Sign in to follow this  
thecanarian

The big leap forward

I'm currently running a small network (with a router, not P2P) with FSX:SE loaded on the H: partition on my server PC (FSX CD version was originally on C:) plus loads of Orbx, with other software such as AS16, AH2, PFPX, Plan-G etc on the C: drive of my networked client PC. It's all been pretty stable, and SimConnect has been behaving itself for a few years now and I've been really enjoying AH2. I'm well into the planning stage of making the big leap forward to use P3Dv4 and would like some appraisal/criticism of what I'm planning.

My Plan A (for want of a better title, armageddon didn't seem right) is to attempt at keeping both sims separate so I have a fall back position, and if you don't have a plan you can't change it.

• to install P3Dv4 on my C: drive on the server and re-load all my Orbx files as P3Dv4.
  • create a partition on my client and reload all the ancilliary software as P3Dv4.
  • re load all my add-ons as P3Dv4

My main concern are the files required in either MyName\Documents or MyName\AppData especially those tricky ones required for SimConnect. I think I've seen somewhere I may need a P3Dv4 specific version of AS16 but as yet I haven't confirmed that.

I might add that all this has been prompted by Sean Moloney ex Real Air that created my favourite plane the Turbo Duke V2 is now at Vertx Sim and has released the DA62. It does seem that every 2 to 5 years something comes along that makes you re-configure your whole system, from Win 10, to motherboard meltdowns, networking etc, etc, and now to the Brave New World of 64 bit !