Sign in to follow this  
Guest jtek

Newly opened KATL runway in FSX?

FS team,With the new 10/28 runway opening this month in KATL, is it too late in the development cycle to make sure that this 9000' runway and associated taxiways/markings are in FSX? ThanksEric

Eric 

Eric,I remember reading a while back when this question was asked that if it wasn't in the Jeppesen data set they used for FSX then it won't be in the release. They likely already completed all the airports but certainly Mike, Jason or Adam will confirm if they can.I, for one, would love to see it in the release since KATL is my home airport. But if it's not someone will certainly add it before long.DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/800FSB) | 2GB DDR SDRAM | 74GB SATA, 10k RPM (C: ) | 120GB SATA (D: ) | 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT (Catalyst 5.13) | Audigy 2 ZS Sound | MS Force Feedback 2 | WindowsXP Pro (SP2) | DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I seriously doubt it will be in there, they use the latest data that is available at the time... the documentation won't show the new airport... Same thing happened with Henderson Executive in NV for FS2004. FS2004 came out right when they opened the new runways, but it was still old data...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Well, that stinks then. I was afraid of that being that it just opened. KATL is a big time airport for VATSIM users and now it won't be there in the default for at least 3-4 more years.Eric

Eric 

Guest tdragger

Because of the lead time involved in processing the airport data we need to take a snapshot pretty early on. I believe the data we use (Jeppesen, FAA and DAFIF) are synchronized somewhere around April 2005. Since this data only includes commissioned facilities, it would not include KATL 10/28. Although, as someone pointed out, I'm sure someone will create an add-on that includes it.

Guest tcable

If an existing addon will do, thera rea few in teh avsim library for CVG, ATL, STL and maybe even MSP. ALl have opened new runways in the past year.Jim Vile's ATL also has a version of the SOuth Terminal and Terminal F (the international terminal that is mired in controversy)Scary that I know this and I'm from Boston! At elst we're finally getting 14-32 here (And Grimmy will need to update KBOS again!)

by any chance have you modified the data to keep meigs open?

I believe someone could make KATL 10/28 with AFCAD in short order...Same with KSTL's new runway...which just opened..I saw the pic of the first plane to land on it in the newspaper.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest tdragger

What was Meig's status as of April 2005?

While we are on this topic, there is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Will we be able to exclude existing flattens? Will we be able to easily change the altitude of an airport? As you know, currently, you have to preload FS with a basic AFCAD with the new altitude data loaded before the default airport, and then use a second AFCAD to lay out the redesigned airport. To remove existing flattens, you currently have to edit the default code. A big no-no.Thanks,Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest EdrickV

That's assuming the current AFCAD software (or the FS9 SDK tools) will be compatable with FSX's AFD system. If not, it may take longer depending on when the SDK comes out. But eventually it will be done. And I'm sure someone will make AFD data for Meigs too. :)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Guest freff

>>I believe someone could make KATL 10/28 with AFCAD in short>order...>And how is that going to impact the AI road vehicle traffic since the taxiways used to access 10/28 cross over interstate 285. Is interstate highway traffic going to stop when it gets to the taxiway leaving the wings of large aircraft to hit the trucks? Can the taxiways be laid on bridges as they are in this real life case?

Guest tdragger

The SDK will ship when FSX does, if not before. (At least that's the plan.)

Hmm, I'm imagining a couple ways this could be handled. Either the traffic won't be continuous, IOW, it will end when it gets to the taxiway, and then new traffic will start on the other side, or they will have a way of "hiding" traffic between two points. Which would be cool if you could have continuous traffic, so that if you see a truck disappear at one point, it then reappears in the same direction at the second point.I'm interested how they will handle this.Bridges would be cool, too, but funny looking if they aren't even with the surface meaning the road would have to tunnel underneath. Imagine the use of current bridges now, the airplane suddenly turns up 45 degrees, scrapes its tail as it goes over the bridge. There would be interaction with the flattens if bridges were used.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest JSPuonti

It's an interesting situation. I wonder if it'll be possible to preserve road traffic within an airport's flatten area? That way you could build the airport *around* the roads.