Sign in to follow this  
UnkaBobby

Is Photoreal scenery the way to go?

On 4/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, scotth6 said:

Hi,

There are Bit Torrent links on the Freemesh X website.

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/bit-torrent-download-links/

Cheers,

@scotth6: So this is just the way it goes... I got the whole Freemesh X downloaded via a torrent (THANKS!), then 30min later, my Laptop goes blue screen of death. I reboot it and it boots straight into the BIOS. I reboot and it does it again. I check under where it says Drives and it shows empty. The HDD died. BAHH!

Luckily I had a backup. Maybe I'll move to a SSD since I have to have it replaced.

24 minutes ago, mypupdaisy said:

@scotth6: So this is just the way it goes... I got the whole Freemesh X downloaded via a torrent (THANKS!), then 30min later, my Laptop goes blue screen of death. I reboot it and it boots straight into the BIOS. I reboot and it does it again. I check under where it says Drives and it shows empty. The HDD died. BAHH!

Luckily I had a backup. Maybe I'll move to a SSD since I have to have it replaced.

Oh no!  That's terrible news.  At least you have a backup.  I doubt Freemesh X had anything to do with it.  I don't use it myself, but I know a number of others who do, and I've only heard good reports about it.

Really sorry to hear of your bad luck.  Hopefully you get up and running again without too much hassle.

Cheers,

On 4/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, scotth6 said:

Hi Bobby,

Sorry for the late reply; for some reason I only just saw the notification of your post.

I will try to help if I can.

I will just explain what I do and how that works.  I always put any large photoscenery (eg megascenery states, countries etc) right above the last default P3D entry.  I suppose it should actually be below the P3D default airports and cities, so those sceneries showed above the photoreal if they happen to be in the same location.  There is no problem keeping photoscenery and a landclass product like UTX or FTX OpenLC or Global active in the same scenery.cfg.  The photoreal scenery will just override the landclass scenery as it is at a higher resolution than the landclass textures.  The simplest way I can think to explain it is with a rundown of the order I place things in my scenery,cfg, which I think abides by the recommended way.  The top of the list is the scenery with the highest priority, and the highest number when viewed in the scenery,cfg file.  When viewing the text file (scenery.cfg) the highest number is actually at the bottom of the file.  I would recommend using a program such as Scenery Config Editor for an easy way to add, remove and move scenery entries.

I will add a special note regarding ORBX scenery if you have any.  ORBX can and should be left in the order that the FTX Central application leaves it in.  The sceneries are ordered automatically to work with each other.  You can add entries above or below the ORBX entries, but the ORBX entries should be left in their set order.

Here is how the ordering in the scenery.cfg generally works

Airports (eg FSDT KJFK)                                                                                   <--Highest Priority

3D scenery (eg Drzewiecki Design New York City)

Landclass addons (eg FTX OpenLC, UTX)

High resolution photoscenery (eg Megascenery Ultra Res cities New York)

Lower resolution photoscenery (eg Megascenery New York (State))

Addon Mesh (eg Freemesh X)

Default FSX/P3D entries                                                                                     <--Lowest Priority

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

This whole thread was so helpful, but thanks especially for taking the time to break down the priorities of different kinds of addons for me! Pinned your post in my FSX bookmarks folder.

Couple people mentioned Freemesh X, do you recommend it  as a main mesh addon, if Orbx MegasceneryEarth addons are to be installed on top of it?

Thanks again!

Happy Deep-Sky Flying!

--B.

1 hour ago, UnkaBobby said:

Couple people mentioned Freemesh X, do you recommend it  as a main mesh addon, if Orbx MegasceneryEarth addons are to be installed on top of it?

I can't really say as I don't use it myself.  You probably don't really need mesh gor the whole world, so maybe just check some free stuff out in the areas you are most interested in.  I have even seen mesh addons listed in the file libraries at Avsim, Simviation, and Flightsim.com.

To be honest I don't see much point installing an addon mesh unless it is going to be high resolution, as a hi res mesh used with photoreal can look amazing.  I actually used 1m and smaller LIDAR data a few years ago to experiment with making a hi res mesh to be used with photoreal, and I made quite a few little areas. 

The LIDAR data (from opentopography website) was limited in size, but the effect it produced was excellent.  If you have PR for New Jersey I remember downloading a 5m mesh for NJ a few years ago.  Just do general google searches and I'm sure you'll find heaps.  

In my opinion you want a mesh that has a 10m/pixel resolution or less.  The only mesh I ever purchased was some France VFR Nextgen mesh for France and a few surrounding countries, and that is 5m, and it looks amazing with photoreal.

All just my opinions. ☺️

Cheers,

When buying an airport for tubes eg all of FSDT then I buy the state in photo scenery and the city itself surrounding the airport in Ultra res. That way departure and approach always look good and the bits in between arent really important at 35000ft

eg KJFK  buy the state from MSE and buy the ultra res city on top. MSE has improved its photo scenery resolution  a lot over the last few years

ZORAN