Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Multiplayer...oh my!

After a lot of fiddling and cursing, my buddy introduced me to multiplayer this weekend. Flying the Harrier in the Caucasus map, using Discord for comms, all I can say is wow! What a fantastic experience. It's the first time, for a long time, that I have experienced some real excitement in 12 years of simming! This is certainly a steep learning curve for me, but it's proving very worthwhile 😃

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Nice! YEah, it is so much fun to share the hobby while actually doing it :). Enjoy!

Victor Roos

If you want some excitement in single player as well, I really recommend VAICOM plugin.

Made radio comms so much better and no using the silly menu system.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:46 PM, GHarrall said:

If you want some excitement in single player as well, I really recommend VAICOM plugin.

Made radio comms so much better and no using the silly menu system.

Cheers Glenn

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

On 7/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, Rockliffe said:

Cheers Glenn

Hey Howard my Friend, I don't use that word willy nilly like some.

2 Weeks ago I installed DCS not been there for 7-8 years. Did a lot of homework and bought the AV-8B Harrier. I will buy the F-14B also at some point.

The last 2 weeks I've spent doing basic stuff. Carrier landing, A2A refuelling. Nav stuff not even fired a weapon yet or got close, My OCD wants to perfect landing and A2A refuelling. 

The learning curve and the sense of achievement is fantastic.

I would love to do some multiplayer/dicord with you Howard, that would be really cool after all these years of forum chat with you. 

I need more work (OCD with aircraft) and learn the weapons etc but it would be great fun. You have had it a lot longer than be so you must be getting good now.

I bought a new TrackIR with the pro clip for DCS and..

I just bought these to make things better! More for DCS than P3D there amazing, I've been told good rudders are needed with the F-14.

Och!!!!!

You up for some fun when am more tuned in with the Harrier?

David.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I haven't touched P3D in months. Honestly, DCS has me hooked at this point with the bonus that I'm never really worrying about performance. 🙂

All my time is in the A10C, Hornet, Harrier and Tomcat. I feel bad but I really haven't put much time into the Tomcat yet and now the F16 is on the near horizon.....

1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

I haven't touched P3D in months. Honestly, DCS has me hooked at this point with the bonus that I'm never really worrying about performance. 🙂

Ditto. The strange thing about DCS, for me anyway, it's about flying, not obsessing about scenery. My DCS is all about formation aerobatics online. So rewarding when it's going well.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

All my time is in the A10C, Hornet, Harrier and Tomcat. I feel bad but I really haven't put much time into the Tomcat yet and now the F16 is on the near horizon.....

Glenn, what you say is very true, the last time I put time into DCS was the A10C but at the time did not have TrackIR, personly I think it's impossible to sim in DCS without it. Am loving learning the Harrier and very much look forward to the F-14 the back seat Jester is fantastic. The Hornet looks amazing but I think I would love the F-14 and Jester more, but will stay on the harrier till I get good. Thanks for your link to the voice addon it looks great Glenn.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Ditto. The strange thing about DCS, for me anyway, it's about flying, not obsessing about scenery. My DCS is all about formation aerobatics online. So rewarding when it's going well.

Could not agree more Ron, The flying is far more challenging, I've just started to get the knack of A2A refueling in the Harrier, it's hard as the probe is out of sight. Once locked on, flying perfectly with the tanker a very skillful and rewarding. I got off my chair and punched the air the first time I did it.

" formation aerobatics online" sounds amazing. Am a bit fearful of my next FSL flight being boring as watching grass grow, something I never thought I would think. But DCS is "taking my breath away"...O wait...F-14..tom cruise...I love the harrier but cannot wait to get into the F-14, if am still hooked then the F-18 Hornet or to bring back memories of buying Falcon 4 on release with that stunning book that came with it. The F-16...

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Glenn, what you say is very true, the last time I put time into DCS was the A10C but at the time did not have TrackIR, personly I think it's impossible to sim in DCS without it. Am loving learning the Harrier and very much look forward to the F-14 the back seat Jester is fantastic. The Hornet looks amazing but I think I would love the F-14 and Jester more, but will stay on the harrier till I get good. Thanks for your link to the voice addon it looks great Glenn.

Could not agree more Ron, The flying is far more challenging, I've just started to get the knack of A2A refueling in the Harrier, it's hard as the probe is out of sight. Once locked on, flying perfectly with the tanker a very skillful and rewarding. I got off my chair and punched the air the first time I did it.

" formation aerobatics online" sounds amazing. Am a bit fearful of my next FSL flight being boring as watching grass grow, something I never thought I would think. But DCS is "taking my breath away"...O wait...F-14..tom cruise...I love the harrier but cannot wait to get into the F-14, if am still hooked then the F-18 Hornet or to bring back memories of buying Falcon 4 on release with that stunning book that came with it. The F-16...

Track IR is really a must in DCS (or a newer VR headset which is even better)

If you get good with the harrier, the step to the Hornet is really easy (and vice versa minus the VTOL bit) because the cockpit layouts are pretty similar. I love the F14 but have to say if it was between that and the Hornet I would pick the Hornet every time. if you like 'old school' analog aircraft then the Tomcat may be a better fit.

I cant recommend VAICOM enough. It truly is a real winner in terms of an addon.

I don't really do multiplayer much. Perhaps some of us off this thread could get together?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Perhaps some of us off this thread could get together?

I don't care for all these new fangled super-duper fast flying computers. Give me something with a whirly bit on the front. Having said that, I am partial to F87, L-39, C101EB and on occasions, a MiG-15bis. All disarmed of course.

4 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I've just started to get the knack of A2A refueling in the Harrier, it's hard as the probe is out of sight. Once locked on, flying perfectly with the tanker a very skillful and rewarding. I got off my chair and punched the air the first time I did it.

My hat's off to you. That's formation flying with bells on.

Can you wreck the tanker if you get it horribly wrong?

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

My hat's off to you. That's formation flying with bells on.

Can you wreck the tanker if you get it horribly wrong?

I don’t Know Ron, at first I just practiced getting close, watched a few tutorials and started getting closer. But am sure you will have a midair blow up if you hit it.

Tonight I did it first go, got lucky! once full you slide back and across to the tankers right wing, I stayed in very close formation for 5 mins then RTB.

I also practice vertical take off at an airport, take off and stay within 50-100 feet and taxi around the airport using all the taxi ways etc, some turns are 90 degrees some easy. At the moment my hight can go between 50-100. 90 degree turns are getting better but my target is to stay between 50-75 feet and make every turn perfect. That’s my OCD. I love the challenge. Setting myself targets.

The last two weeks have been nothing but landing were I pre target on the carrier, A2A refuelling and the airport taxi in hover. Another week or two and hopefully I will be happy. 

Then it’s Air to ground, then missions, then campaign. Then F-14/F-18 time.

The 14 looks so much fun and love the 18 for being modern.

But all that a side if you guys want some fun, am well up for anything. All you guys have been around a long time 🙂 would be great fun to do some flying.

You're making me want to go and buy a Harrier! I run a server called 'Formation Practice. Don't Shoot!' and I use Teamspeak, "ts3.digitalthemepark.com" look for the Black Stallions room. I put the server up at about 1600BST. If we talk we can sort something out. I'm generally on TS about the same time.

I have to relate a story of my visit to Aerobatics Online server this evening.

I latch on to a bunch of guys flying formation in Mustangs. I join them in my Spitfire. All is going well until an F-86 joins the formation. Mmm, OK, he is then joined by something with twin vertical stabilisers, an F-something. They are both jockeying for the left wing posistion. The inevitable happens and they collide. Boooom! :biggrin:

The formation carries on, unscathed. However, the guy on the right wing is desperate to show us how good he is and is really, I mean, really close to the leader. I thought I'll keep an eye out for this guy because he WILL hit the leader. Dang! I love being right! He went down in flames.

Online flying is the biz!

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, Nyxx said:

Hey Howard my Friend, I don't use that word willy nilly like some.

2 Weeks ago I installed DCS not been there for 7-8 years. Did a lot of homework and bought the AV-8B Harrier. I will buy the F-14B also at some point.

The last 2 weeks I've spent doing basic stuff. Carrier landing, A2A refuelling. Nav stuff not even fired a weapon yet or got close, My OCD wants to perfect landing and A2A refuelling. 

The learning curve and the sense of achievement is fantastic.

I would love to do some multiplayer/dicord with you Howard, that would be really cool after all these years of forum chat with you. 

I need more work (OCD with aircraft) and learn the weapons etc but it would be great fun. You have had it a lot longer than be so you must be getting good now.

I bought a new TrackIR with the pro clip for DCS and..

I just bought these to make things better! More for DCS than P3D there amazing, I've been told good rudders are needed with the F-14.

Och!!!!!

You up for some fun when am more tuned in with the Harrier?

David.

Hi Dave, yeah, a great suggestioon for multiplayer. I've been flying the Harrier for about three months now and I have to say it is a steep learning curve. Into weapons delivery at the moment and this I am finding difficult. I have a buddy who has been teaching me, without him I really don't think I could be where I am today. VTOL I've managed to get to grips with, but only since buying myself a Thrustamster Warthog, after selling my original one about three years ago! I've been using some crappy £40 plastic nonsense for a while and it has been all but impossible to fly with. I agree with Ron about the scenery thing, sure, it really isn't an issue I feel, as it's more about the actual flying, missions, weapons delivery etc. where with P3D I guess a lot of time is soaking up the scenery.

Howard

I may well get the Harrier on the next sale.

It occurred to me that the best fun is had learning to tame 'beasts'. You jet jockeys won't know it, it's a 1935ish Russian fighter, the Polikarpov I-16. An absolute pig to take off and land but it makes you feel pretty smug when you eventually nail it.