Hi i currently have a  1.5TB hdd hardrive with windows and P3D installed in it. I was looking to get a 1TB samsung SSD. Im looking to use the SSD for P3D V4 only. Do i need to isntall windows on the SSD aswell or can i just install P3D on the SSD by it self and leave windows in the HDD? Any steps and tips or suggestions would be appriciated 🙂  Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Personally, I would buy another ssd, small 256 or 128 gb to install windows onto, and then 1tb for p3d. 

Putting windows install onto ssd, is one of the best improvements you can make to your pc! IMO.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely agree with djbully. However, for the difference in price and based on my own experience, a 128Gb SSD for Windows is a little small. I found mine got pretty full, especially with Windows 10. A 256Gb SSD would be ideal. Although it is not necessary to put P3D and the OS on similar drives, not having your OS on an SSD would be a waste IMO.

If you can afford it, and if your motherboard can accommodate it, do yourself a favour and get a M.2 SSD

You won't notice the performance, but you will notice the price.

Cheers!

I keep Win 10 on a separate 256GB SSD, and spread P3D across a couple of 1TB SSDs.  The only reason I keep the OS on a separate device is to make system backups go fast, as Win 10 updates have done some damage in the past, and I want to keep the ability to do a system disk restore fast and without disturbing the P3D drives.

Having Windows on an SSD will make your boot-ups happen very fast...and it eliminates the need to mess with defragmenting ever again.

Regards

How does an SSD affect performance? I'm thinking of upgrading too, to an SSD. I know there are shorter load times, what else?