Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Bill Gates ACTUALLY IS taking a total look at your computer! BEWARE!

I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro that came with my Dell. I just tried to validate it and after it FAILED the scan and told me they had no product key they had on file, I immediately called product support at M.S. and what was explained to me really made my hair stand on end!This is the TRUE skinny: This new Microsoft Advantage Checker/Validation program/patch DOES A COMPLETE inventory of your ENTIRE hard drive and ANY Microsoft product you have on your hard drive is inspected and if M.S. does NOT have a registration key for that particular product, it will REFUSE to allow you to update your WINDOWS OPERATIONS SYSTEM.They TOTALLY lied! M.S. claims that they do not HARVEST what you have on your computer

Guest enave

If your system is behind a firewall and if you don't use Internet Explorer or Outlook, then why do you ever need to update? What possible infection or exploit vector is there?SMB? Nope. Firewalled.Unsafe web sites? Nope. You don't use IE. (I realize that firefox may have exploits, but you can still keep that updated)Scripts in email? Nope. You don't use outlook.So, I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

Simple Fix,Delete whatever software that is owned by Microsoft that you do not have a legal right to use, and there will be no problems.The Only Paid MS program I use is XP Pro. Anything else of theirs that I use is Free.IE - Only for UpdatesMoviemakerMedia EncoderFor all my Office Stuff, I use OpenOffice.orgThe last Time I used office was when I had Word 2000 stand alone, and it wouldn't work with xp, nor would my legal version of office.So I said forget them, and never looked back. I have yet to find something that I cannot do in my personal and business life with OpenOffice that would require me to have MS product. NOTHING.Face it, you can either support them, by their rarely updated office crap, or find an alternative source. I choose the alternative.100% Freeware for Private or Commercial entities.http://www.openoffice.orgAs to them scanning, I really don't have a problem with that, but then again, I don't have anything to worry about either. :-)Regards,JoeGrab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

The "MS customer Rep" you claim that you spoke to is some flunky in a call center in Bangalore and has no idea what he's talking about. Apart from anything else, a real MS rep should have simply told you to call Dell anyway - computer manufacturers are responsible for tech support for bundled OS installations.The program does NOT "do an inventory of your harddrive" or "Scan for MS products". All it does is interrogate the program that you're trying to update for a valid CD key. *If* a real MS rep told you otherwise you should have asked for his supervior because he's full of it. Personally, as much effort as MS is putting into making sure that everyone gets that information, I seriously doubt that any MS rep said what you claim.Richard

Guest Matt Johnson

I suggest that you verify this type of allegation before posting here again...Thread locked.