Sign in to follow this  
stesma54

Why do developers keep avoiding making a good Pilatus Porter?

It's a question I've had for some years. I guess it would be appreciated a lot by simmers. C'mon developers, make a good PC6!!! Simmers community will be very happy!!!

Creative will?    Although the Porter has a passionate following by some, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft.  It would be fun though

I'm not sure why the one produced by/for Aerosoft never made it to market - I believe their were some personality clashes between the developer and the publisher. but that project was almost as old as the aircraft itself.

24 minutes ago, stesma54 said:

It's a question I've had for some years. I guess it would be appreciated a lot by simmers. C'mon developers, make a good PC6!!! Simmers community will be very happy!!!

Good question.  I like the look of the PC6, a great taildragger with bags of power in that tprop in the long nose up front.  I am sure one will be made someday, there are a lot of aircraft I would love to see.  I would love to see someone do a Cessna P210 for instance.  There is the Piper Malibu but a nice high wing, classic pressurized piston would be great to see.  I have seen both the P210 and the Piper  Malibu up close, the latter I have seen taxiing in Casa Grande, AZ at the Copper State airshow that used to be held there, now held in Buckeye AZ.  I have the Malibu Mirage in P3D, great aircraft with wonderful manners, Carenado provides it along with two versions of the Tprop Malibu. 

One thing I look forward to, with two top sims and also Aerofly FS2, are more add-ons over time.  I usually purchase one a month and I alternate add-ons in my Xplane11 and P3DV4.4 flights for endless hours of unique simming plus endless city pairs for enjoying them, especially over my Xplane11 homespun Southwest US Ortho scenery which covers from west Texas to the Oregon California border, and my P3D MSE and homespun Colorado and Wyoming scenery.  A decent PC6 would be fun to have in either sim!  Thanks for the suggestion, there are developers who see our requests and jump at the chance to fulfill them, although dev time may take up to a year unless one is already in the works.

John

Good question, no one's developed a Fairchild version F-27 or FH-227 either, both were popular in the U.S. 

33 minutes ago, jymp said:

Good question, no one's developed a Fairchild version F-27 or FH-227 either, both were popular in the U.S. 

There is one for P3D by Justflight, it's been out for a few years now. Rather decent, includes most civilian F-27 variants.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

I'm not sure they keep "avoiding" making one...I'm just not sure the demand is there.  I'd love to have one in real life, but for flightsim or P3D, I think they'd be boring...cruise speed is around that of a 182, and I haven't really found a good simulation of bush flying in the game.  The PT6 is about as bulletproof and hands off as a turboprop can be, so there's not much in terms of additional workload.

It's a cool airplane for sure. It's capabilities are outstanding.  I just don't think it's qualities would really translate to the game.

Same applies the the Helio Courier! I have been waiting for this great STOL aircraft to appear as payware or freeware since my FS9 days but although we now have a vast amount of simulated aircraft available covering almost all the well known types, no developer ever seems to have given the Helio a look. I had a few hours of real world flying in this and it was an amazing aircraft with bags of power and various high lift devices which gave it a fantastic takeoff run of just a few aircraft lengths and incredible manoeuvrability at very low speeds (under 30kts). The only downside was a somewhat cantankerous engine but that shouldn’t put developers off!

Bill

The same could be said of every aspect of flight sims....Why hasn't any developer developed taxi cab/car rental companies that service the airports?🤡

• Like 1

My goto aircraft for 90% of my flying in P3Dv4 is the Lionheart Quest Kodiak.  It has STOL capabilities and will cruise at 180kts.  Comes in both land and float versions, although I had to adjust the contact points for the float version and disable the sparks in the effects folder for runway operations.

I do miss the FSD Porter that I flew a lot in FS9.  I don't know why FSD won't make it compatible with P3D.  It came in wheel, float, and ski versions with a ton of liveries.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

There is (or was?) an old free model of the PC-6 in the X-Plane .org file library. Probably not compatible with the current XP11 due to major changes in the turboprop modeling.

I remember doing a few flights in it years ago, in FSEconomy. Fun plane for STOL takeoff and landing, and it does that "stand on the prop" thing in Beta for rapid descents. But for all that power, man is it sloooow! It's a real pig in cruise, but that's common for many rugged bush planes with fixed gear.

The good news for PC-6 fans (in X-Plane at least) is that Thranda has a new one in the works, and it looks like it's getting close to release. Thranda is the outfit that does all the Carenado conversions for XP, so the quality should be very good.

Here's the announcement page with some images (also check page 4 for some interior previews): 

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/156262-announcing-the-pilatus-pc6-project/

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Fond memories of the FSD Porter, made even three liveries for it.

A Porter was being developped for about four years for Aerosoft by one of the best indie developpers in this industry, Marcel Felde. His Do27 for Fs9 was nothing short of amazing, inside out. 

It would've been an instant hit and I suppose that didn't encourage any other house to invest time and money there. Marcel gave up some months back for some personal reasons.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, ACR said:

I'm not sure they keep "avoiding" making one...I'm just not sure the demand is there.  I'd love to have one in real life, but for flightsim or P3D, I think they'd be boring...cruise speed is around that of a 182, and I haven't really found a good simulation of bush flying in the game.  The PT6 is about as bulletproof and hands off as a turboprop can be, so there's not much in terms of additional workload.

It's a cool airplane for sure. It's capabilities are outstanding.  I just don't think it's qualities would really translate to the game.

Looking for a good simulation of bush flying ? Two suggestions if I may : the two Papua New Guinea sceneries and the Central Rocky Mountains region which includes Idaho, all from Orbx. You get short flights, challenging navigation and sloped dirt strips . 

A Pilatus would be a dream come true there  (dive landing anybody ?).  

BTW, the PC6 has been discontinued by Pilatus.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 4/16/2019 at 5:01 PM, birdguy said:

My goto aircraft for 90% of my flying in P3Dv4 is the Lionheart Quest Kodiak.  

The Lionheart Kodiak is an excellent product but one which I think sometimes gets overlooked by the flightsim community in favour of more well known bush aircraft such as the Beaver. Lionheart products are also frequently available at sale prices when it is possible to obtain this aircraft for a steal (30% off at the moment at PCAviator).

Bill

On 4/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, domkle said:

Two suggestions if I may : the two Papua New Guinea sceneries and the Central Rocky Mountains region which includes Idaho, all from Orbx. You get short flights, challenging navigation and sloped dirt strips .

Thanks!  I'll check'em out!

On 4/16/2019 at 5:36 AM, ErichB said:

it's not the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft

I second that!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10