mr340

Does anyone use Track IR anymore ?

VR in P3D is next to useless when controlers are not able to be used. Unlike X-Plane where I use VR exclusively.

For P3D back to TrackIr for the moment. Even with Flyiniside, the interface is clumsy.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, every time without fail. I don’t have vr!

3 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

has anyone given any thoughts about the eye strain generated by VR equipment with a screen located so close to one's eyes?

The image isn't close to your eyes. (Nobody has this worry about glasses!)

Posted (edited)

oops

Edited by MarkDH

It's good to see Track IR is not dead after all , I'm giving it a try right now . Thank you to all you guys for the suggestion and sharing your experience. I thought many had stop using it, I can also understand others who stop using it such as myself . I haven't tried track ir from since P3D V4.2 . 

23 minutes ago, mr340 said:

It's good to see Track IR is not dead after all , I'm giving it a try right now . Thank you to all you guys for the suggestion and sharing your experience. I thought many had stop using it, I can also understand others who stop using it such as myself . I haven't tried track ir from since P3D V4.2 . 

Just give it some time. You have to get used to it. Once you do I think you'll like it. 

• Like 1

The biggest gotcha in TrackIR is the LED brightness settings. If they are too sensitive, the TrackIR jumps uncontrollably and makes it unusable.

A little suggestion for those who use track ir with chase plane , in the past I was always suffering from stutters when panning around in the vc using chase plane without track ir , now I discover that by setting Chaseplane Bridge to "High"Priority in the task manager it gives me a rather smooth performance on any airport. I no longer experience those stutters not even when using track ir . How ever I do suggest if you are going to try this , you have to set chase plane bridge priority before starting p3d . Also keep in mind that if you do this with in the task manager it will reset the priority back to normal after you exit chase plane . So in other words you can always use Process Lasso for this so you can permanently set "Chaseplane Bridge" to High Priority . It's strange how this can give you a rather smooth experience with chase plane + track ir . 

• Like 1

Tried it years ago but would rather use my eyes than my neck.  I could see if you got used to it and couldn't do without.  For me less is more.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

I use this same technique as well.

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

I am using TrackIR 5 since the release of version 5, from the Cessna over the Airbus to the Fighter Jet.

In P3D (former FSX), DCS, Falcon BMS, IL2 Sturmovik 46 and BoX, Wings over Flanders Fields, European Truck Simulator and so on...

I would never play again any Simulation without it.

Invest the time to get used to it - its really a good Input Device that enriches the immersion.

Regards,

Jan

I use TIR5 for years now, in FSX and now in Prepar3D with EZCA. Only problem is in the afternoon, when light is going through my , eh window blinds, then I have to shut it down till the sun doesnt hit my window directly. Maybe I have to play with TIR settings for that situation. But: it keeps me from flying too much!

17 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

I use TIR5 for years now, in FSX and now in Prepar3D with EZCA. Only problem is in the afternoon, when light is going through my , eh window blinds, then I have to shut it down till the sun doesnt hit my window directly. Maybe I have to play with TIR settings for that situation. But: it keeps me from flying too much!

For all people having these issues make sure you cover the camera with black stockings, I found this solution long ago in some forum and it really helped

• Like 1

I use it for many years on all my flights.

I don't use TIR in P3D anymore, I prefer to use Chaseplane. However, I have recently started flying in the Harrier in DCS where I have found Track IR is absolutely imperative.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use it, in conjunction with the track clip pro, and chaseplane. I almost exclusively fly GA and Business GA stuff noways, a far cry from the days of every flight being for a VA in a tubeliner of some sort. One day I may return to the commercial side of things, i enjoy the TFDI 717 though.

Anyhow, I would not fly without Track IR now days, No issues for me, 27" 1080p monitor. Be nice to get a 32 or a smaller 4k tv and pair it up.

Edited by BrasiliaNick

On 4/14/2019 at 10:46 PM, vgbaron said:

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

I use my middle mouse button for this. Press middle wheel to freeze, left thumb button to center and left wheel click to use the mouse to pan. Saves my rockers on the yoke for trim.

Posted (edited)

I use it in conjunction with Ezca, every flight (GA, Airliner), every day...essential for me. Just great!

Richard

Edited by DrumsArt

I use TrackIR in P3D and Xplane using the same profile both for GA and airliners. I adds so much to the immersion when flying because usually all your hands are at the controls and when flying a roll you need to turn the head. I could not live without it. The next step would be VR, but the resolution / performance is just not there yet for XP or P3D (it is in Aerofly).

The only downside is that TrackIR requires > 30 FPS to be smooth. That said, it can become jerky when the frames drop below 30 fps (this is with G-SYNC).

To all who use track ir , do you guys use track ir with true view enable ?

10 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

The only downside is that TrackIR requires > 30 FPS to be smooth. That said, it can become jerky when the frames drop below 30 fps (this is with G-SYNC).

If you don't mind somewhat coarser head tracking, put the TIR camera in Standard Mode. This sends far fewer (X,Y,Z) coordinates down the SimConnect channel in P3d4. The same reduction occurs for XP11, but of course without SimConnect.

TIR w/Chaseplane... hard to beat.

• Like 1

I use it all the time... cost me about £2.00 to build, some IR LEDS (£0.30) , a resistor (£0.20), Playstation Eye camera (£1.50) and a track clip printed inhouse... Great when taxing, zooming in to read the taxiway...  Opentrack is great...  A lot cheaper than VR...  When up in the air, EZDOK or Chaseplane views work great...

Posted (edited)

I also refuse to fly (or drive) without it. Been using TiR since round 2006. Last year my beloved device broke (my bad) and I immediately ordered a new one (v5): I didn't fly until I had it installed. I really seriously can't imagine flying (or driving) without it...!!!

I do own a Rift but it is gathering dust. I hate the low resolution but I also don't like the weight on my head and above all (very personal!!!) it seems to induce migraine (again, that's just me!). I also quite often felt somehow detached from the real world while using it and also after using it. All in all the current gen VR devices aren't my cup of tea. I prefer TiR all the time!!! 

Another tip for new users: do not place the Track IR device in the middle of your monitor (as most people seem to do at first) but make sure it's placed exactly opposite of your tracker on your head. If you have the TiR in the middle of the monitor you will easily lose connection with it when you look left (if you wear the tracker left). So if you wear (for instance) the Track Clip Pro on the left side of your head, put the TiR also on the left side of the monitor, as directly opposite as possible to each other (or however you say that in English...).

Another tip: make sure the Track Clip Pro is positioned as horizontally as possible, so not tilted up or down. I have my Clip on my headphone and every now and I accidentally move it a bit, tilting it up and down: as soon as I do that, the view may start jumping whenever I look up or down. If that happens, be sure to check of your Clip is still positioned as horizontally as possible! 

Edited by Guest