Sign in to follow this  
Guest jtek

Newly opened KATL runway in FSX?

>2005 - not 2006 ??Well, if you read TDragger's post, he explains why:"Because of the lead time involved in processing the airport data we need to take a snapshot pretty early on. I believe the data we use (Jeppesen, FAA and DAFIF) are synchronized somewhere around April 2005."You can't just plop in the Jeppesen information... much of it needs to be massaged and adjusted. I'm sure they could use 2006 data - if they wanted to release the program in mid-to-late 2007!

Guest Andrew Sullman

I think it might be too late for the New KATL runway

The FS2004 data matches up with changes in the US and many other countries through about Oct 2003 - approx 9 months before release.Apr 2005 will be approx 18 months before release.I've written a couple new FS2004 approaches from charts into XML and am a bit familiar with the data contained. Changing all the approaches when the airport runway designators change is about the easiest task.The older data won't bother me much, but the whiners who complain about not having new procedures the day after the cycle starts will have a field day.

>The older data won't bother me much, but the whiners who>complain about not having new procedures the day after the>cycle starts will have a field day.All whiners will automatically downgraded to FS4 for a six month period. Continued whining will cause the sim to revert permanently to run Zoo Tychoon. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest freff

>I think it might be too late for the New KATL runwayThat is the problem. Since someone will have to come out with an add-on runway... The roads are supposed to be more real and in the right place, and the new runway if properly positioned is across I-285 from the airport and the taxiways cross over I-285. There will be AI cars and trucks trying to drive down that built in I-285 and now various addon taxiways and runways that sit overtop. Something has to give. Either the airport areas have to be able to be modeled in 3d, or the car/truck traffic will have to disappear far enough away not to hit the wings of the largest aircraft, or it will simply be broke. By broke I mean cars will cross the taxiways (bad) or cars will stop and cause an AI traffic jam (bad) or cars/trucks will disappear (bad).We really need 3d airports anyway... sloping runways are something of an interesting situation when landing especially at night with sloping terrain or over water. I heard MSFT's reasons regarding data for not putting in sloping runways, but I have not heard an argument why they can not leave it possible for third partys to fix the default flat runways/airports by sloping the terrain. Additionally for situations like this you really need 3D capability to model bridges/tunnels in airport areas. KATL is not the only airport with taxiways that cross roads. In fact I flew into Nashville a few weeks ago in a small single and there is a runway (2C) and taxiway that crosses right over a road (Murfreesboro Pike). Check out google map for bna.

I can't say which airports are like this, but it is my understanding that there are already 3rd party airports out there built in 3D with sloping runways. Boston Logan V2 by George Grimshaw has road traffic which appears and disappears all over the airport at the correct locations.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Continued whining will cause the sim to revert permanently to run Zoo TychoonI'll have to be careful - my wife loves that program and plays it a lot on my FS computer. :-(

>That is the problem. Since someone will have to come out>with an add-on runway... The roads are supposed to be more>real and in the right place, and the new runway if properly>positioned is across I-285 from the airport and the taxiways>cross over I-285. There will be AI cars and trucks trying>to drive down that built in I-285 and now various addon>taxiways and runways that sit overtop. Something has to give.> As was said, we don't know how that's going to work yet. Maybe roads with their AI traffic won't show over airport flattens...I'd say thats most likely...Rest assured if the past is any indicator, we'll be able to modify the scenery quite a bit.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest jtek

KLGB in Long Beach, CA has runways going over the top of roadways, too. Every time I fly out of that airport, I drive up Lakewood Blvd. and go underneath runway 12/30 on my way to the terminal :)