Sign in to follow this  
jeremyc172

Extremely low drop in FPS..... while only facing ONE terminal?

I'm running the payware Taxi2Gate Mexico City XTREME scenery.  It's very accurate and realistic, but I have a problem.  Whenever I point the camera at Terminal 1 at the MMMX airport and TERMINAL 1 ONLY, I see a big drop in my framerate.  I have a good gaming laptop and, with maxed out settings, FSX will run at 40-60+ FPS in the rest of the city and I can get up to triple digit framerates when I'm out in the open, therefore it's not a performance problem.  There is something inside Terminal 1 or right next to it that is nosediving my framerate from 30-60 down to 7-10 FPS, whenever I simply turn the camera at it.

The question is: WHAT?

I've spent a lot of time looking at performance boosts, tinkered with my FSX.cfg file, except this is the only place where I am experiencing major lag problems like this.  I can spawn anywhere at the MMMX airport but if the camera is merely pointed at T1 I get major lag problems.  I can turn the camera 180 degrees and my FPS will even triple!  Once again, I have no idea what is going wrong, and I don't know why simply doing this is lagging me like crazy.  Any ideas?

So,........is your objective to sit at that airport and stare at terminal one all day long or get your aircraft started and go

fly somewhere?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 minutes ago, charliearon said:

So,........is your objective to sit at that airport and stare at terminal one all day long or get your aircraft started and go

fly somewhere?

No.  While I'm taking off and landing, I get major FPS lag.  As I said before, my FPS is good literally everywhere else on the planet, but when I'm at a gate in T1 or taxiing to it/close by it, it drops dramatically.  Once I take off, the FPS improves a lot; it's just a bit annoying to have such low FPS at the airport itself.

How high are your settings for AI aircraft?  Is there lots of traffic on the ground at that airport?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Just now, charliearon said:

How high are your settings for AI aircraft?  Is there lots of traffic on the ground at that airport?

Yeah....... I have it completely maxed out.  However, AI traffic of any kind seems to have a much lesser impact on performance (I'm running DX10 with Steve's Fixer) on my machine.  Additionally, there are many other airports I've been at with yet more traffic but don't lag like this.  Further flying around the airport shows that it might not even be T1.  Runways, runway lights, whatever it is, it's making me lag.

Well, unless you have a 5.0GHZ CPU on your "gaming" laptop, you may want to consider dropping some of your sliders down a bit.  I have my Airline AI set to 35% and have busy airports and skies around me.  Maybe kill Lens Flare and Light Bloom and turn down water settings to 2.0.

Charlie Aron

44 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Well, unless you have a 5.0GHZ CPU on your "gaming" laptop, you may want to consider dropping some of your sliders down a bit.  I have my Airline AI set to 35% and have busy airports and skies around me.  Maybe kill Lens Flare and Light Bloom and turn down water settings to 2.0.

My CPU is an Intel i7-8750H, hexa-core, dodeca (12)-thread. When idle, it runs at about 3.9 GHz but with Turbo Boost it can go up to 4.1 GHz.  That leads me another question I have- I have AffinityMask set in my .CFG so FSX can use all six cores.  For some reason, when all six cores are in use, Turbo Boost runs at 2.7 GHz in each core, according to Task Manager.  I've read on some other threads that FSX makes the most use out of one (or two?) cores, therefore would it run better if it was using one or two cores at 4.1 GHz instead of 6 cores at 2.7?

But also, about the low framerate.  It's only a temporary thing; I was just asking because I wanted to make some videos- HOWEVER I can easily run FSX at 1/4 simulation speed, then speed the video up by a factor of 4 in my video editor.

Those sorts of issues were pretty commonplace with FSX.  It could be a bad texture, some sort of anomaly in the terminal model, or it could be there's something in the field of view other than the terminal (even something like traffic at another airport far in the distance) causing it.

If it's a problem with the terminal models or textures, you could try looking at it with a utility like ModelConverterX, but that will entail spending a fair bit of time on it.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 4/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, w6kd said:

Those sorts of issues were pretty commonplace with FSX.  It could be a bad texture, some sort of anomaly in the terminal model, or it could be there's something in the field of view other than the terminal (even something like traffic at another airport far in the distance) causing it.

If it's a problem with the terminal models or textures, you could try looking at it with a utility like ModelConverterX, but that will entail spending a fair bit of time on it.

Regards

I use MCX a lot.  Perhaps that might work.