Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

P3D v4 recommended PC specs?

My system is 6 years old now so I can't give you performance figures for the above spec I posted. P3D does make better use of multicore vs FSX, but even the latest blockbsuter games often struggle to max more than 4 cores/threads and the latest i5 already has 6 cores, so no point spending extra on a i7 or i9 unless you're doing video editing or mega multitasking.

On my old rig I am getting 20+ fps most of the time with the sliders fairly far right, my settings and test scenario are at https://snag.gy/baZD49.jpg

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

19 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

My system is 6 years old now so I can't give you performance figures for the above spec I posted. P3D does make better use of multicore vs FSX, but even the latest blockbsuter games often struggle to max more than 4 and the latest i5 already has 6 cores, so no point spending extra on a i7 or i9 unless you're doing video editing or mega multitasking.

On my old rig I am getting 20+ fps most of the time with the sliders fairly far right, my settings and test scenario are at https://snag.gy/baZD49.jpg

Thanks so much. New FS PC, here I come!

If you can spend more I would go for an 8GB RTX2070 graphics card. P3D can chew through graphics memory at high settings.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

21 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I really have to bite my tongue here.  But why is it a few select people on these forums feel the need to constantly attack others opinions?  If you don't have anything constructive to add don't bother posting at all.  I'm seeing this way to often lately.  So go ahead and offer your advice if your so smart.  I cant wait so I can openly bash your opinion.

21 hours ago, WilliamS said:

Matt, I hate to sound like a moderator here. I share your anger in that useless contribution, but last time I asked a question about P3D, it ended in the topic being closed because there was a fight about which simulator was better. I know this isn't the same thing, but...

What's not constructive or "useless" about a post saying that the OP doesn't have to splash spend X amount on a GPU in order to run P3D acceptably? He's not far off my own spec with what he has right now, and I'm happy with how P3D runs.

7 minutes ago, Holdit said:

What's not constructive or "useless" about a post saying that the OP doesn't have to splash spend X amount on a GPU in order to run P3D acceptably? He's not far off my own spec with what he has right now, and I'm happy with how P3D runs.

Its just irritating. Why does someone always have to pick holes in a question?!

7 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

Its just irritating. Why does someone always have to pick holes in a question?!

I thought trying to save you some money was the why.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Because the post in question had no substance whatsoever.  It is rather annoying anytime someone posts there is always that "one guy" that attempts to discredit another members opinion.  If someone does not agree with my opinion that's perfectly fine but please at least make an attempt to explain your reasoning.   

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, Holdit said:

I thought trying to save you some money was the why.

Everyone's definition of a "budget" is different.  I try and make recommendations that can possibly save people money in the long run.  Spend a little extra now or risk spending a lot more in the near future because you are not satisfied with your performance.  P3D V4 requires a "stout" GPU to take advantage of dynamic lighting, shadows, heavy weather, and night flying.  It is was my opinion that a RTX2070 would be the cheapest GPU he could purchase now and not leave him disappointed with his purchase. 

Matt Wilson

30 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Because the post in question had no substance whatsoever.  It is rather annoying anytime someone posts there is always that "one guy" that attempts to discredit another members opinion.  If someone does not agree with my opinion that's perfectly fine but please at least make an attempt to explain your reasoning.   

He did. He said that in his opinion a budget spec isn't a budget spec if it includes a $700+ graphics card. That seems clear enough to me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

It is was my opinion that a RTX2070 would be the cheapest GPU he could purchase now and not leave him disappointed with his purchase. 

Matt, don't collapse through shock but I agree with your recommendation of the 2070. I have just been comparing it to the 2080 but that is around £250 more expensive and I would say looking at these comparisons it's not worth it. Better to have the 2070 and then jump to a 2080Ti or faster when funds permit.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080/4029vs4026

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, ckyliu said:

My system is 6 years old now so I can't give you performance figures for the above spec I posted. P3D does make better use of multicore vs FSX, but even the latest blockbsuter games often struggle to max more than 4 cores/threads and the latest i5 already has 6 cores, so no point spending extra on a i7 or i9 unless you're doing video editing or mega multitasking.

P3D has no problems taking advantage of a 8 core CPU.  I experienced faster load times, better scenery rendering, and less mesh "shifting", when I upgraded from a 9600K to a 9700K. 

Matt Wilson

5 minutes ago, Holdit said:

He did. He said that in his opinion a budget spec isn't a budget spec if it includes a $700+ graphics card. That seems clear enough to me.

A RTX2070 can be purchased for $500. 

Matt Wilson

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Matt, don't collapse through shock but I agree with your recommendation of the 2070. I have just been comparing it to the 2080 but that is around £250 more expensive and I would say looking at these comparisons it's not worth it. Better to have the 2070 and then jump to a 2080Ti or faster when funds permit.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080/4029vs4026

Haha I did get a little light headed Ray. That's twice we have agreed in one week!   

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather