Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex333

OT-Your codec problems solved

Guest nem

>Codec pack:>An all-in-one codec pack - 9.25MB>http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec_Pack_All_in_1.htmPersonally I'd have to advise against using "codec packs", though I'll hand it to you that the one you linked is one of the more sensible ones. Though I don't see how the Divx, Xvid, Mpeg etc. codecs included there should help anyone in getting WMV/WMA to play better...>If you'd like another player that handles files better than>WMP:>(Extra bonus, you can slow down all video playback, regardless>of type of format.)>VLC - 7.9MB>http://www.videolan.org/vlc/And if you're using VLC you don't need any extra codecs anyway, because it brings it's own and uses them exclusively. BTW, with VLC I have good sound in the HD trailer, but no picture (as opposed to great picture but distorted sound in WMP). ;)>This should solve most problems of stuttering etc.....Not really... but thanks for the try. :)Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

*sigh*Yes, some codec packs have spamware etc, however, this one is regularly updated and free of all ads, spyware etc. (Thank goodness for that!)Yes too, VLC, has its own codecs, but I thought I'd post the codec pack anyway, as there are other videos available besides FSX and it sometimes 'cures' the problem of spending hours looking for exactly that missing/redundant codec.Odd that you had no picture but sound, mine was the other way around.I ran the video on WMP11 perfectly, just thought I'd post the links as they are an alternative.VLC requires less CPU power to playback files, so those people who have WMP11 on mediocre machines, would have better luck with VLC.

Guest JSPuonti

What kind of black magic did you guys use to get VLC to play the HD FSX footage? I get only sound, no video (with latest VLC version 0.8.5).

Guest nels

Janne,Use a Windows machine not a Mac. The video didn't work with anything on my Mac (VLC, WMP or RealPlayer) but it worked okay on my Windows box.Got alot of stutttering though, didn't playback smoothly at all.

Guest nem

>*sigh*>>Yes, some codec packs have spamware etc, however, this one is>regularly updated and free of all ads, spyware etc. (Thank>goodness for that!)There are codec packs with ad-/spyware? :( Wow, I didn't even think of that... what I meant is that a lot of those packs contain a gazillion of codecs which sooner or later mess up the whole system.But (as I pointed out in the first posting) the one you linked really seems to be different in this regard. I just can't see how it would help much with the HD trailer I'm afraid. :) >Odd that you had no picture but sound, mine was the other way>around.Absolutely. Maybe I should install the latest WMP beta, but then again I don't think I want to be forced to do this sacrifice... not even although I refrained from completely removing WMP from the Windows install CD this time around.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest nem

If you have problems with distorted sound, this is what helped me: run Dxdiag (Start -> Run -> DXdiag) and on the "Sound 1" screen turn "Hardware Sound Acceleration" down to "Basic acceleration". Restart WMP if it was running.Crystal clear sound and smooth video (ok, it was smooth before ;)) since then.Don't forget to reset that acceleration setting afterwards though, otherwise you could run into trouble with other apps/games using the hardware acceleration of your sound card.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>There are codec packs with ad-/spyware? :( Wow, I didn't even>think of that... what I meant is that a lot of those packs>contain a gazillion of codecs which sooner or later mess up>the whole system.Yep, and this one lets you choose which codecs you want to install and you can remove individual ones afterwards incase of any trouble.>But (as I pointed out in the first posting) the one you linked>really seems to be different in this regard. I just can't see>how it would help much with the HD trailer I'm afraid. :) Thats right, but many people seem to battle with other videos as well, so maybe that codec-pack would help them.>Absolutely. Maybe I should install the latest WMP beta, but>then again I don't think I want to be forced to do this>sacrifice... not even although I refrained from completely>removing WMP from the Windows install CD this time around.Perhaps you should try the classic-WMP version (also on your windows CD). Thats the version without all the fancy gfx etc.If I'm not mistaken its installed on your machine during a windows install. (XP version)Try:Clicking Start -> Run -> mplayer2.exe

Guest Traffic

I have WMP11 beta and while it showed most of the video, it seemed to freeze and restart and the sound was distorted. So I just didn't bother anymore.

Guest tdragger

Um, not if he wants to honor copyright law. ;)

Guest JSPuonti

>Janne,>>Use a Windows machine not a Mac. The video didn't work with>anything on my Mac (VLC, WMP or RealPlayer) but it worked okay>on my Windows box.>>Got alot of stutttering though, didn't playback smoothly at>all.Err.. I use a Windows machine :D I don't think I said anything about using a Mac? Soo.. what's the secret sauce for getting VLC to play the HD video correctly on Windows XP?

Guest nem

>Yep, and this one lets you choose which codecs you want to>install and you can remove individual ones afterwards incase>of any trouble.Hmm, fancy that. Ok, I'm taking back my first warning. ;)>Perhaps you should try the classic-WMP version (also on your>windows CD). Thats the version without all the fancy gfx etc.>If I'm not mistaken its installed on your machine during a>windows install. (XP version)>Try:>Clicking Start -> Run -> mplayer2.exeThanks for the tip, but I already got it to run by turning down sound hardware acceleration (see posting below).Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest ditopilot

>Peronally, I just use the DIVX player itself... video works>just fine !>>http://www.divx.com/divx/>>>Just my two cents worth.OK! I downloaded this new player but then what am I supposed to do in order to play this HD trailer. I ask this question because I have the trailer copied in my computer but on WMP. How can I manage it to play in this new player? PLEASE help. I've been trying to watch this trailer since yesterday!!!!

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

Out of curiosity, could I ask what your machine specs are?Mainly interested in the CPU, if its Intel or AMD?(I used AMD over many years and often video playback would crash, even on my 2nd machine with an AMD +2200 it will hang, but ever since I bought an Intel machine (P4 3Ghz) = problems gone.)