Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Does anyone use Track IR anymore ?

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I still use it but my TCP is duct taped together.  That thing is poorly manufactured.  I mainly use it with GA and I use it in XP11 and P3D.  I think it's most useful in the traffic pattern.  I'm hesitant to get into VR as it's a one man deal (hard to have people watch you hah) and it's too low res for me.

I too use the Seth - Flight profile.  One more thing about TIR it's important to have a pause button.  I am that all the time.  To zoom up and look at something and hold the view for a second (usually helpful with a small clickspot)

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

That is right Vic. I should have mentioned the centering and freezing switches also. Once you realize that it is exactly the same as real life when you get used to the idea that it exaggerates the head movement so that you can look to the left, right, up and down without your eyes actually leaving the monitor.

When flying my QW787 I only freeze the view to set up the flight and tune the numbers on the  instruments, but the rest of the time I am scanning instruments, looking out the windows or scanning the overhead or pedestal as natural as if I was there. If a co-pilot was there I would turn to speak or crack jokes to him or her too (alas, but they not).

It is natural and replicates all the hard wired way we think, act and handle machinery. We are not computers but "different" people in make believe cockpits. We have mastered skills we will likely never use other than meeting some special need each of us have in this unique world we share together.

It's a kind of wonderful and made all the more so by plucking me out of my chair in front of a huge TV and plunking me in the left hand seat of anything I want to fly, anywhere I want to fly it, whenever I want. Other than eating strawberry shortcake at Dairy Queen, it doesn't get better than that!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I still use it but my TCP is duct taped together.  That thing is poorly manufactured.  I mainly use it with GA and I use it in XP11 and P3D.  I think it's most useful in the traffic pattern.  I'm hesitant to get into VR as it's a one man deal (hard to have people watch you hah) and it's too low res for me

I have to agree about the TCP being flimsy. Mine was taped together for a while but I eventually stripped it and used one side of the unit with new leds attached to a headset permanently. It takes the hassle of headset moving all the time.

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Mine is very smooth, but this has to do with placement of the camera as well light sensativity settings and the overall profile you set up.  Once you have those nailed down (pretty easy) then you're all set!

Same experience for as long as TIR existed, one needs to work a bit on the correct setup and once it's done, forget it for good!

I am using the TIR detectors clipped on the side on my headphones which I utilise for MCE, so no need to wear a hat in my basement...! My setup includes a projector showing a life-size cockpit image, so doing without TIR would kill the immersion. 

One last piece of advice, make sure you "map" at least 1 TIR key on your yoke: "Freeze". That will become handy whenever you need to focus on a particular area of your panels and make sure you hit the right button.

Although I know these warnings are both unpleasant and usually ignored by new tech enthusiasts, has anyone given any thoughts about the eye strain generated by VR equipment with a screen located so close to one's eyes? Next time you see him, ask your ophthalmologist.

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Like 2

VR in P3D is next to useless when controlers are not able to be used. Unlike X-Plane where I use VR exclusively.

For P3D back to TrackIr for the moment. Even with Flyiniside, the interface is clumsy.

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Yes, every time without fail. I don’t have vr!

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

3 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

has anyone given any thoughts about the eye strain generated by VR equipment with a screen located so close to one's eyes?

The image isn't close to your eyes. (Nobody has this worry about glasses!)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

oops

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

It's good to see Track IR is not dead after all , I'm giving it a try right now . Thank you to all you guys for the suggestion and sharing your experience. I thought many had stop using it, I can also understand others who stop using it such as myself . I haven't tried track ir from since P3D V4.2 . 

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

23 minutes ago, mr340 said:

It's good to see Track IR is not dead after all , I'm giving it a try right now . Thank you to all you guys for the suggestion and sharing your experience. I thought many had stop using it, I can also understand others who stop using it such as myself . I haven't tried track ir from since P3D V4.2 . 

Just give it some time. You have to get used to it. Once you do I think you'll like it. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

The biggest gotcha in TrackIR is the LED brightness settings. If they are too sensitive, the TrackIR jumps uncontrollably and makes it unusable.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

A little suggestion for those who use track ir with chase plane , in the past I was always suffering from stutters when panning around in the vc using chase plane without track ir , now I discover that by setting Chaseplane Bridge to "High"Priority in the task manager it gives me a rather smooth performance on any airport. I no longer experience those stutters not even when using track ir . How ever I do suggest if you are going to try this , you have to set chase plane bridge priority before starting p3d . Also keep in mind that if you do this with in the task manager it will reset the priority back to normal after you exit chase plane . So in other words you can always use Process Lasso for this so you can permanently set "Chaseplane Bridge" to High Priority . It's strange how this can give you a rather smooth experience with chase plane + track ir . 

• Like 1

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Tried it years ago but would rather use my eyes than my neck.  I could see if you got used to it and couldn't do without.  For me less is more.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

19 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

I use this same technique as well.

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC