Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

My preferred sim

Although I keep P3DV4.4 on my system because of my collection of add on aircraft, Xplane11 has become my preferred sim due to its support of a wider range of the flight envelope, its outstanding landclass, mesh and autogen, and its growing Avsim community.  I dissed Xplane10 on my old system which just did not run it well, even though I had the same amount of memory, my gpu had 1 Gig less memory than I have now, and Xplane11 seems to like that minimum amount, since I have never had a memory crash in the latest sim updates.  So I consider my specs stellar for Xplane11--you know so many sims do not work out well on what is now a low end system, but the north Phoenix Fry's Electronics, which I love because it looks like an ancient hispanic temple on the outside, the salesman promised me my MSI Vortex would run the sim well, and it does. 

I have added many light aircraft, and some turboprops and bizjets, and some bigger jets like the 737 Max business jets, and also some bigger turboprops like the ATR 72 which I flew on just once.  Xplane11 now has a great suite of payware and freeware addon aircraft and it is growing, not to mention a great suite of free scenery add-ons too numerous to mention. 

I still credit Austin Meyer and his team with saving our hobby in the dark days after Microsoft dropped MSFS.  There would have never been a P3D, which I still like, or Aerofly FS2, or DCS, had not Austin kept up the faith in developing for sim pilots and especially student pilots like myself.  My CFI reminded me that us who have been PIC in real life are always students. When I fly I always rent an aircraft with a CFI because I love the company, the coaching, and the sharing of the love of aviation.  Xplane11 and P3Dv4 have been my CFI when I cannot make it to the field, such as my recent accident where I was run over by an SUV and I am still recovering from the PTSD and trauma and memory of being hit with such force, more than any in my life, it made my appendicitis surgery look easy in comparison. 

But it also helped me feel strong, safe, and protected by a force I simply call my higher power, a force that I feel protects all of us in our darkest times, and when we fly especially, a force that tells us that we will never be alone, that's the way I feel after a ground accident, since I have never been involved in one in the air other than severe turbulence a few times.

John

• Like 6