Sign in to follow this  

I just got an LG IPS 4K 27UD68 monitor, and it has 2 HDMI ports and 1 Display port.  Honestly, I do not know which I should use for P3d.  I've tried both and I'm still confused which is the best for clarity, black levels, and all the other elements that should be shown for the best flight sim experience.

What is your opinion on this?  I've googled it and there are opinions both ways.  Also, does it make a difference which HDMI port I should use...HDMI 1 or HDMI 2?

Thanks in advance.

Stan

Hi Stan - not an expert by any means but this is pretty detailed in explaining the difference. I came out grasping that (to simplify things somewhat) if you have multiple displays, the displayport is a better option. In the end, if things need to be really broken down as much as these are, I would bet that you or I would not notice much of a difference either way.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdmi-versus-displayport-better-for-gaming,36876.html

Mario Di Lauro

I have 3 monitors,1 on DVI, 1 on HDMI and 1 on DP, and to my eye, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

The only reason I use HDMI it allows me to use my monitor at 30 Hz. I don't think display port runs at that frequency.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

4 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

The only reason I use HDMI it allows me to use my monitor at 30 Hz. I don't think display port runs at that frequency.

Well Peter, DP runs at any frequency.

Stan, your excellent monitor does what your card transfers to him. As you'll never see any difference between DP and HDMI (no matter port 1/2), you should use that port you have the highest quality cable for (and that may make a real difference...). 

Fritz

6 hours ago, Pegaso said:

you should use that port you have the highest quality cable for (and that may make a real difference...). 

I'm sorry but this is one of the biggest myths about digital video cables. Assuming you're using the correct speed standard (high speed), for short distances of less than about 5m, as long as the cable isn't physically damaged the picture quality will be identical irrespective of how "high quality" the cable is. It's digital so you either get the image or you don't - there's no difference in the image quality between a bargain-basement cable or or a super expensive gold plated one. See: https://www.avforums.com/article/do-expensive-hdmi-cables-make-a-difference.10801

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Stan,

Personally, I would go for HDMI. It is much newer, and considerably faster - well suited to a 4K monitor. And no, the port you use doesn't matter at all. I would plug it into HDMI 1, just to add some chronology!

Will

8 minutes ago, WilliamS said:

I would go for HDMI. It is much newer, and considerably faster - well suited to a 4K monitor.

That's only correct if you're talking about HDMI 2.1, otherwise DisplayPort 1.4 is faster: https://uk.pcmag.com/how-to/117669/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-should-i-use-for-my-pc-monitor

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi stan I personally prefer and use display port.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Thanks for all the opinions.   I did a small test in P3d 4.5 over Philadelphia and noticed that the HDMI (2.1) was slightly more crisp and sharp.  In the monitor control menu, you can adjust the black tone, low or high, when using HDMI. You cannot control the black tones using the Display Port.

But frankly, both HDMI and Display Port are quite good on this monitor.  My question looks for an answer that one is "more correct" than the other when considering 4K,  smoothness, or clarity.

I enjoy hearing your expert opinions and answers.

Stan

With HDMI you can use Nvidia control panel to set it up and use the option to use NVidia colour settings, or with a display port cable you may have the option to use Gsync.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg