Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Big??!!

Well big is a relative word. Anyway, our entertainment will be reduced since Paul Allen died and Stratolaunch laid off lots of employees. Still they do some interesting things. They flew this the first time today...

https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2019/4/13/18309129/stratolaunch-worlds-biggest-airplane-first-flight-rockets

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Wow! I eagerly await more footage of this strange aircraft. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It must be a weird feeling, landing that thing with the pilot's view shifted so far off the runway center-line. I guess they've had plenty of practice in the sim. Or else it's basically auto-land with pilot monitoring.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

15 hours ago, Fielder said:

Well big is a relative word. Anyway, our entertainment will be reduced since Paul Allen died and Stratolaunch laid off lots of employees. Still they do some interesting things. They flew this the first time today...

https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2019/4/13/18309129/stratolaunch-worlds-biggest-airplane-first-flight-rockets

I'm wondering if there is a failsafe procedure should the attached satellite fail to release, powers up and takes the aircraft up into orbit....🤣

Nothing can possibly go wrong....go wrong...go wrong...go wrong...

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It must be a weird feeling, landing that thing with the pilot's view shifted so far off the runway center-line. I guess they've had plenty of practice in the sim. Or else it's basically auto-land with pilot monitoring.

I suspect they must have a camera to aid them somehow, possibly mounted in the cusp of the wing, I could not otherwise imagine taxiing with an off kilter view.  Amazing aircraft, although I read virgin plans on using a modified 747-400 to do the same thing.  Also the Pegasus rocket has been in use for years, also launched from a modified L1011. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(rocket)

John

How does the center spar hold those two massive fuselages together?  

It must be massively strong.

I still wonder if there is any flex between the two ends - there would almost have to be.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB