Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

Question to FSL A320 owners: How is the performance now?

The more I read about this aircraft the more I want to get it.  I like in-depth study level aircraft and we all know they are few & far in between.  My question is simply, how is its performance now at the latest version?

My sim: P3D 4.4, 9600K@4.8Ghz, 16GB 3200MHz, 1080, M.2 SSDs, Orbox Global, FTX, Skyforce, AS, HD airport textures, UT Live, All PMDG, Maddog, Q400

I don't go crazy with settings or addons.  Everything reasonable.  I typically get 40+ FPS in PMDGs at busy airports.

Thank you in advance!

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I don't count frames necessarily, but I can say that I have never really had poor performance unless very poor weather in a concentrated large city.  Even then it is flyable, just not perfect.  I haven't updated to 4.5 but I can say that my performance with the new release is slightly better in my opinion. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I can't see a system as powerful as yours having much trouble with the FSL A320. I do not have it (yet), but I run the PMDG 747 and 777 on my own system, and it is significantly less powerful than yours (i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GTX 770 GPU).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

27 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I can't see a system as powerful as yours having much trouble with the FSL A320. I do not have it (yet), but I run the PMDG 747 and 777 on my own system

That's not an indication of FSlabs performance unfortunately, fps on my system used to be noticeably lower with FSlabs than with PMDG offerings (https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545098-should-i-get-the-fslabs-a320/?do=findComment&comment=3925402)

Haven't had a chance to test the latest patch yet. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

I do have a 7700K cpu and a RTX2080 graphics card and FSLabs airbuses run very well in P3D v4.5.

Didn´t notice any performance loss or improvement from v4.4 to v4.5.

Edmundo Azevedo

It still hits my system pretty hard.  I turn down my autogen and AI traffic sliders to compensate when flying in complex areas.   9700K (5.1ghz)/ 2080ti

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I can't see a system as powerful as yours having much trouble with the FSL A320. I do not have it (yet), but I run the PMDG 747 and 777 on my own system, and it is significantly less powerful than yours (i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GTX 770 GPU).

The FSL A320 hits my system significantly harder then the PMDG birds.  And that's with a 9700K at 5.1 GHZ. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Wilson

No changes on my side after all updates.....using everything available.....

FYI:

would like to add and I haven't noticed until now....while FPS remain the same or for some reason I think slightly better (?!), CPU usage is slightly higher. Not sure if that's in result from ASP4 beta update, it appears that AS4 pulls some 9% of CPU usage. So not sure if anyone else experiencing similar issue.....6700 here with 32 GB and 1070....otherwise SIM overall very smooth and buttery (of course never at FT CYYZ no matter what I do)

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

It’s improved significantly with each update and is for me not far off the performance of the PMDG birds. This is with a 6700k and 1080ti at sensible settings. 

It’s an incredible add-on and one that should be in any serious simmer’s hangar. The addition of the ATSU in the last update brings a new dimension to operating it realistically and they are always raising the bar. The 321 I’m sure will be a corker. 

My only wish would be for them to revisit the very snatchy toe brakes. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

It’s all about having balanced settings. I have a 4790K with a 1080ti and I manage to maintain 25-30 FPS at all times (locked at 30). I fly exclusively out of LHR and LGW using PSX traffic, ASP4, ORBX OLC, AS Heathrow etc.

It is hands down the most amazing add on I ever got for a sim. I also have the usual suspects (all the PMDGs, Majestic Q400, QW787) and I don’t think I’ve flown anything but the FSL since I got it. Had the Aerosoft Airbus before but got fed up with it, it’s like going from a beaten Fiat Punto to a new Rolls Royce Phantom.

• Like 1

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

11 minutes ago, Speedbird 217 said:

It’s all about having balanced settings. I have a 4790K with a 1080ti and I manage to maintain 25-30 FPS at all times (locked at 30). I fly exclusively out of LHR and LGW using PSX traffic, ASP4, ORBX OLC, AS Heathrow etc.

It is hands down the most amazing add on I ever got for a sim. I also have the usual suspects (all the PMDGs, Majestic Q400, QW787) and I don’t think I’ve flown anything but the FSL since I got it. Had the Aerosoft Airbus before but got fed up with it, it’s like going from a beaten Fiat Punto to a new Rolls Royce Phantom.

Absolutly 💯 percent what 👆 says. 

It's fantastic. 

14ppkc-6.png

5 hours ago, windycloud said:

The more I read about this aircraft the more I want to get it.  I like in-depth study level aircraft and we all know they are few & far in between.  My question is simply, how is its performance now at the latest version?

My sim: P3D 4.4, 9600K@4.8Ghz, 16GB 3200MHz, 1080, M.2 SSDs, Orbox Global, FTX, Skyforce, AS, HD airport textures, UT Live, All PMDG, Maddog, Q400

I don't go crazy with settings or addons.  Everything reasonable.  I typically get 40+ FPS in PMDGs at busy airports.

Thank you in advance!

I have the Q400 and the FSL A320/A319.

So just to give you an idea in comparison to the Q400 (which probably is the high quality aircraft with the best performance of all):

The FSL gives me roughly 25 % less FPS than the Q400 on my system. To compensate for that I turned off the road traffic from 12 % to 0 (never missed it) and turned down the autogen draw distance by one notch from high to medium (got used to that pretty quickly). So with the FSL I eventually have the same performance like with the Q400 but with 0 road traffic instead of 12% and with autogen draw distance medium instead of high - with all other settings the same. For me this sacrifice is definitely worth it.

Certainly this will be different on every system but it might give you a rough estimate of what to expect.

Edited by RALF9636

I am usually one of the strongest critics of the FSL A320 here. On my system, its performance used to be abysmal (around 20 fps over open water, single-digit fps at larger addon airports). The reason is that it uses a lot of CPU power to simulate all those systems, and my CPU is rather dated. I even uninstalled the plane and exclusively flew the Aerosoft bus.

However, today I re-installed the latest FSL update and was happy to see that frame rates are quite a bit better (about 30 fps at SCIP, which is pretty low-level scenery). I am not sure whether FSL optimized the plane, or whether P3D 4.5 is the reason for this performance increase, but I may be able to use the plane again. Under exactly the same conditions, I get about 50 fps with the Aerosoft bus. This is also better than under P3D 4.4, but since Aerosoft released a brand new update as well, it is still unclear whether it is P3D 4.5, the new updates, or a combination that increases the performance.

Peter

To add to the above. On my 5-year-old PC with a 2.5-year-old GFX. 

The setting I use and call "PMDG" and the Setting I use and call "FSL" basically are Auto-gen both back one notch and autogen draw distance back one notch. 

FPS wise I lose around 5% from what I get in the PMDG NG. For me, the PMDG NG and 747-8 are the same the 777 give a 15% boost over the NG -8.

The latest update of the A320 & 319 is stunning, giving a true idea of how real-world pilots work. When the A321 comes out it will be another step. The developers all have a bad case of OCD and it shows in everything you do within the sim. 

Forget it does failures, what it does best is emersion, emersion that no video or words can portray. The emersion level when you do anything within the sim is on a level never seen before. A huge part of that is the sounds.....O the sounds......

Just buy it, drop your setting back a bit and knock yourself out and curse you waited this long. 

To even take it to another level I bought/invested in a new headset, a Steelseries Arctis Pro Gaming Headset and GameDAC....what! the sounds......now on a mind-blowing level! First, take off in an IAE and I was dribbling.....

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip