I'm currently running P3D v4.4 with a GTX1060 6GB and a Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4 and SSD. I have a fairly limited budget, and my question is if I would see the biggest FPS increase by upgrading the CPU to a Ryzen 7 2700X, or by upgrading the GPU to a 1070 8GB or RTX2060 6GB.

I know these are fairly specific questions but any help would be appreciated.

Gabriel - CYVR canada_flag.gif

CPU uppgrade  you not see any difference waste of money, GPU go for a RTX2060 think its the way to go, 1060 6gb its not bad but to a RTX2060 is quit a big step

On 4/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, westman said:

CPU uppgrade  you not see any difference waste of money, GPU go for a RTX2060 think its the way to go, 1060 6gb its not bad but to a RTX2060 is quit a big step

Ok thanks. I guess my question now is, should I go for the GTX1070 with the extra 2GB of VRAM, or the RTX2060 with the same amount of VRAM as I currently have? Unfortunately the RTX2070 is over my budget. I'm just wondering how important the extra VRAM would be considering I usually fly with ORBX & PMDG products.

I think you are going to be disappointed if you follow this path.. sorry.

1060 to 1070 is hardly noticeable in most flight conditions..

You did not say under what circumstances you are seeing performance problems.. are you CPU bound (most likely) or GPU bound?

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

1060 to 1070 is hardly noticeable in most flight conditions..

That's what I figured.

I usually find that my GPU is working harder than my CPU, often using very close to 6GB of VRAM. However if I'm not going to see any sort of improvement in fluidity with a 2060, then I'm not going to bother upgrading until I can afford a 2070 or 2080.

Edited by Westcoastpilot

None of the options you listed will provide tangible benefits in a flight simulator.  If you wait until Ryzen 3000 launches later this year (rumor: June/July timeframe) that may provide enough of an upgrade that it is worth your while.  

Or switch to Intel.  If Hasse @westman sees this thread maybe he can chime in with his experience on Ryzen vs. Intel.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC

37 minutes ago, Westcoastpilot said:

That's what I figured.

I usually find that my GPU is working harder than my CPU, often using very close to 6GB of VRAM. However if I'm not going to see any sort of improvement in fluidity with a 2060, then I'm not going to bother upgrading until I can afford a 2070 or 2080.

Working hard and VRAM usage are actually not quite the same thing..

GPU Load % is what you are looking for... (try GPU-Z to monitor)

Bert

1 hour ago, TechguyMaxC said:

None of the options you listed will provide tangible benefits in a flight simulator.  If you wait until Ryzen 3000 launches later this year (rumor: June/July timeframe) that may provide enough of an upgrade that it is worth your while.

Ok. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

GPU Load % is what you are looking for... (try GPU-Z to monitor)

My GPU averages about 50-70% load at busy airports, QW787, moderate settings, which yields 20-25FPS. However if I turn antialias settings to 4xSSAA, that brings the load up to 99% and FPS drops ridiculously. 

i have tested AMD 1800X in P3DV4.4 with differnt GPUS ,1060,1070,1080,1080TI 

the best experiance was with the 1080TI runing 4K 30hz , the Ryzen set at safe 4.1ghz and fast mems (3600mhz C15) its very little diff betwenn 1800x and 2700X if you run same memspeed and clock inside 1%..

a good 2700x can do 250mhz higher clock can give a 5% boost in P3D 1-2fps with a base of 30fps.

compared to INTEL i prefer the AMD before the I7 4790k at 4.8ghz  ( poor loadtimes) prefer the amd before X99 I7 5960X at 4.5-4.6ghz the AMD feels more fluid and good loadtimes. 

8700k 8600k 9900k 9700k 7920x 7980xe is better in P3D thats the one i have tested in P3DV4.4  not tested the 6700k and 7700k in P3D V4.4 think it was with 4.1 therfore a not count them in.

when i tested it was with the same 1080TI exactly same P3D settings with same scenery etc.

probaly i get critic from both INTEL and AMD "blue or red side" but that a can take. its easy to bass out that there Ryzen  SandyBrige or Haswell  is the best without test it themself only see some suspect genaral gaming YouTube vids that not have anything to do with Flightsim P3D or XP.

Edited by westman
  • Upvote 1

Note 4K :wink:

If you are running a 1080p monitor, a 1080ti is overkill IMHO :cool:

Bert