

6 minutes ago, Redwood said:

It’s really not necessary to go into it specially and bash any developers. At the end of the day someone putting effort into this hobby for us is always a positive. 

Who mentioned “bashing” developers? Have you not heard of constructive criticism?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Who mentioned “bashing” developers? Have you not heard of constructive criticism?

You quoted me saying other things that suck asking for specifics. If I Threw out specific software then I would consider that bashing. 

5 minutes ago, Redwood said:

You quoted me saying other things that suck asking for specifics. If I Threw out specific software then I would consider that bashing. 

Then don’t use words like “suck”. Be more considered.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Then don’t use words like “suck”. Be more considered.

So basically my initial point of me supporting GSX just flew over your head and you were just looking to argue about anything. Have a nice day.