Sign in to follow this  
Westcoastpilot

North Pole Scenery Issues

I recently completed a flight that took me a few miles from the north pole and something odd was happening with the scenery. I've done a bit of research on this but I haven't been able to find a fix. 

Any ideas?

Untitled.png

Gabriel - CYVR canada_flag.gif

5 hours ago, CitationMustang said:

I recently completed a flight that took me a few miles from the north pole and something odd was happening with the scenery. I've done a bit of research on this but I haven't been able to find a fix. 

Any ideas?

Untitled.png

I've the same.

I don't think there is an fix for this.

..strange.. I don't think FSX exhibits this (P3D was based from FSX after all..). I'll have to check. If that is the case then why would P3D mess it up?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

You shouldn’t be seeing that. Back in FS9 days the Earth was flat but since FSX it’s definitely a globe. I’ve only flown over the North Pole once - a flight in Concorde from Helsinki to Anchorage and got within a degree of it. What I saw was very different to your image.

Not sure what to suggest really. You might get an answer if you post on the L-M forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Do you use active sky? It might be something to do with their high latitude cloud fix. I remember before AS16  in P3D and FSX getting close to the poles caused clouds and terrain to squish up.

Maybe as part of their fix stretching it back out, it no longer meets a nice point anymore?

• Like 1

Perhaps..

I get the squished clouds, but near the pole I just saw white

TjtreFU.jpg

As I got a little closer, the "block of clouds" (I presume this is LOD dictated..) became perpendicular to my flightpath.

zoBLBXB.jpg

I got the momentary speed up as the world rotated around me lol then the latitude began decreasing again.

tjwJozp.jpg

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Maybe he accidentally installed a "global warming" patch?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yeh those pictures make it seem even more likely now. I think they squish the whole world so the tiles can converge to a point, and activesky flattens them back out to squares, which leaves a big hole where the poles should be.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Maybe he accidentally installed a "global warming" patch?

The chemtrail is true fact!! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

15 hours ago, CitationMustang said:

Any ideas?

Untitled.png

I see the exact same thing on multiple polar flights.  I suspect it has something to do with Vector, I don't have show frozen water in winter checked because it causes problems year around.

Ray, do you have Orbx Vector?

Dan Downs KCRP

I flew over the pole in a DC-8, pretty recently, and I didn't see that.  PANC to UUEE.

All I saw was what I expected -- white ice horizon to horizon.

I use Orbx (Vector, LC, Global) too as well as ActiveSky.

Whatever you're seeing with open water must be related to something else you're running (??)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 4/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mace said:

I flew over the pole in a DC-8, pretty recently, and I didn't see that.  PANC to UUEE.

All I saw was what I expected -- white ice horizon to horizon.

I use Orbx (Vector, LC, Global) too as well as ActiveSky.

Whatever you're seeing with open water must be related to something else you're running (??)

I'm also using ORBX Vector, LC and Global with ASP4. Did a couple of tests recently, messed around with the LOD but I haven't been able to find a fix. Perhaps this problem is related to ASN as someone mentioned above?

Edited by Westcoastpilot

1 hour ago, Westcoastpilot said:

I'm also using ORBX Vector, LC and Global with ASN. Did a couple of tests recently, messed around with the LOD but I haven't been able to find a fix. Perhaps this problem is related to ASN as someone mentioned above?

I use ASP4 (ActiveSky for P3Dv4).  I didn't realize you could use ASN with P3Dv4.  

In Orbx Vector, I make sure frozen water is unchecked.

I'll have to do another polar flight soon.  I only did that one flight with P3Dv4 (probably was v4.2 or v4.3) and as I said, I do not remember seeing that water anomaly BUT I am notorious for forgetting things like that.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

43 minutes ago, Mace said:

I use ASP4 (ActiveSky for P3Dv4).  I didn't realize you could use ASN with P3Dv4.

Sorry, I meant ASP4. :blush: