Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Overclocking CPU: How much FPS will I gain?

56 minutes ago, Shomron said:

With turbo boost functionality is it correct to assume my CPU (I have the same as yours) is running at 4.4 Ghz when running P3D?

In other words I want to make sure I am achieving the maximum performance with this CPU w/o overclocking otherwise I will be motivated to overclock it as it will be considered going over the base frequency of 4.0 Ghz.

Unless something has changed recently, turbo boost activates for less cores.

If I recall correctly for the 4790k its 2 cores at 4.2ghz or 1 core at 4.4ghz.

If all 4 cores are being stressed it won't boost over the base 4ghz

Overclocking to 4.4ghz will give you all 4 cores at 4.4ghz

Edited by itsjase
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

It's not on at present, but I think it was at 1.39 or 1.395. I can check tomorrow and correct if not. Serious cooling though -- an external Koolance unit which has to be on for 15 minutes before powering up the PC else it will crash immediately it gets into Windows. And the room is air conditionaed to kee humidity steady to avoid condensation.

Temperature of the CPU even under really heavy loads is never more than 36C, and it is generaly around the 29 mark.

And that's with the cache at 5.0 GHz. the memory, 4500 MHz sticks, is down at 3600 MHz though, for increased stability.

A certain Rob built it and tuned it for me. Did a really good job. But he doesn't want to make a habit of it!

Pete

thats the drawback with chillers , hope that i can get this to work with AIO cooler should not upgrade to the 9900k but find a very good chip no i wait for 2 x 2080TI with samsung mems and a NV link, bridge.

a single 2080TI is not as good as my 2X1080TI , even as this card is insane fast Galax 2080TI HOF OC Lab it boost 2045 default. 

did a short vid with my settings , the capture card is not good it only capture 1920 at 30hz

46 minutes ago, itsjase said:

Unless something has changed recently, turbo boost activates for less cores.

If I recall correctly for the 4790k its 2 cores at 4.2ghz or 1 core at 4.4ghz.

If all 4 cores are being stressed it won't boost over the base 4ghz

Overclocking to 4.4ghz will give you all 4 cores at 4.4ghz

mmmm so I can assume I am not getting more than 4.2 Ghz since P3D uses up at least 2 cores

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

open task manager and click on performance then CPU, it should show each core's usage and also the current speed it's running at.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:10 AM, vin747 said:

problem is my monitor is 60hz and don't think it has gsync.. so i can't lock it at 60.. locking it at 25 doesn't give me best perf overall but leaving it unlimited seems to give highest fps.. 

this monitor issue is causing me the sudden drops in fps, jerky spikes, etc during final approach.. it's more pronounced in p3d than xp11 as far as i remember.. of course, AFS2 is the best in this regard.. i can lock it at 60 or 100 and forget about it!

Try using (freeware) RTSS and selecting Scanline sync X/2 mode (also set the zero entry next to it to a non-zero value).

That will effectively lock your 60 Hz monitor to 30 fps and give you very fluid flight..

Bert

I was able to claw back about 5 to 8 FPS by turning off AI traffic on final and dialing down reflections from high to low.. this is a temporary fix until P3D v5 comes out.. 

In p3d v4, they solved the memory problem by going to 64 bit.. In p3d v5, i hope they will solve the performance problem.. AFS2 has already solved that part of the equation and is now with vulkan.. XP11 is going to vulkan big time this year.. p3d has to do something to solve the performance problem.. AFS2 has already shown that you can get 100+ FPS and pretty quick load times with a modern engine.. keeping fingers crossed for Orlando convention.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

5 hours ago, westman said:

thats the drawback with chillers

What drawback? Sorry,  don't understand. i'm very (VERY) pleased with my system.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

On 4/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, vin747 said:

for smoothness, i think i need to be at or above 25 fps.. when its down to 20 or teens, i can see scenery move frame by frame.. 25 and above generally gives me fluid feel.. 

problem is my monitor is 60hz and don't think it has gsync.. so i can't lock it at 60.. locking it at 25 doesn't give me best perf overall but leaving it unlimited seems to give highest fps.. 

this monitor issue is causing me the sudden drops in fps, jerky spikes, etc during final approach.. it's more pronounced in p3d than xp11 as far as i remember.. of course, AFS2 is the best in this regard.. i can lock it at 60 or 100 and forget about it!

I can deal with the lower average FPS by dialing down the settings.. I'm usually very modest with settings even though i have a decent rig.. i'm more interested in fluidity than eye candy.. so don't need to overclock then.. 

but the spikes and drops in fps cannot be solved even by overclocking.. i see some youtube streamers with 5 gigs cpus and even they encounter fps dropping momentarily to 15 and then back to 30 on final approach.. this is something LM has to fix or we need to get gsync monitors.. 

AFS2 does not simulate the whole world, AI Traffic, ATC, etc. etc.  Did afs2 ever get moving water yet?

Edited by Arthur42417
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

What drawback? Sorry,  don't understand. i'm very (VERY) pleased with my system.

Pete

you should be very very pleased with your system, what i meant with drawback the 15 min start time and always check the humidity if you is in 2-5C range.

I have 2 chillers one that is 5000W and a small 2500w planing to use the small for the 9900k system when testing this cpu it was only 500mhz diff 5.6 10C wather temp with chiller or 5.5 with AIO.

its more diference for the gpu.s the 2080Ti with AIO boost 2145-2160 at 40C during load and with chiller 2265mhz 10C watertemp gpu voltage 1.2v.

My eng is very very bad it was not any critic at all

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try using (freeware) RTSS and selecting Scanline sync X/2 mode (also set the zero entry next to it to a non-zero value).

That will effectively lock your 60 Hz monitor to 30 fps and give you very fluid flight..

Interesting,

Do I need to alter any p3d entries for this?

Simon

Simon

15 minutes ago, simon747 said:

Interesting,

Do I need to alter any p3d entries for this?

Simon

No, in P3D,  set FPS to unlimited and Vsync to OFF.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, in P3D,  set FPS to unlimited and Vsync to OFF.

Cheers.  Will try this and report back.

Simon

Simon

3 hours ago, westman said:

you should be very very pleased with your system, what i meant with drawback the 15 min start time and always check the humidity if you is in 2-5C range.

Oh, I see, But that's only on the first switch-on of the day, because of it being all night uncooled.

On the plus side it now takes only 72 seconds to load up P3D4 to its "ready to fly" state at my default airport when it used to take nearly 10 minutes! 😉  Imust admit I don't understand how that's so much improved, with the same huge number of scenery layers and also increased settings.

The room temperature never gets lower than 15C (well insulated house), and humidity is generally lower than 60%, more usually 45-50% The air conditioning (that room only), switched on at the same time as the cooler, achieves 45% at 21C (its set temperature) pretty quickly, so I can afford the coolant running at 12-15C safely. This is what keeps the CPU down to a max of 36C but more usually about 29C.

I'm afraid the rest of your post is way over my head. I don't really know about all this stuff.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

The temperature of your CPU never gets higher than 36C, even under load? That's amazing.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That is impressive, but way beyond what a normal user can achieve with normal components, just to face the reality...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS