Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Shimmering in X Plane 11 (Temporal Aliasing?)

Hello,

I'm noticing a strong shimmering on far distant objects with all tried out graphic settings under X Plane 11.3.
This makes for example the runway in the horizon very blurry. Or houses very unsharp and shimmering at the edges.
I'm not talking about the usual jagginess that can be fixed by Setting MSAA to x8.

Having done some research I believe ist rather the "temporal aliasing".
Is that correct?

A lot of new games already have the Technology TXAA to get rid of that.
X Plane so far has only MSAA and FXAA :(

Is there any chance to solve or reduce this problem otherwise ?

Thank you very much!

Best regards Andreas

Edited by 737Andi

I have the same issue. As far as I learned, there is only one possibility in the present XP11: Choose a setting without HDR. Which however looks pretty dull, thus I opted for shimmering instead of dullness. 

BTW, there have been already threads on the subject

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Make sure to turn on FXAA in the NVCP. 

Matt Wilson

I'd kill for some TAA (TXAA is Nvidia's thing, you just want TAA) in X-Plane. Especially in OrbX's TE GB, some of the shimmering is off the charts, which you need 4xSSAA at least, to bring down to an acceptable level. However, 4K doesn't seem to put a dent in it whatsoever, which makes me think there's some Z-fighting in there as well. However, 4K + 4xSSAA, in an autogen rich environment just murders performance for me.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

even in p3dv4 HDR causes shimmering....i disabled it in p3dv4 and it's great....i hope the xp11 devs fix this issue.

Edited by Arthur42417

I hope there is a solution to this soon, it's quite frustrating and distracting seeing it. Only way so far for me is to disable HDR which I'm not a fan of doing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I hope there is a solution to this soon, it's quite frustrating and distracting seeing it. Only way so far for me is to disable HDR which I'm not a fan of doing.

Even more as xVision needs HDR for most of the functions which I can't live without.

38 minutes ago, Arthur42417 said:

even in p3dv4 HDR causes shimmering....i disabled it in p3dv4 and it's great....i hope the xp11 devs fix this issue.

While I had bad shimmering in P3D over several versions, I don't get it anymore. This is with a 3440x1440 screen, a factory overclocked EVGA 1080TI 11GB and using 8xSSAA. As always, every system is different.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 hours ago, pmb said:

While I had bad shimmering in P3D over several versions, I don't get it anymore. This is with a 3440x1440 screen, a factory overclocked EVGA 1080TI 11GB and using 8xSSAA. As always, every system is different.

8xSSAA with a 1080ti? WOW!

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

Yes, I was quite surprised myself when I first tried it. There are other, mostly CPU-related factors dragging much harder on my system. I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

Kind regards, Michael

21 hours ago, pmb said:

I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

That must be it.

I've noticed, predictably, DRAMATICALLY better performance when there's no Virtual Cockpit and only the "view ahead".

If I had space for it, I'd thought about a G1000 real hardware setup and only scenery on screen, but honestly what I'm really going to go back to is VR once these higher resolution headsets are out soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, irrics said:

I've noticed, predictably, DRAMATICALLY better performance when there's no Virtual Cockpit and only the "view ahead".

Which I can confirm. I made a test with Virtual Cockpit on vs. off even in a C172 time ago and if memory serves me right fps differed between ~22 and ~30 in the same situation. 

And, yes, I am watching out for those higher resolution VR sets, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

On 4/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, pmb said:

Yes, I was quite surprised myself when I first tried it. There are other, mostly CPU-related factors dragging much harder on my system. I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

Kind regards, Michael

I can only run 4xSSAA even with a 2080ti.  8xSSAA is possible during the day but at night it is game over.

Matt Wilson

I only fly during the day.

Kind regards, Michael