vin747

Overclocking CPU: How much FPS will I gain?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, simon747 said:

 

Interesting,

Do I need to alter any p3d entries for this?

Simon

No, in P3D,  set FPS to unlimited and Vsync to OFF.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, in P3D,  set FPS to unlimited and Vsync to OFF.

Cheers.  Will try this and report back.

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, westman said:

you should be very very pleased with your system, what i meant with drawback the 15 min start time and always check the humidity if you is in 2-5C range.

Oh, I see, But that's only on the first switch-on of the day, because of it being all night uncooled.

On the plus side it now takes only 72 seconds to load up P3D4 to its "ready to fly" state at my default airport when it used to take nearly 10 minutes! 😉  Imust admit I don't understand how that's so much improved, with the same huge number of scenery layers and also increased settings.

The room temperature never gets lower than 15C (well insulated house), and humidity is generally lower than 60%, more usually 45-50% The air conditioning (that room only), switched on at the same time as the cooler, achieves 45% at 21C (its set temperature) pretty quickly, so I can afford the coolant running at 12-15C safely. This is what keeps the CPU down to a max of 36C but more usually about 29C.

I'm afraid the rest of your post is way over my head. I don't really know about all this stuff.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The temperature of your CPU never gets higher than 36C, even under load? That's amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is impressive, but way beyond what a normal user can achieve with normal components, just to face the reality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, w6kd said:

If clock speed didn't make a difference, it wouldn't make much sense for any of us to upgrade to anything beyond a 10-year old Sandy Bridge machine. 

Haha, in that case I have a BIG surprise for you... I have build a 2600K Sandy Bridge in 2011 with 8 Gb RAM 1600Mhz and a GTX 580 and run the machine since then on 5.0 Ghz. Last Oktober I replaced the 580 for a GTX 1060 6Gb and also upgraded the RAM to 16Gb and guess what... P3DV4x running at 30fps with all the ORBX stuff loaded and High settings. Also XPlane11 is running at high settings and I experimented in VR with Aerofly running at ultra high settings so.... I ditched my Samsung VR Odyssey due to bad resolution and Screen Door Effect but not the performance.

So, my advice.. Overclock your system and collect your self a CPU Watercooler ( I have a cheap Antec watercooler and hold my Sandy Bridge 2600K on 5 Ghz at 55 degrees Celsius)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, w6kd said:

I still have a PC with a 4790K, which is running nice and stable overclocked to 4.7 GHz...those Devil's Canyon CPUs are actually pretty easy to overclock.  All that's needed is a good CPU cooler and a little time--I think it's worth the time and expense.

If clock speed didn't make a difference, it wouldn't make much sense for any of us to upgrade to anything beyond a 10-year old Sandy Bridge machine.  Of course it makes a difference...how much will depend on the program and how it's configured.

Regards

I have one 4790k mostly for a reference, if i rember right the diff in IPC was 18% Sandy to Haswell , had a good 2700K at 5.4ghz that was equal to the 4770k-4790k at 4.6ghz in FSX.

comparing a 5,4ghz sandy 2700k to the latest 8700 8060 9700 99000 9600 they outperfom the sandy with less then 4ghz clockspeed  a 5ghz sandy= 3.5ghz coffe L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 11:20 AM, w6kd said:

I still have a PC with a 4790K, which is running nice and stable overclocked to 4.7 GHz...those Devil's Canyon CPUs are actually pretty easy to overclock.  All that's needed is a good CPU cooler and a little time--I think it's worth the time and expense.

Would you share with me the OC settings you used? My specs below and I have this air cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

@4.5GHZ with 1.25v it's very stable and cool. When I try 4.7GHZ @1.33v it's hot and not stable. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Would you share with me the OC settings you used? My specs below and I have this air cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

@4.5GHZ with 1.25v it's very stable and cool. When I try 4.7GHZ @1.33v it's hot and not stable. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

My 4790K is set to 1.30v @ 4.7GHz, on water cooling.  I have another tested configuration at 2.48v and 4.6 GHz.  Both configs are HT on.  IMHO, the CoolerMaster 212 is an average to below average CPU cooler...something like a Noctua NH-D15 would have been a better option for clocking at the high end of things.

If you're stable at 4.5, it's probably not worth going to a lot of trouble now to get that last 200 MHz (4.4%).  FWIW, in your next build, go with a very good CPU cooling solution, either one of the better sealed AIO water loops or the Noctua air coolers, and then you'll only be limited by the luck of the chip lottery.  The difference in price between the best off-the-shelf chip coolers and the also-rans isn't very much compared to other performance options in a build.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I was afraid that might be the answer.

Here's an upgrade I'm considering. Is this a better cooler?

Thanks,

Bruce

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($292.11 @ Newegg Business) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($155.98 @ Newegg) 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CPUs aren't all made equal, there's a lot of luck involved. The difference between a good one and not so good one can be quite big.

Ive had a 4690k which ran at 4.6ghz stable with cool temps, I've also had one that wouldn't go higher than 4.1ghz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, itsjase said:

CPUs aren't all made equal, there's a lot of luck involved.

Yes, there is.  But you can buy a cpu from a place that bins their chips to give you a lucky one...like siliconlottery.com.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Frame rates are overrated ;-). It's smoothness you should be aiming for. If it is always smooth, then stop. You've achieved perfection!

If you must concentrate just on frame rates, then let me say if it is at least 20 fps everywhere, with any settings I want, then that's sufficient. If it's smooth even dips below 20 are acceptable.

My 9900K is overclocked (with good cooling) to 5.5GHz, but I'm using P3D4 with 3 projectors and a 210 degree FOV curved screen. Because this necessitates three scenery windows open in P3D, laid down in surround mode, I am lucky to get to 30 fps (my limit) in all areas with most P3D settings at average.  Any performance improvements in P3D will just let me increase some of the settings, hopefully.

Pete

 

Pete, last week I finished a second view pc ( WidevieW setup and completely smooth ).

As my main view pc now has one view less to display the framerate on that pc has gone up by 40% ...

By using FSGRW I also have a good weather program replacement for ASP4 that sync’s clouds nicely over the network.

You might give it a thought ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GSalden said:

You might give it a thought ....

No. I'm happy with this system, and in any case I've no room for any more full sized PCs. I'm also really into having lots of AI at airports and I've not yet seen anything that will sync them sufficiently well that they don't look terrible over the overlap blends. Same really with clouds.

It's probably okay using separate screens with no blending needed, but not on a continuous curved 210 FOV screen. The blend overlaps are both around 20 degrees and anything not perfectly aligned looks dreadful -- and the areas affected are in view through the glareshield.

Pete

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, westman said:

I have one 4790k mostly for a reference, if i rember right the diff in IPC was 18% Sandy to Haswell , had a good 2700K at 5.4ghz that was equal to the 4770k-4790k at 4.6ghz in FSX.

comparing a 5,4ghz sandy 2700k to the latest 8700 8060 9700 99000 9600 they outperfom the sandy with less then 4ghz clockspeed  a 5ghz sandy= 3.5ghz coffe L

Nope: Do a search in YouTube for comparison and benchmarking a 2600K vs 8700i and be surprised. Like I said, I even can do VR with it and you can forget it with a 3.5 coffee lake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, simba_nl said:

Nope: Do a search in YouTube for comparison and benchmarking a 2600K vs 8700i and be surprised. Like I said, I even can do VR with it and you can forget it with a 3.5 coffee 

Give me a link that you think is relevant i check it and coment it if you want.

3weeks ago a did a test , in relevant not gpu bound benches that suite Flightsiming, compared my base 4790k to 8700k 9900k 7920X 7980XE and AMD 1800X.

not know if you only have that Sandy and base your comparison on youtybe videos 

you can read this old tread here at AVSIM think its relevant even today. 

 

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, westman said:

Give me a link that you think is relevant i check it and coment it if you want.

3weeks ago a did a test , in relevant not gpu bound benches that suite Flightsiming, compared my base 4790k to 8700k 9900k 7920X 7980XE and AMD 1800X.

not know if you only have that Sandy and base your comparison on youtybe videos 

you can read this old tread here at AVSIM think its relevant even today. 

 

I'm gonna put my money on Westman here 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, westman said:

Give me a link that you think is relevant i check it and coment it if you want.

3weeks ago a did a test , in relevant not gpu bound benches that suite Flightsiming, compared my base 4790k to 8700k 9900k 7920X 7980XE and AMD 1800X.

not know if you only have that Sandy and base your comparison on youtybe videos 

you can read this old tread here at AVSIM think its relevant even today. 

 

I run recently my 2600K 5.0Ghz rig with the 1060GTX in the "Heaven 4.0" benchmark with Ultra settings in 1080P with 8x AA I collected a score of 89 fps.

For me is Flightsim a better benchmark and as a have stated many, many times here on AVSIM, I collect 30fps in P3DV4 with high settings and all the ORBX candy loaded.

Edited by simba_nl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I'm gonna put my money on Westman here 😛

You Lost... haha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

I run recently my 2600K 5.0Ghz rig with the 1060GTX in the "Heaven 4.0" benchmark with Ultra settings in 1080P with 8x AA I collected a score of 89 fps.

For me is Flightsim a better benchmark and as a have stated many, many times here on AVSIM, I collect 30fps in P3DV4 with high settings and all the ORBX candy loaded.

Not sure how that video supports your case. The 8700k destroys the 2600k in almost every test in that video except for gpu bottlenecked games (not flight sims)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

You Lost... haha

 

NO NO , very easy when you do the tests in GPU bound senarios , then the sim is another ballgame i dont see any simrealeted test there, hook up 2X2080TI and run the tests you see the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, westman said:

NO NO , very easy when you do the tests in GPU bound senarios , then the sim is another ballgame i dont see any simrealeted test there, hook up 2X2080TI and run the tests you see the difference.

Yes. you are a bad loser.... You are sick that I collect 30 fps in P3D with my old 2600K rig and 1060 while you paid over a 1000 dollar for a 2080 whahahaha That's your problem and not mine... Ohh, wait You have 2x 2080i...nearly 4000 Dollar for GPU and now you are very, very sick...

Oh boy, I have said and wrote it many many times here... My Rig is BIGGER and BETTER than yours... Yeah, Right.... at a cost.... haha and 10% gain in performance.... whow...

So, back on topic for the real question, Overclock your system to collect good Flightsim performance with you 1070 GPU unless you want to throw your money under the bus as the most adult boys do here on AVsim.

Edited by simba_nl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, simba_nl said:

Yes. you are a bad loser.... You are sick that I collect 30 fps in P3D with my old 2600K rig and 1060 while you paid over a 1000 dollar for a 2080 whahahaha That's you problem and not mine Whaha.... Loser

 

Ar you jealous , if a 2600k with a 1060 was as powerful as a9900k and 2080TI in the sim i must be stupid that i not keept my 5..4ghz 2700k and keep the 980ti  thas stronger then a 1060.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, itsjase said:

Not sure how that video supports your case. The 8700k destroys the 2600k in almost every test in that video except for gpu bottlenecked games (not flight sims)

It don't but gives a idea, 30fps fluid P3DV4 on a 2600K with a 1060  with all high settings is ALL THAT MATTERS in this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, westman said:

Ar you jealous , if a 2600k with a 1060 was as powerful as a9900k and 2080TI in the sim i must be stupid that i not keept my 5..4ghz 2700k and keep the 980ti  thas stronger then a 1060.

Don't try to turn the tabel.... you can't, 30fps fluid P3DV4 on a 2600K with a 1060  with all high settings is ALL THAT MATTERS in this topic. For the money you have trow to FS to yell taht you have the fastest... the biggest.... Fine to me, I fly real planes for that money...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now