Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

P3D v4 recommended PC specs?

24 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

Thank you.

nvm

Edited by awf

André

@WilliamS, looking through your list I agree with Matt that you should get water cooling. Temps get pretty high with overclocking. Consider the Corsair H100 options. They’re all sealed units. You don’t need to top them up.

Just check the clock speeds of the various 2070 cards. Some may be faster but EVGA is a good make.

Your 500Gb SSD is cutting it a bit fine. By the time you’ve installed the OS that space will not be as much as you would like. Consider a 1Tb SSD.

No mention of which OS. I’d recommend Windows 10 Pro as it gives you more control over updates.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@WilliamS, looking through your list I agree with Matt that you should get water cooling. Temps get pretty high with overclocking. Consider the Corsair H100 options. They’re all sealed units. You don’t need to top them up.

Just check the clock speeds of the various 2070 cards. Some may be faster but EVGA is a good make.

Your 500Gb SSD is cutting it a bit fine. By the time you’ve installed the OS that space will not be as much as you would like. Consider a 1Tb SSD.

No mention of which OS. I’d recommend Windows 10 Pro as it gives you more control over updates.

Ok. Are you sure about EVGA? Would it not be better to buy a Gigabyte one for my proposed motherboard (also, the GB one is cheaper than the others)? Also, I'm not sure about a 1TB SSD, as once you hit that kind of size, the price elevates quickly. Would it not be better to install Windows on the HDD and reserve the SSD for P3D?

5 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

Ok. Are you sure about EVGA? Would it not be better to buy a Gigabyte one for my proposed motherboard (also, the GB one is cheaper than the others)? Also, I'm not sure about a 1TB SSD, as once you hit that kind of size, the price elevates quickly. Would it not be better to install Windows on the HDD and reserve the SSD for P3D?

Ray's EVGA recommendation is a good one.  I've had MSI, EVGA, PNY, and Gigabyte.  Never had a single issue with any one of them.  But if I did have issues EVGA's customer service would probably serve you best.

Matt Wilson

14 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

OK. What did Ray mean by this?

@WilliamS, don’t worry about mixing makes. It’s the chipset that matters and that remains the same. The only difference between makes tends to be clock speeds and perhaps warranty period.

Compare 1Tb versus 500Gb. Go with what is cheaper for total of 1Tb. SSDs are light so weight is not an issue. They are blindingly fast compared to HDD. If 2 500Gb SSDs are cheaper than the 1Tb go with those. OS on one, P3D on the other. But you can still use the OS one for P3D stuff.

Don’t install Windows to a HDD. Performance will be awful.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

OK. What did Ray mean by this?

The clock speed can be varied by the manufacturer. They’re not always the same speed. You need to read the tech spec for each card and go with the fastest but also consider the manufacturer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

54 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I wish people would read the attached notes at https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/553082-p3d-v4-recommended-pc-specs/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3995572 I specifically say that if you have the budget you should go entirely SSD. I also say you should go up from a RTX2060 to an RTX2070 if you can afford it.

Just remember though there isn't a bottomless pile of cash, it's £1100 as on the attached spec. You upgrade to an RTX2070 (+£120), a 1TB SSD (+£55) and a water cooler (£+28 or more) and suddenly it's £1330. And the water cooler and SSD aren't going to improve framerates much.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

5 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I also say you should go up from a RTX2060 to an RTX2070 if you can afford it.

A RTX2070 was recommended way before you came along.

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

A RTX2070 was recommended way before you came along.

Matt, don't you think that's kind of irrelevant? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I wish people would read the attached notes at https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/553082-p3d-v4-recommended-pc-specs/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3995572 I specifically say that if you have the budget you should go entirely SSD. I also say you should go up from a RTX2060 to an RTX2070 if you can afford it.

Just remember though there isn't a bottomless pile of cash, it's £1100 as on the attached spec. You upgrade to an RTX2070 (+£120), a 1TB SSD (+£55) and a water cooler (£+28 or more) and suddenly it's £1330. And the water cooler and SSD aren't going to improve framerates much.

If by people you mean me there have been too many posts in a short time to recall everything that has been said. I'm sure William can be flexible on the final price.

SSDs won't change fps at all. What they do affect is loading time and improve it by a considerable degree. The only requirement for a HDD is for downloads and user documents that don't need the speed P3D requires. The items recommended are important to system longevity especially the Corsair cooling.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I agree with Ray. Except that I don't want my new PC to catch fire, then destroy itself and my house. Also, although an SSD won't improve frames in-game, it will improve loading times etc, which contributes to a much smoother, more enjoyable flight simming session. I think I probably would add on an RTX2070, a 1TB SSD, and water cooling, as the extra £200 is really worth what you're adding, and on the grand scheme of things, its not that much (compared to everything else). Also, the recommended requirements for p3d do say 8GB graphics card.

Edited by WilliamS

13 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

And the water cooler and SSD aren't going to improve framerates much.

Why limit your overclock capability by using air cooling?  Plus the CPU will run cooler overall and makes for a much cleaner setup inside the case.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

Also, another important point that hasn't been covered yet is would any of you recommend running at 2K or just sticking to Full HD. On my current (24") monitor, I haven't ever had problems reading small text on the PMDG 737 in FSX.

6 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

Also, another important point that hasn't been covered yet is would any of you recommend running at 2K or just sticking to Full HD. On my current (24") monitor, I haven't ever had problems reading small text on the PMDG 737 in FSX.

I've been at 4K for sometime now but it all depends what size screen you plan on using.  The way I see it is below 28 inch go for 1440P, larger then 28 inch go for 4K.  I couldn't imagine simming at 1080P.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson