Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

P3D v4 recommended PC specs?

There's not really any overwhelming reason in relation to P3D, just 10 series aren't really available new any more. I'd opt for a used 1070 or 1080 myself, although there is a risk they may have been driven hard for bitcoin mining.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

36 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the help in choosing a setup. I have one more question regarding the GPU. I have also consulted my friend (who is extemely PC-savvy), who said that using an RTX graphics card would not be worth the extra several hundred pounds, as only a handful of games support the ray-tracing that it offers. What is the advantage of a 20- card with P3D?

What I’m about to say is purely speculation but I believe there is something in the RTX line of GPU’s architecture that improves performance beyond what the benchmarks show.  For example let’s compare the 1080ti and the 2080ti.  I have used a single 1080ti, 2x1080ti SLI, and a 2080ti.  Most benchmarks show the 2080ti performing roughly 30% faster then the 1080ti.  Now my testing was nothing scientific but my results make me believe the difference in P3D is more like a 40-45% improvement.  This is based monitoring the usage % in task manager between the two cards under the same heavy load scenario.  I do know for a fact that a single 2080ti will outperform 2x1080ti SLI in P3D as well.  Just something to chew on but I think it is definitely worth buying a 2000 series card over the 1000 series.

Matt Wilson

21 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

But why a 2070 over a 1070?

The 2070 will be 30-35% faster.  One stat that is overlooked Is there is about a 80% improvement in multi rendering between the two cards.  

Matt Wilson

OK. Definitely buying a 2070. I've never built a PC before, so to gain experience, I'm building a *rubbish* one for my mother!

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

This is based monitoring the usage % in task manager between the two cards under the same heavy load scenario. 

So you've not seen any improvement on screen, just the card is under less load?

In price terms you'd be comparing a RTX2060 to a GTX1070. And an RTX2070 to a GTX1080. Then it's not so clear cut how much bang you get for your buck.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 hours ago, ckyliu said:

So you've not seen any improvement on screen, just the card is under less load?

In price terms you'd be comparing a RTX2060 to a GTX1070. And an RTX2070 to a GTX1080. Then it's not so clear cut how much bang you get for your buck.

Of course I saw an on screen improvement.  I would not make a recommendation if I didn’t.  From what my eyes tell me the 40-45% improvement is correct.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson