Sign in to follow this  
mac44

2080ti upgrade and XP11

Just about to upgrade my GPU from a 980ti to 2080ti:

Just wondering:

1)What do I need to tweak to get the best XP11 performance from the new setup? - someone suggested I should delete my shaders - if yes whats the best way to do this?

2)Also if anyone's done this upgrade what's the best way to do it ? - have been told to either use software called DDU to firstly delete the drivers then swap over the cards then install the new drivers? or just to install the new drivers view nvidia experience program that I use to run all my driver updates?

Any help appreciated.....

Any time I've changed/upgraded cards - go to the Nvidia driver site, download the latest (whl) for the card and it uninstalls/overwrites what was in there - no problems.  Not that long ago the uninstall/cleanup of an old driver was serious business but Nvidia seems to have  found the answer.

Echoing @olderndirt

I did the exact same upgrade.  980ti to 2080ti.  Just take out the old card.  Put in the new one.  Download the new drivers and let the nvidia GEFORCE software do a clean install.  

You'll also find you get much lower temps with the 2080ti.  I went from 70°C+ in the 980ti to around 38°C in the 2080ti.

...and don´t expect a miracle in frame rates. You will find in most upgrades of the graphics card that your frame rate stays exactly the same...at first glance. This is because X-Plane is mostly bottlenecked at the CPU.

The benefit of a new graphics card is being able to run a higher screen resolution (i.e.4k) and texture quality without exceeding your VRAM limit and being able to use better anti-aliasing options. Thats it - unless you ran a really old crappy card before.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Janov said:

is mostly bottlenecked at the CPU.

Yes, in fact, after extensive testing it appears that the CPU AND RAM speed has the most effect on FPS once you already have a fast video card.

I used to run DDR3 1300mHz CL9 RAM on my 4790K / 1080ti system.  The general wisdom was that RAM speed didn't make a huge difference. But when I updated just the RAM to 2400 CL9 and enabled XMP, my framerate went up by 30%.

It seems that the speed at which the CPU can access mass amounts of data can be the bottleneck in memory intensive flightsims like P3D, and I assume the same can be said of X-Plane.

Edited by smoothchat
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

I honestly found that a 1070 FTW or 1070ti was more than enough, even in 4k, along with my i7 8700 cpu for right now and sold my 1080ti and stepped back to one.

Until the higher end GPU's are of more use in X-Plane and we aren't so bound to CPU's, I'm personally just not investing in more than I need.

I really only use X-Plane though - I don't PC game otherwise generally.

• Upvote 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

X-Plane's CPU+RAM dependency is why my desktop's i5 4670K @ 4.1 GHz and PC2400 RAM can still keep up pretty nicely. I think my 6GB GTX1060 is rather bored as well.

My laptop fares almost as well (i7 6700HQ, PC2133 RAM), but the GTX960M is definitely a bottleneck when it comes to anti-aliasing and texture resolution.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

19 hours ago, GoranM said:

Echoing @olderndirt

I did the exact same upgrade.  980ti to 2080ti.  Just take out the old card.  Put in the new one.  Download the new drivers and let the nvidia GEFORCE software do a clean install.  

You'll also find you get much lower temps with the 2080ti.  I went from 70°C+ in the 980ti to around 38°C in the 2080ti.

thanks for the advise.

So basically forget the DDU software and also going via nvidia GeForce experience software just swap the card out and run the latest driver .exe which will install over the top - when you say do a "clean install" is this an actual option when you try and install the new drivers?

17 hours ago, Janov said:

...and don´t expect a miracle in frame rates. You will find in most upgrades of the graphics card that your frame rate stays exactly the same...at first glance. This is because X-Plane is mostly bottlenecked at the CPU.

The benefit of a new graphics card is being able to run a higher screen resolution (i.e.4k) and texture quality without exceeding your VRAM limit and being able to use better anti-aliasing options. Thats it - unless you ran a really old crappy card before.

Cheers, Jan

thanks for the advise.

not sure what to expect however the 980ti's were not cutting it anymore - main reason for upgrading (will also be doubling the memory to 32gb) is I do a lot of flying (including XP11) and games in VR and you really need more than 980's for this - also use a 4k panel for non-VR (the new valve index headset also requires 970 as a minimum).

Also can some one advise on how and where I can find the X Plane 11 shaders - was advised that for best result when you upgrade a GPU these need to be deleted/reinstalled?

Edited by mac44

4 hours ago, mac44 said:

Also can some one advise on how and where I can find the X Plane 11 shaders - was advised that for best result when you upgrade a GPU these need to be deleted/reinstalled?

X-Plane 11\Output\shadercache

8 hours ago, mac44 said:

thanks for the advise.

So basically forget the DDU software and also going via nvidia GeForce experience software just swap the card out and run the latest driver .exe which will install over the top - when you say do a "clean install" is this an actual option when you try and install the new drivers?

It'll ask you, via 2 buttons, whether you want to reinstall over old drivers or do a clean install.  You have to choose 1 or the other for the install to begin.  I always choose clean install.